Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Get your 3rd party burner to work with iTunes and Discburner

Get your 3rd party burner to work with iTunes and Discburner (Page 2)
sushu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 14, 2001, 03:38 PM

i'm also missing the cd master files ... maybe someone could send me those ( [email protected] ). I'll provide the files then on my FTP server so you can download if you want.
g3/315/320mb

kiwidavyd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 14, 2001, 04:01 PM

If any one has a LaCie USB burner that uses a Mitsuru 4804TE mechanism, the hacks mention most likely won't work. I had a lot of problems with CDMASTER programme when trying to burn discs. It would recognise the drive, let me erase discs but not let me burn.

I have tried all of the above hacks.. no joy. Did note one thing though. After upgrading to OS 9.1

kiwidavyd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 14, 2001, 04:04 PM

( hmm part of message seems to have gone for a walk)

& installing iTunes, iTunes could not see LaCie burner. After a lot of mucking around, I deleted TOAST, & re-installed. Now iTUNEs can see burner, & I can extract audio.. still can't burn though.

PeteL999
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 14, 2001, 04:32 PM

sushu -- whats your ftp address, a username, password, and directory. If you want u could e-mail it to me ( [email protected] )

AG3 -- Is it still up?

[This message has been edited by PeteL999 (edited 01-14-2001).]
Are you or are you not the black angel of death

dbergstrom
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 14, 2001, 05:15 PM

GreenspeedPilot: No hard feelings here. As far as I'm concerned, everybody in these forums rocks! We're all joined together in one quest...

JT:

The key to your success is that you're using a SCSI Que drive. Radialogic provides 3 generic drivers for CD Master: ATA/SCSI, Firewire, and USB. The first post in this forum said to make sure that the ATA/SCSI driver is in the Extensions folder - great if you have an ATA or SCSI CD Burner. Those of use with newer external burners probalby have Firewire or USB. The Radialogic Firewire and USB drivers won't work with iTunes/Discburner for some reason, and of course our drives won't work with the ATA/SCSI driver.

We'll all have to wait for Apple to save us. Let's hope it doesn't take too long. This technology is too cool for them to sit on!
Don

snodman
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 14, 2001, 05:18 PM

Sony CRX 140E (8x4x32) and 145E (10x4x32) (internal IDE) drives work out of the box with the drivers that come in Disk Burner and iTunes (you don't need the CD Master drivers at all with those two drives).

Hes Nikke
Jan 15, 2001, 12:48 AM

i don't konw what my copy of iTunes is smoking but it thinks my CD-ROM is my burner, it then goes ahread and ignore my burner.

i don't even want to try disk burner...
iMac, uMac, we all Mac for eMac!

caustic
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 15, 2001, 10:39 PM

I don't suppose anyone could make just the CD Master ATA/SCSI Driver available somewhere? The CD Master demo has dropped off the face of the earth.

My thanks if you can help.

COmie JOe
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 15, 2001, 11:59 PM

people were talkinga about Zip CDRW drives earler, could I use one in my 4400, replaceing my IDE CD-Rom Drive? I was looking at a good deal on one but I was not sure if they had drivers for the mac (if I bought the PC IDE int. drive)

Package
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 16, 2001, 02:18 AM

Originally posted by snodman:
Sony CRX 140E (8x4x32) and 145E (10x4x32) (internal IDE) drives work out of the box with the drivers that come in Disk Burner and iTunes (you don't need the CD Master drivers at all with those two drives).
Ditto for the 12x8x32 160E.

Package

mattmac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 16, 2001, 10:30 AM

Originally posted by snodman:
Snodman - did the CRX 140E work straight out of the box with your mac, as I'm considering getting one, but it's unclear everywhere I've looked as to how well it works in macs?

MrK
Forum Regular
Jan 16, 2001, 06:23 PM

Point of clarification... has anyone gotten an external SCSI drive to work while they still have their internal IDE CD_ROM installed? iTunes is just nifty, but Disc Burner won't mount any of the blank discs.

FYI: For others who asked, Disc Burner is NOT multi-session capable, works best w/ CD_RW becuase it easily erases the disk and writes over it.

schalliol
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2001, 09:07 PM

Ok, I still can't find the software. Could someone please post it or let me know where to find it? I know that many of you have it!!! I only need the stuff for Yamaha, but I think people on the forum need it up.

------------------
Computer Equipment: http://www.schalliol.com/computer.html
AOL IM: JSchalliol
iMac Late '15 5K 27" 4.0 Quad i7 24/512GB SSD OWC ThunderDock 2 Blu-Ray ±RW MBP '14 Retina 15" 2.6 16/1TB iPhone 7+ 128 Jet Black iPad Pro 128 + Cellular

FOR SALE: MP '06 Yosemite 8x3.0 24/240GB SSD RAID 0, 240GB SSD, 1.5TB HDD RAID 0, 1TB HDD, Blu-Ray±RW, Radeon HD 5770

AG3-X
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 16, 2001, 09:22 PM

MY SERVER IS UP AGAIN ON HOTLINE FOR CDMASTER PREVIEW!

Come get it and share it cause im not always up!

whoopsie
Jan 17, 2001, 01:50 AM

I too am looking for the files.. if someone could direct me to a location it would be greatly appreciated!

AG3-X
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 17, 2001, 07:11 AM

I've now also put up an idisk cause Ive had alot of requests...

login: ages

Eugene
Senior User
Jan 17, 2001, 07:30 AM

At this point, it doesn't seem like I'll get my LaCie 8x/20x SCSI to work with what Apple and Radialogic had provided. However, I will try disabling Toast to see if that fixes anything.

My mechanism is a Sanyo, BTW.

------------------
Eugene Chan
[email protected]
http://www.eugenechan.com/

PeteL999
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 17, 2001, 08:07 AM

How do you access an iDisk

AG3-X
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 17, 2001, 10:11 PM

Go to apples site, then go to itool and click on idisk, then enter ages in the public folder and it will pop up on your desktop sloooowly..
Make sure file sharing and appleshare extensions r turned on.

Make sure u r a member here : http://itools.mac.com/WebObjects/iLo...MaHESs7ZTEQWaH

then goto open public folder in the idisk section.

snodman
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 18, 2001, 04:00 AM

Mattmac - yes the Sony CRX 140E should work out of the box, but you will need to install iTunes and Disk Burner along with Mac OS 9.1 for full support. The only way to install Disk Burner is with Tome viewer unless you have a brand new G4, but the Sony CRX 140E or a very close cousin of it appears to be what Apple is using for some of their OEM drives. The Sony drivers that are installed with iTunes support that drive just fine. Retrospect won't see that drive (or any other IDE drive on a Mac) until they come out with a newer version. Same goes for the Direct CD part of Toast. Toast 4.1.2 supports the drive in a Mac just fine, but the current version of Direct CD does not (although Roxio - the Adaptec software spin-off - says a new version of Direct CD is due out any day with support for many newer drives).

schalliol
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2001, 02:26 AM

iTunes with Yamaha CD-R. iTunes can't seem to find my burner though I put in that Yamaha plugin, any suggestions?

------------------
Computer Equipment: http://www.schalliol.com/computer.html
AOL IM: JSchalliol
iMac Late '15 5K 27" 4.0 Quad i7 24/512GB SSD OWC ThunderDock 2 Blu-Ray ±RW MBP '14 Retina 15" 2.6 16/1TB iPhone 7+ 128 Jet Black iPad Pro 128 + Cellular

FOR SALE: MP '06 Yosemite 8x3.0 24/240GB SSD RAID 0, 240GB SSD, 1.5TB HDD RAID 0, 1TB HDD, Blu-Ray±RW, Radeon HD 5770

snodman
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 19, 2001, 02:53 AM

Saw my first 533 G4 today at Fry's (they have lots of both the 466 and 533 models - looks like Apple is building tons of them). The CDRW was indeed a Sony CRX 140E (8x4x32).

[This message has been edited by snodman (edited 01-19-2001).]

Robo-X
Forum Regular
Jan 19, 2001, 07:02 AM

The original poster is wrong. All you have to install is the iTunes then extract from Disk Burner installer TOME the new Finder, Disk Burner extension and Application and install it. All other parts are already installed by iTunes. Copy the two radiologic CD Master plug ins in the System Folder:Extensions:Authoring Support Files folder and change the type and creator to the same as the other plug-ins in that folder.
That is it. Contrary to the first post you do NOT need the ATAPI/SCSI CD master extension. It will conflict with the Authoring Support extension and might not work properly with iTunes.

//Rob

rmarqu8
Jan 19, 2001, 01:38 PM

Is this procedure for the ATA drives, or for USB / Firewire drives? Can anyone confirm what kiwidavyd posted above in getting a LaCie USB drive (Mitsumi CR-4808TE) mechanism to work with iTunes/Disc Burner?

Originally posted by Robo-X:
The original poster is wrong. All you have to install is the iTunes then extract from Disk Burner installer TOME the new Finder, Disk Burner extension and Application and install it. All other parts are already installed by iTunes. Copy the two radiologic CD Master plug ins in the System Folder:Extensions:Authoring Support Files folder and change the type and creator to the same as the other plug-ins in that folder.
That is it. Contrary to the first post you do NOT need the ATAPI/SCSI CD master extension. It will conflict with the Authoring Support extension and might not work properly with iTunes.

//Rob

MrK
Forum Regular
Jan 19, 2001, 07:14 PM

Ok, as per Robs post, I tried disabling the CD MASTER extension. No go. iTunes works, as always, but Disk Burner simply won't mount a disc.

Yamaha External 8824 SCSI.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jan 20, 2001, 03:05 PM

It doesn't work with my LaCie FireWire burner... the CD Master demo can see the FW burner just fine, but iTunes seems to think my internal DVD-ROM drive is the burner...

Oh well, I deleted the Radialogic stuff and put Toast back in... it's really been working okay thus far anyway. Why fix what ain't broke?

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

jeronimo
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 21, 2001, 10:36 PM

I have a G4 400 AGP, with a Que! USB 4x4x8 and iTunes is not seeing my burner... what the hell... I put the drivers in the folder, with the type/creator changed, I had the extensions ATA/SCSI and USB on, than I tryied only with USB on, than without any of those, but... never worked... any ideas? I have Toaster installed... can it be a problem?

------------------
Think Diferente!
Think Diferente!

sushu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 21, 2001, 11:37 PM

Anyone got this working with a Ricoh MP6200(S)?
g3/315/320mb

Lapeyre
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 27, 2001, 11:22 PM

It doesn't work with the Que!Drive USB 4-2-8... It even doesn't work with CD Master ! Is anyone having the same results with this burner?

SezMe
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 29, 2001, 10:27 PM

Looks like the ultimate troubleshooting measure here is whether your burner works with the CD Master installation. In my case, my old Sony 2X CD-R external SCSI is not recognized, though Toast works quite well with it. Needless to say, it's the same story with iTunes. Hope Apple releases a driver to make me happy. How hard can it be?

C-Dev
Jan 30, 2001, 12:25 PM

I'm still trying to find the files to allow my Yamaha 4x4x16 to work... Toast is wonderful, but iTunes would be nice...

mr100percent
Forum Regular
Jan 30, 2001, 12:29 PM

Nope, my Que! USB burner doesn't work with iTunes...yet. I'm waiting for the plugins, and I predict we'll see them the end of february or march.

Yes, I believe Apple will support the burners, and it amazing how many people don't know that their burner will be supported, and you don't have to buy a new G4 for it.

Frankly, I think Apple was better off with DVD. If I wanted a CD-RW, I bought a USB one, or Maybe Apple coulda incluced both CD-RW and DVD in two drive bays, like Compaq did, which they are imitating. Just don't take DVD out of the iBook SE

mrchin
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 30, 2001, 02:51 PM

Basically, what these 81 posts are trying to say is that it doesn't work unless you've got some Yamaha or that same Sony 8/4/32 Internal that's in these new puppies.

USB Zip CD650 4/4/6. Works? yeah, with Toast, but not iTunes. Anyone see that new Toast Ti 5 beta. Trying to look like X but it's pretty ugly.
Dual 2.0 G5/2.5GB/ATI 9800 Pro | MacBook Pro 2.16 Gore Duo/2GB/ATI X1600

whitewlf
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 30, 2001, 05:23 PM

Well, I got iTunes to burn fine from my Yamaha 16-10-40, but, it doesn't encode as fast as I'd like. Even on a G3/400 it can't encode faster than 4.1x even from HD aiffs... though it can rip at 16x, it -supposedly- can rip at 40x, even to the U66 IDE drive or the Ultra2 drives.

I had trouble making the Yamaha an external firewire drive with an ADS pyro case, it did finally work, but, VCD images skipped when played, and had trouble verifying some images. All problems ceased when I put it internally, but, booting from the Yamaha is not working right, and the DVD-ROM in firewire won't boot either.

I tried to make Disc Burn work, but, it didn't mount anything. Perhaps the apple CD or toast drivers or some such conflict is screwing it up...I -like- burning in iTunes...thats cool...but I'd rather be able to use the CD-RW capability, as there is no other way under 9.1 to reliably do so...I believe CDR-FS of whatever is not supposed to be updated for 9.1.

Flipper
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 30, 2001, 09:56 PM

There is a hack floating around on HL that supposedly patches iTunes to work with 3rd party burners. Haven't tried it though. Toast Titanium 5.0b6 works better for now with my external SCSI LaCie. I wish they'd add an equalizer, till then I'm back to using SoundJam.

Zorgon
Jan 31, 2001, 08:52 PM

I have tried all of this, and it almost worked. On my G4/450 Sawtooth, with system 9.1, carbonlib 1.2 and everything. I opened up iTunes, and it recognized my Que! 8X20 CD-R. I set something up to be burnt, and it started buffering (I assume). It was there for quite a while, then stopped and said the burn could not be completed because of an error "-7932." I looked this up, and it says that my SCSI drive is giving back a "nonzero reply." I don't know what this means or hoe to fix it. Could someone please post any ideas they might have?

IFLY2HIGH
Senior User
Feb 1, 2001, 05:53 PM

Ok, I've been tuning into this thread for awhile and I'm ready to try, maybee.

I have a G4-450 with an Adaptec card for my External SCSI Plexwriter CD-R 4x Write and 12x read. What would I have to do to get this to work, or at least try. I have the Bisk Burner file from apple, I got the Cd-Master file from an iDisk, and I also have the TomeViewer. What would I need to do?

Thanks...

------------------
- Eric
- Eric

PeteL999
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 1, 2001, 06:05 PM

Originally posted by Flipper:
There is a hack floating around on HL that supposedly patches iTunes to work with 3rd party burners. Haven't tried it though. Toast Titanium 5.0b6 works better for now with my external SCSI LaCie. I wish they'd add an equalizer, till then I'm back to using SoundJam.
How did you get Toast 5 Beta??????

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 1, 2001, 08:47 PM

Originally posted by PeteL999:
How did you get Toast 5 Beta??????
::::raises hand:::::

me too please.

IFLY2HIGH
Senior User
Feb 3, 2001, 12:37 PM

1. Get iTunes and install it
2. Get the CD Master preview from Radialogic
3. After installing "Cd Master", get the "PlextorCDR" files from the "CD Master Plug-Ins folder"
4. Using Res-Edit, change the Type information to "plug" and the Creator to "burn"
5. Put the modified plugin in the iTunes "Authoring Support Files" folder (folder is in the extensions folder)
6. Ensure that the "CD Master ATA/SCSI Driver" is in your Extensions folder
7. Restart
8. make a test burn with a mp3 to see that your drive is now supported in iTunes...

---------------------------------
This works with my old "SCSI Plextor CD-R (4x Write and 12x Read)"

Disc Burner however did not work. I installed all the new drivers that were in the "Tome" file over my existing files. Disc Burner will now run, but it will not see the blank media in my CD-R. It does say in the about menu that it's to be used with the "Built in Drive"...

Oh well, at least I can burn my mp3's from iTunes now...

------------------
- Eric
- Eric

leslievan
Feb 3, 2001, 09:21 PM

iTunes WILL work with external scsi drives using the RadiaLogic hack. I have a Plextor 12/4/32 scsi drive connected with an Initio ultra wide card and it works fine.

DiscBurner will NOT work with External scsi drives because DB looks for an ATA burner ......perhaps someone could figure out a storagemaster hack for this???

Jaw3000
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 3, 2001, 09:47 PM

All I want is the ability to re-write with Disk Burner.

I find it completly useless witout re-write capability

[This message has been edited by Jaw3000 (edited 02-03-2001).]

kstevens
Feb 4, 2001, 10:21 AM

I have a G4 tower with the dvd-ram drive. does anyone know if it is possible to put the Sony CRX 140E into the bay that normally houses the zip drive? I don't want to lose my dvd-ram drive. Where would I get a face plate for it?

Thanks,

Ken

mlknowle
Forum Regular
Feb 4, 2001, 02:06 PM

Can someone email me a copy of the CDMaster software? I suppose its been pulled from everywhere ;-(

Thanks-

[email protected]

Lordison
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 4, 2001, 02:17 PM

I just got iTunes to work with my Mac on OS 8.6 (found a patch somewhere), and keeping this in mind, would anyone know if it is possible to get iTunes to work with a SCSI Lacie CD-RW?

KILLIANS
Feb 4, 2001, 11:34 PM

Though this is off-topic, could one of you please post (to the best of your knowledge) what CDRW can be popped into an IDE mac and work with the Apple drivers? I know some of the Yamaha drives will but I am looking at purchasing and want to be sure to purchase a drive that is Apple friendly and will work straight out of the box without any 3rd party drivers.

Thanks,

KILLIANS

mkincaid
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 5, 2001, 12:11 AM

Way different and much better than C&G who's still selling SoundJam, considering that the chief programmer of C&G is now an apple employee and SoundJam now seems to be iTune.
Wait a minute... SoundJam has a lot of features that iTunes doesn't. I think that's why they're still selling it.
Playlist composer... visual plugins... equalizer... skins... alarm clock... there has to be an upgrade for people who want these features.

kjb
Feb 5, 2001, 11:02 AM

Sony CRX-140E is THE drive in the new 466/533 G4s. I got it at Best Buy for $100 after rebates. Works great. Update to 9.1 for compatability w/ Disk Burner though. No reason to use toast w/ Disk Burner and iTunes for data and audio, respectively. It does rip rather slowly though. I only see 1.8x-2.5x, and this drops if I'm running anything other than iTunes. I think this is more of a result of my 300mhz G3 than the drive.

kstevens
Feb 5, 2001, 01:28 PM

Did you just replace the cdrom drive with the cdrw?

Ken

El Mariachi
Feb 5, 2001, 03:11 PM

U can easily get Toast Titanium 5b6 on Carracho. I've done it.
It's maby on Hotline also.

It's a great pice of software.

Forum Links
Forum Rules