Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Stereo bluetooth headset for use with MacBook Pro

Stereo bluetooth headset for use with MacBook Pro
nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Apr 17, 2009, 09:55 AM

I'd really like to get an A2DP headset to use with my MacBook Pro (currently I'm using my iPhone earbuds and I keep pulling them out every time I lean back...), but I've heard that the A2DP in the MBP isn't great and that it might not work that well. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Alternatively, I plan on upgrading my iPhone if/when they release the next gen (which will hopefully be this summer) in which case I'd just use the headset with that.

So either way I'd like to get the headset in the near future, so if anyone has any recommendations I would very much appreciate it.

nonhuman  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 21, 2009, 02:56 PM

Nothing? Seriously?

spiff72
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 25, 2009, 10:16 PM

I haven't bought it yet, but this is the one I have been looking at for use with my ipod/iphone/computers...

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-DR-BT21IK...75XSRAXTMYWBPQ

It includes the ipod bluetooth adapter.
"Mac Daddy" - 15" MBP, 2.2 GHz Core i7, 8GB, 750GB HDD
"Mommy Mac" - 13" Macbook, 2.4GHz C2D, 2GB, 160GB
"Baby Mac" - 15" PB, 1.5GHz, 1.5GB, 80GB
64GB iPod Touch (4th gen)

Atheist
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2009, 01:17 AM

I'd be leery of bluetooth headsets. I've had nothing but trouble with them. Kernel panics related to A2DP. Here's just one of several discussions on the Apple support site regarding the problems. I finally gave up and bought a cheap USB headset. Works like a charm.

spiff72
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 26, 2009, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Atheist View Post
I'd be leery of bluetooth headsets. I've had nothing but trouble with them. Kernel panics related to A2DP. Here's just one of several discussions on the Apple support site regarding the problems. I finally gave up and bought a cheap USB headset. Works like a charm.
Interesting...

I hadn't heard about that. I was really looking to use them with an ipod or iphone (or a blackberry), and maybe on my PC at work)...

Thanks for the warning about using on a Mac!
"Mac Daddy" - 15" MBP, 2.2 GHz Core i7, 8GB, 750GB HDD
"Mommy Mac" - 13" Macbook, 2.4GHz C2D, 2GB, 160GB
"Baby Mac" - 15" PB, 1.5GHz, 1.5GB, 80GB
64GB iPod Touch (4th gen)

Cold Warrior
Apr 26, 2009, 11:14 AM

I've had no problems with Plantronics bluetooth models, although they weren't A2DP.

Atheist
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2009, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
I've had no problems with Plantronics bluetooth models, although they weren't A2DP.
I'm almost certain it's the A2DP implementation on Leopard. I never had any trouble under Tiger. Upon upgrading to Leopard I started getting kernel panics. With each successive update of Leopard it got worse. I mostly used the headset with Skype however I would still get kernel panics just trying to use the headset for listening to iTunes.

Now that Skype is on the iPhone (the greatest thing since sliced bread if you ask me), it's not much of a worry.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2009, 12:28 PM

Plantronics just announced a new Mac/PC unit that looks appealing. Google it.

-Allen Wicks

Forum Links
Forum Rules