Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Is it cruel having a cat and keeping it indoors 24/7?

View Poll Results: is it cruel keeping a cat indoors 24/7?
Poll Options:
yes 6 votes (8.57%)
no 64 votes (91.43%)
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll
Is it cruel having a cat and keeping it indoors 24/7? (Page 2)
Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 22, 2008, 03:29 PM

No, it isn't cruel. In fact, most indoor cats will beg to come back in if you let them out for just a few minutes (like RR said).

However, it is cruel to declaw them, it's the same as removing a person's fingertips.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 22, 2008, 07:23 PM

You know, it really isn't. The claws are not a primary digit on the cat's front toes, and they don't walk on their claws. They can still defend themselves, since cats fight more with their teeth and back legs than their front paws. The can still stretch, groom, and generally behave like cats.

All of our cats have been declawed. The oldest, Doodah, lived to be 21. She went outside, constantly caught and killed rodents, got into catfights (and came out unharmed), and was quite happy.

Believe me, I did my research and bought into the hype that declawing will destroy your cat's personality, ruin its litter box habits, make it a biter, and make it hate you forever. I didn't get my first cat declawed. I tried soft paws and clipping her nails regularly. She was okay with it for about six months, when she suddenly changed her mind and would completely flip out whenever I tried to take care of her claws. Then they'd get too sharp, and she started tearing up my carpet. Toys didn't help, scratch pads didn't help, the things you're supposed to do simply didn't help.

There are cats that can be trained not to scratch. There are also cats who are determined to shred your carpet no matter what you do to dissuade them. I ended up having her declawed when she was nearly a year old. Her recovery time was longer as a result. Consequently, I had my second cat declawed when she was 14 weeks. They used the new laser procedure, and when I brought her home the next day, she was bouncing around the house like absolutely nothing had happened to her. She's as loving as ever, and she uses the litter box like she's supposed to.

In fact, in all my family's cats (my mom's siblings have always had multiple cats as well), none of them have ever had the kind of problems people blame on declawing,

And, every time my cats play-fight with each other or use my leg as a scratching post for their claw-less front paws, I am eternally grateful that I had the freedom to have a simple surgery performed that makes everything better for all of us - they're less stressed because I'm not constantly yelling at them and spraying them with water, and they can't shred each other when playing. If you don't want to do it to your cats, that's perfectly fine - but I hope to all that is good and holy that the United States never outlaws declawing over a bunch of animal rights hype,
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 22, 2008, 07:28 PM

I would never declaw a cat. I don't care if they scratch things, I'm not going to pay to mangle an animals limbs.

I love cats because of the animal nature made them, which includes awesome retractable claws.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 22, 2008, 08:55 PM

I love cats because they make wonderful companions and are more independent than dogs (although my two furbabies act more like dogs than cats much of the time).

It's not as though you're cutting off their paws or even doing anything that prevents them from living normal, fulfilling cat lives. In fact, my two cats are the sweetest, most loving animals who love me and love to play and do stupid things (and annoy the crap out of me at two in the morning).

If it's either 12-24 hours of a little pain or a lifetime of constant vet bills from the cats harming each other and antibiotics from scratching the hell out of me...I'll take the declaw.

If I even knew a single cat who reacted the way that alarmists on the Internet describe post-declaw debacles, I might be more inclined to pay attention. But given that I've never seen a single example of a declawed cat being miserable, hateful, mean, or problematic, I'm just not buying it. Not only that, but there's zero proof that a cat with problems wouldn't have had such problems if they hadn't been declawed.

malvolio
Professional Poster
Dec 23, 2008, 12:23 AM

Not cruel for most cats, and vitally necessary if you live in an urban setting.
I have had indoor/outdoor cats when I lived in a semi-rural area (big yard, very little motor vehicle traffic), and I have a word of warning for anyone who is contemplating letting their cat(s) outside:
Cats will blame you for the weather!
Be prepared for your cat to ask to go out, only to change its mind and give you a look of disgust when it sees that there is still snow out there. This scene will be repeated twenty times a day until Spring.
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 23, 2008, 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
You know, it really isn't.
This isn't a debate. Ever seen the claws that have been cut off? They actually remove meat and bone. I'm sure that's painful for the cat, and it does throw off the sensitivity in their front paws. Ever seen a cat killed because it had been declawed? I have. I watched a cat try to get away from a dog (German Shepherd). It climbed 5 feet up the tree, lost it's grip, and the dog snapped it's neck before anyone could reach them. How did the cat get out? A repairman accidentally left the back door open and the cat wandered into the backyard. These things can happen, no matter how careful you are.

I'm not saying you're evil for doing it, I'm just saying it's painful and usually reveals an owner who isn't patient enough to train a cat how to behave. All animals can be trained, even cats, sometimes it just takes a while.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 23, 2008, 10:15 AM

There are two procedures for declawing a cat. The more common is indeed a removal of the last segment of each digit. It's more common because it's faster and easier to do. However, the less common method, which actually preserves both the majority of the final segment of the toe and the toe pad, is more difficult to do because of the size of the digit, and a lot of vets don't "waste time" with this.

NEITHER procedure is "necessary." Cats must sharpen their claws, but if you give them the appropriate scratching post early in their lives, they never bother with furniture, curtains, or anything but their scratching post.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 23, 2008, 10:15 AM

There are two procedures for declawing a cat. The more common is indeed a removal of the last segment of each digit. It's more common because it's faster and easier to do. However, the less common method, which actually preserves both the majority of the final segment of the toe and the toe pad, is more difficult to do because of the size of the digit, and a lot of vets don't "waste time" with this.

NEITHER procedure is "necessary." Cats must sharpen their claws, but if you give them the appropriate scratching post early in their lives, they never bother with furniture, curtains, or anything but their scratching post.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Dec 23, 2008, 11:16 AM

There are two cats for declawing a procedure. The more digit is indeed a removal of the last segment of each common. It's more faster because it's common and easier to do. However, the less majority method, which actually preserves both the common of the final segment of the toe and the toe pad, is more digit to do because of the size of the difficult, and a lot of this don't "waste time" with vets.

NEITHER necessary is "procedure." Claws must sharpen their cats, but if you give them the appropriate lives early in their scratching post, they never furniture with bother, curtains, or anything but their post scratching.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 23, 2008, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
NEITHER necessary is "procedure." Claws must sharpen their cats, but if you give them the appropriate lives early in their scratching post, they never furniture with bother, curtains, or anything but their post scratching.
*head explodes*

Edit: Cabin fever?

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 23, 2008, 11:22 AM

There are two cats for declawing a procedure. The more digit is indeed a removal of the last segment of each common. It's more faster because it's common and easier to do. However, the less majority method, which actually preserves both the common of the final segment of the toe and the toe pad, is more digit to do because of the size of the difficult, and a lot of this don't "waste time" with vets.

I see what you did there.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 23, 2008, 12:17 PM

I LOLed.

Also: as previously mentioned, I vainly attempted to train my cat and avoid declawing for months. It just didn't work. It's not really objectively true that all animals can be trained...at least not within reason. Sure, after ten years of hard work and a lot of slapping, spraying, and yelling, I might get my cat trained. But is ten years (or even five) of that kind of misery really worth it? I just don't think so. I'd rather spend time loving my cats than constantly punishing them.

Cat use their back legs to climb; our cats frequently climbed up trees in our backyard without issue. Yes, there are incidents of declawed cats doing this or that and it's blamed on declawing, but there are also incidents of clawed cats doing this or that. The anti-delaw hype on the Internet is almost entirely anecdotal and meant to shock or disgust pepole. My last veterinarian, who has been a country vet for thirty years, has no problems with declawing. The owner of the animal shelter in northern Indiana where my friend Brian volunteers is a hardcore animal lover, and she sees no problem with it, either. The people who are against it just have a much louder voice, as most protesters do.

andi*pandi
Dec 23, 2008, 01:22 PM

Also: as previously mentioned, I vainly attempted to train my cat and avoid declawing for months. It just didn't work.
be the alpha cat. I have to wrap the cats in towels to trim their claws (and give hairball meds, etc) but I do. They forgive me. I have catnip.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 23, 2008, 02:31 PM

I LOLed.

Also: as previously mentioned, I vainly attempted to train my cat and avoid declawing for months. It just didn't work.
We've been very lucky, getting our kittens really, really young and starting out from the beginning with their training. There is a certain time period in their growth (like with humans and the development of language) where this sort of training works easily and painlessly; get outside that period by even a little and you're up against a steep hill. If not a brick wall. I've had cats like that.

Demonhood
Administrator
Dec 23, 2008, 03:35 PM

i clip my cat's claws every 2-3 weeks. he squirms a bit, but i assert myself and he calms down.

don't think, just because you have thumbs, that i'm afraid of you kitty. cuz i'm not.
he has a scratching post and a cardboard scratcher. he doesn't touch the furniture. really, with some training it's not that hard*.

*individual cat craziness may vary.
( Last edited by Demonhood; Dec 23, 2008 at 04:47 PM. )

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 23, 2008, 04:40 PM

Yeah. It's not like I didn't try here. I waited nearly a year after I got my first cat to finally decide to declaw her.

Not all cats respond well to training. Not all cats will let you hold them down and do things to them, including giving them pills. Our first cat when I was a kid, Doodah, was one such cat. She got extremely violent whenever my mom tried to give her a pill - it was much, much easier to take her to the vet and let him do it.

Fortunately, both of my own declawed cats have effectively disproven every single piece of anecdotal "evidence" on the Internet against declawing, so I'm happy with my decision, as are they.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 23, 2008, 05:59 PM

Not all cats respond well to training. Not all cats will let you hold them down and do things to them, including giving them pills.
How To Give a Pill to a Cat

You're right, it takes the right cat. We've been lucky, and we've been able to get young, VERY impressionable kittens, and we've been diligent in training them. It ain't easy.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 23, 2008, 06:32 PM

My cat has still all its claws. However, it's also not a conventional cat. Some might even call it a turtle:

-t

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 23, 2008, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
How To Give a Pill to a Cat

You're right, it takes the right cat. We've been lucky, and we've been able to get young, VERY impressionable kittens, and we've been diligent in training them. It ain't easy.
I've read that at least once before, but it makes me cry with laughter every time.

A+

CreepDogg
Mac Elite
Dec 24, 2008, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post

I've had to give one of my cats liquid antibiotics through a medicine dropper. I have to say I can relate!

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Dec 24, 2008, 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by Dakar V View Post
*head explodes*

Edit: Cabin fever?
Two days of Christmas break so far, and I've already set up our media center computer with OS X and boxee after trying Linux for about 8 hours. There's also the possibility of adding a touchscreen display to control it all, but we'll see how far that gets. Also I bought Saint's Row and I'm a good way through that.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 26, 2008, 12:43 AM

If you declaw cats right up to their shoulder joints they actually prefer to be inside. They also make excellent doorstops.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 26, 2008, 12:05 PM

^^^

-t

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 26, 2008, 01:38 PM

Two days of Christmas break so far, and I've already set up our media center computer with OS X and boxee after trying Linux for about 8 hours. There's also the possibility of adding a touchscreen display to control it all, but we'll see how far that gets.
Touchscreen? Do tell.

Also I bought Saint's Row and I'm a good way through that.
To use on your buddy's system? Or did you splurge on one for yourself?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Dec 26, 2008, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar V View Post
Touchscreen? Do tell.
My roommate found one for cheap so now we're trying to figure out a way to use the touchscreen to control boxee, whether it's through using dual displays or having a separate computer hooked up to it, then using either boxee's built-in web server (doesn't support controlling video yet) or Remote Buddy.

To use on your buddy's system? Or did you splurge on one for yourself?
Buddy's. I'm currently unemployed and in no position to buy anything besides food right now (oh and...uh...video games I guess). This is the first month I'll ever carry a balance on my credit card (don't tell Railroader).

Hg2491
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 27, 2008, 10:58 AM

This thread has inspired me to get a cat. I'm thinking of getting a female cat, any suggestions on names? Any other suggestions?

Thanks
Hg+

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 27, 2008, 07:29 PM

Adopt from a place that gives the kitty it's shots and screens for worms.

Other than that get the laziest looking one and it'll probably end up being awesome. Also, get two cats

Hg2491
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 28, 2008, 09:07 AM

Thanks on the advice, but I'm getting the cat from a friend that has one-month old kittens. Sadly they are all male, so I'll be the proud father of a black male cat by the end of January. Sweet.

People here are not as enthusiastic of getting a cat, so he will just have my 5-year old Boxer dog to play with No fear, the dog was raised with cats -- I think he believes he is one actually, acting all sophisticated.

Railroader
Banned
Dec 29, 2008, 06:59 PM

This is the first month I'll ever carry a balance on my credit card (don't tell Railroader).

jimd144
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 29, 2008, 07:59 PM

My indoor cats have no complaints.

They sure would if I would declaw them. Why not take your end digit off each finger and see how you like it.

If you don't want a cat that scratches, don't get one.

Declawing is MEAN

@pplejaxkz
Senior User
Dec 29, 2008, 08:20 PM

It's very common to have "house cats." I don't think it's being cruel at all. Now if you're leaving the cat alone for days and days at a time. And not giving it any attention, then I think you'd be being a little cruel.

Hg2491
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 30, 2008, 04:11 PM

If someome has an old iMac laying around and got a cat...

Hg2491
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 8, 2009, 02:07 AM

Ok guys, so I finally got myself a little kitten. Her name is Jenna! She still isn't used to being with me, but we are working on it. She is around 1 month old and I got her yesterday.

Spliff
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2009, 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by Cipher13 View Post
I don't know about cruelty, but if you've got a cat in Australia, you really should keep it indoors. Free-roaming cats should be impounded in my opinion. The ecological damage they cause is monstrous.
Yes, it's far, far worse that what humans have done in Australia.

andi*pandi
Feb 8, 2009, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Hg2491 View Post
Ok guys, so I finally got myself a little kitten. Her name is Jenna! She still isn't used to being with me, but we are working on it. She is around 1 month old and I got her yesterday.

aw! where did you get her? is she a rescue? one month is very young for a kitty.

Hg2491
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 8, 2009, 05:43 PM

A friend gave it to me. Wait, she might be 2 months old then. I had to wait for her to be independent from her mom.

Edit: Yeah, she's two months old; she was born at the end of November.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Feb 8, 2009, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Pfff, get a turtle and get rid of the moral dilemma

-t
I have a red-eared slider. I keep him indoors. Just realized you posted a gigantic pic of one. Too cool!!!
ebuddy

Railroader
Banned
Feb 14, 2009, 12:00 PM

Forum Links
Forum Rules