Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Feedback > IntelliTXT: Where's the link to the disabling page?

IntelliTXT: Where's the link to the disabling page?
Oneota
Professional Poster
May 13, 2006, 11:10 AM

I know that the page to disable IntelliTXT is http://www.macnn.com/privacy/intellitxt/ but I'm concerned that there's no mention of it on http://www.macnn.com/privacy/ nor is there a link anywhere on that main privacy page to the intellitxt page. How is the ordinary user supposed to disable this feature?

Also, I *HATE* how the IntelliTXT feature only disables for a month or so and then turns itself back on.

Please add a way to permanently disable IntelliTXT. It's extremely annoying and does nothing but engender feelings of anger towards MacNN (and makes me prefer MacCentral as my news source).
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
May 13, 2006, 12:03 PM

Disclaimer: I have zero influence over the MacNN news site and any part of MacNN's IntelliTXT, and I am strongly opposed to IntelliTXT for numerous reasons.

Anyway, the link is in the IntelliTXT popup when you hover over an ad link. In the popup box, the word IntelliTXT and the little question mark next to it are the link to the page. I agree that it's not prominently displayed. At least MacNN lets you disable IntelliTXT at all; no other ad-linked site I've seen allows it.

tooki

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 13, 2006, 02:52 PM

I still don't get it. That page only seems to describe IntelliTXT and what it does. I don't see any information on disabling it on that page. How exactly do you disable IntelliTXT? Just by browsing to the page that describes it?

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 13, 2006, 03:14 PM

There's a link at the bottom of the page that says "Click here to disable."
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 13, 2006, 03:30 PM

^ Not here. I can even use Command-F and search for the word "disable" and nothing turns up.

Oh well. I know what's probably the reason - it turns out I still have macnn.us.intellitxt.com redirected to 127.0.0.1 in my /etc/hosts file. Probably that server needs to be called for the link to show up on the page. Oh well, no reason to worry about it, I was just curious.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Gamoe
Mac Elite
May 13, 2006, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Oneota
Also, I *HATE* how the IntelliTXT feature only disables for a month or so and then turns itself back on.
Honestly, a combination of Firefox, AdBlock Plus and complimentary extensions seems to work for me. It shouldn't have to be that way, but unfortunately that's the way it is, because temptation is far too great for some/most companies and webmasters.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 13, 2006, 06:35 PM

Never turned back on for me...

I must be special.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 13, 2006, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by tooki
no other ad-linked site I've seen allows it.

tooki
RPG.net allows it.

When I checked to be sure I found this:

"Deactivation requires the use of cookie technology. If you should delete or refresh your cookies, please note that the service will be re-activated automatically."

Which may explain why it gets reactivated for some.

Macola
Mac Elite
May 13, 2006, 08:24 PM

Actually, redirecting in the hosts file as CharlesS mentioned has worked really well for me. I wasn't sure if I could use wildcards (e.g., *.intellitxt.com) but apparently I can--no more annoying underlines on other sites as well.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

Oneota  (op)
Professional Poster
May 14, 2006, 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by tooki
Anyway, the link is in the IntelliTXT popup when you hover over an ad link. In the popup box, the word IntelliTXT and the little question mark next to it are the link to the page. I agree that it's not prominently displayed.

Ahhh...I see. I had gone out of my way to *NEVER* mouseover the links, so I had never noticed that.

Heh...guess that ad strategy's workin' out real well for 'em, huh?
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

Oneota  (op)
Professional Poster
May 14, 2006, 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by subego
RPG.net allows it.

When I checked to be sure I found this:

"Deactivation requires the use of cookie technology. If you should delete or refresh your cookies, please note that the service will be re-activated automatically."

Which may explain why it gets reactivated for some.
Hmm, except that I never deleted or refreshed my cookies. I think that every time I disable it, it just makes a cookie with an expiration date of a month or two after the current date.

Oneota  (op)
Professional Poster
May 14, 2006, 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by CharlesS
Oh well. I know what's probably the reason - it turns out I still have macnn.us.intellitxt.com redirected to 127.0.0.1 in my /etc/hosts file. Probably that server needs to be called for the link to show up on the page. Oh well, no reason to worry about it, I was just curious.

Indeed; I just made the same modification, and the little blurb about enabling or disabling IntelliTXT went away altogether. Guess I won't have to worry about it anymore. w00t.

Person Man
Professional Poster
May 15, 2006, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Oneota
Hmm, except that I never deleted or refreshed my cookies. I think that every time I disable it, it just makes a cookie with an expiration date of a month or two after the current date.
So edit the expiration date of the cookie to 2035 or something, which effectively makes it permanent.

Or add the intellitxt.com servers to your hosts file and get rid of it on all sites for good.

Gamoe
Mac Elite
May 15, 2006, 03:54 PM

Person Man, weren't you hit on the head with a frying pan?

Person Man
Professional Poster
May 15, 2006, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Gabriel Morales
Person Man, weren't you hit on the head with a frying pan?
So I've been told...

Gamoe
Mac Elite
May 15, 2006, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by Person Man
So I've been told...

Hehe, indeed. Sorry, couldn't resist! -- Particle Man (iTunes Store), though I prefer this version.

Forum Links
Forum Rules