Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > FileVault a sham? MacLockPick util claims to gain entry

FileVault a sham? MacLockPick util claims to gain entry
Cold Warrior
Apr 27, 2007, 12:22 PM

What's the deal? Has someone found a way to get around or crack filevault? Is our FV image no longer secure?

MacNN | MacLockPick utility extracts passwords

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2007, 12:39 PM

Unless I missed something it did not mention file vault. Not that I use file vault the risk of losing the entire volume if data corruption occurs to too great. of a risk
Michael

Cold Warrior  (op)
Apr 27, 2007, 01:01 PM

It mentioned encrypted disk images. That's basically all filevault is.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Apr 27, 2007, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
What's the deal? Has someone found a way to get around or crack filevault? Is our FV image no longer secure?

MacNN | MacLockPick utility extracts passwords
It's probably a brute force attack. Which only works if you have a lot of time you're spending with the laptop.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2007, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
It mentioned encrypted disk images. That's basically all filevault is.
Oh ok, I was looking for file vault
Michael

Scott-G
Apr 27, 2007, 02:36 PM

After reading the details of this tool and how it works I don't think FileVault is in anyway compromised. This tool requires:

1) The user is logged in, and
2) The investigator has access to the system to run the app.

It works by extracting data out of the unlocked Keychain when a user is logged in. It cannot crack an encryted image that is not mounted and does not have the password stored in your keychain.

It also can not crack your FileVault protected volume if you are not logged in. I.e., your keychain is not unlocked and is inside your encrypted home disk image.

So, if you are worried for some reason, log off when you are not using your system.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 27, 2007, 02:44 PM

Could this be considered commercial malware?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Scott-G
Apr 27, 2007, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Could this be considered commercial malware?
From Wikipedia : "Malware is software designed to infiltrate or damage a computer system without the owner's informed consent"

The docs says nothing is written to the suspect's machine. Notice the word "suspect". Their word, not mine. This, coupled with the fact that only licensed law enforcement agents can buy it, implies that informed consent isn't necessarily required (i.e. a warrant).

So, the short answer IMO, is no it is not malware.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 29, 2007, 11:00 AM

Anyway, using FileVault so a legitimate law enforcement agency can't get in to your computer with a valid warrant isn't going to help. If they have a valid warrant, claiming you "forgot" your password is a good way to land your butt in jail on contempt of court charges.

Basically, if they can find the encrypted image, you're compelled to supply the password.

There is an open-source application, don't recall what its called, for Windows and Linux (coming soon for MacOS X, IIRC) that produces an encrypted disk image that doesn't exit in the file system as a discrete file, thus it cannot be differentiated from random data on the HD platter surface. You just have to make sure no log files exit of your use of it.

Cold Warrior  (op)
Apr 29, 2007, 11:27 AM

Unless you are a U.S. person and take the 5th Amendment - i.e., providing the password would incriminate yourself (because you'd be giving law enforcement access to incriminating information). Therefore, you invoke your right against self-incrimination.

Rainy Day
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 30, 2007, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by Scott-G View Post
if you are worried for some reason, log off when you are not using your system.
Or set your keychain to auto-lock after n-minutes of inactivity.

Forum Links
Forum Rules