Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Are Canada and the United States losing their Identities?

Are Canada and the United States losing their Identities? (Page 9)
Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Mar 10, 2011, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by freudling View Post
And the housing. Why the hell should anyone have to pay $400,000+ for a standard 550-650 square foot 1 bedroom apartment in Vancouver? Or a million dollars for a half-decent house...
Because, that's what the market can bare.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 10, 2011, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
The same could be said about the armchair critics who whine about a world changing fast than they're able to keep up with and demanding a larger government to step in and regulate the undesirables away.
...whilst moving their business offshore to avoid paying taxes...

This guy kills me
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 10, 2011, 01:17 PM

Meh. The same could be said about the armchair critics who whine about a world changing fast than they're able to keep up with and demanding a larger government to step in and regulate the undesirables away.
Except the problem is larger government is already involved in encouraging it because its profitable. When government puts money ahead of the wellbeing of its citizens its times to bitch and complain.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 10, 2011, 02:35 PM

Because, that's what the market can bare.
Hey Paul, how is that Tax Avoidance and Evasion going anyways?
( Last edited by Athens; Mar 11, 2011 at 12:36 AM. )

freudling
Banned
Mar 10, 2011, 07:52 PM

Meh. The same could be said about the armchair critics who whine about a world changing fast than they're able to keep up with and demanding a larger government to step in and regulate the undesirables away.
This comment is pretty standard for you, isn't it? That's just a guess. It's indifferent and an oversimplification of things... sitting in your basement in Calgary, you're right in the middle of it all. We can all look to you for guidance in society.

I'm on the cutting edge of technology in my business, and am well off. But unlike you, I actually give a shix about other people... about social change that has negative consequences for people, society, and our country.

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 10, 2011, 10:02 PM

Could Argue he's cutting edge to working for Kingston BioTech lol
( Last edited by Athens; Mar 11, 2011 at 12:35 AM. )

freudling
Banned
Mar 10, 2011, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by Athens View Post
Could Argue he's cutting edge to working for Shaw lol
LOL.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Mar 10, 2011, 11:03 PM

What is with tracking down and posting my personal info?
( Last edited by Wiskedjak; Mar 11, 2011 at 12:40 AM. )

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 10, 2011, 11:54 PM

Anyone posting personal information about another member will be banned. I hope this is clear enough.
Nemo me impune lacesset

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 10, 2011, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by ThinkInsane View Post
Anyone posting personal information about another member will be banned. I hope this is clear enough.
What about public information since he has posted both of those in these forums which is how I came across them. Its hardly private when its public....

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 10, 2011, 11:57 PM

wtf is with the personal attacks and tracking down and posting my personal info? Did I strike a nerve that caused you to turn stalker?
Personal attack?

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Mar 11, 2011, 12:40 AM

Personal attack?
I've retracted that.

freudling
Banned
Mar 11, 2011, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by ThinkInsane View Post
Hey, ThinkInsane, if you hadn't noticed, which clearly you hadn't, Wiskedjak's location is listed in his public Avatar.

Cold Warrior
Mar 11, 2011, 06:38 PM

It wasn't about location.

Any other issues or questions should go to PM.

freudling
Banned
Mar 12, 2011, 07:41 AM

I've retracted that.
Nuff said. Moving on...

Athens:

Thanks for posting those videos.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 14, 2011, 08:54 PM

Wow, this UCLA student's rant about Asians went viral. The original youtube video was remove. Still a bunch of reposts.

YouTube - Asians in the Library: UCLA Rant

What she said wasn't even half as racist or offensive as some of the post here in this thread. I'm surprise it went viral. Must be a combination of a few factors. Finals week, UCLA, Tsunami, and White blonde chick with big boobs.

Some Asian dude's response.

YouTube - White girls in the library

Maybe Athens can post a youtube video with his rant against Asians. He'll need to get himself a push-up bra though.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 15, 2011, 04:27 AM

She is def dead on about the Cell phones and manners.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Mar 15, 2011, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
What she said wasn't even half as racist or offensive as some of the post here in this thread. I'm surprise it went viral. Must be a combination of a few factors. Finals week, UCLA, Tsunami, and White blonde chick with big boobs... Some Asian dude's response...
ebuddy

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 16, 2011, 01:10 AM

Apparently talking about immigration issues, policies, trends and problems are racist in the eyes of the reverse racist.

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 16, 2011, 01:20 AM

Getting back to the video I posted from the UBC speaker, he brought up a good point. Immigration vers transients. The transients, those that never intended to stay here or learn our ways and are only here for a single purpose are the ones that stand out the most. So its probable not fair to lump the immigrants, those that intend to start a new life and stay here. Sadly most of our population seems to be transients.

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 6, 2011, 10:07 PM

Guess I was not to far off the mark after all

White children in the minority in 10 states – This Just In - CNN.com Blogs

Though this shouldn't really be a problem as long as the Children are Americanized and not speaking their own language as the only language. This is just looking at racial numbers of whats visible not really looking at immigration itself. But I still think its valid to post on here.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2011, 06:52 AM

Guess I was not to far off the mark after all

White children in the minority in 10 states – This Just In - CNN.com Blogs

Though this shouldn't really be a problem as long as the Children are Americanized and not speaking their own language as the only language. This is just looking at racial numbers of whats visible not really looking at immigration itself. But I still think its valid to post on here.
OMG, poor White folks. They might become a minority.

Athens, why don't you just admit you are afraid that White folks might not be a majority in the near future and that makes you fearful. You are just rationalizing your fear by making a bunch of non-sensical arguments. It doesn't take a genius to know it was about race all along.

Asians can't drive.
Asians don't bother learning English and our laws.
Asian 'culture' is dirty and disgusting.

Oh most immigrants are transients and don't plan to stay long, so they don't bother learning our laws and language.
Oh most immigrants are staying too long and having too many kids. They don't bother learning English because they are Hispanic and Asians.
Oh, too many immigrants are Asians and Mexicans, and not enough White immigrants.

Yes Athens, those Asians and Mexican immigrants don't bother learning English or our laws because of their 'culture'.
Yes Athens, all those European immigrants such as Irish, Polish, Italian, and French who came here 100 years ago don't have a problem learning English and following our laws because they are White and from the superior European 'culture'.

Yes, Asians don't know much English, but somehow Asians have the highest high school and college graduation rates in the US. The only way to explain that fact is that Asians must have lied and cheated their way through school and college, knowing that Asians break the law and don't follow the rules because of their dirty and disgusting 'culture'.

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2011, 06:44 PM

OMG, poor White folks. They might become a minority.

Athens, why don't you just admit you are afraid that White folks might not be a majority in the near future and that makes you fearful. You are just rationalizing your fear by making a bunch of non-sensical arguments. It doesn't take a genius to know it was about race all along.
Im a minority now, whats this future stuff... and no its not about race. Might be for some but race means nothing.

Asians can't drive.
Most Asian immigrants can't, not my fault the testing and license system in a lot of Asian countries are pathetic.

Asians don't bother learning English and our laws.
The migrant ones don't, the ones that don't intend to make this their new home. I was in error lumping immigrants and migrants together. I didn't really know the difference until a ASIAN presented a good lecture about it

Asian 'culture' is dirty and disgusting.
Now who's racist....

Oh most immigrants are transients and don't plan to stay long, so they don't bother learning our laws and language.
Ya its a big problem here, Vancouver is a investment and School city. They only come here to buy up property for investments and used our post secondary schools for Degree education before going home. Turns out its this group that is causing the most problems even for immigrant Asians too not just born Canadians.

Oh most immigrants are staying too long and having too many kids. They don't bother learning English because they are Hispanic and Asians.
What, Huh? Who said that.

Oh, too many immigrants are Asians and Mexicans, and not enough White immigrants.

How about more blacks, for us more Mexicans, more of everything else. More Cubans, More Haitians, More Brazilians, More Jamaicans, More South Africans, more Egyptians, More Iranians.... The world does not revolve around China, Korea, Philippines and India....

And yes more Ukrainians, More Russians, More New Zea landers, More British, More Dutch, More of the white kind too....

Yes Athens, those Asians and Mexican immigrants don't bother learning English or our laws because of their 'culture'.
And I take it you agree to this. You tell me this. What would happen in Japan if a flood of Americans moved to Japan and started demanding every one learn English, that signs be in English and took no interest in learning Japanese or Japanese culture? Oh wait, can't happen because of very strict immigration control. Same for China and South Korea. You want to talk about racists go look at the policies of some of these countries and rules. Most of them don't allow permanent immigration except for some of them if you end up having a child or marring a resident. So if you think its to much to ask that immigrants that come here to live at least learn the basics of our laws, rules, ways of doing things and our language then I must ask you why the double standard. Where is your out cry for all these other countries that close the door on immigration out right. And more importantly what is your thinking process on this. How do you justify the complete and total annihilation of one culture to suit the demand for another that is foreign?

Yes Athens, all those European immigrants such as Irish, Polish, Italian, and French who came here 100 years ago don't have a problem learning English and following our laws because they are White and from the superior European 'culture'.
Last time I checked we still all speak English except for Quebec which speaks French. Last time I checked most of the offspring from the immigrants ended up learning English. My dads side is polish and as far back as I can find they spoke English. My moms side came from France in the 1600's and and even though the family came from Quebec they spoke English in English Canada. I really don't know what your trying to say, but yoru sounding pretty racist for thinking Whites are superior?

Yes, Asians don't know much English, but somehow Asians have the highest high school and college graduation rates in the US. The only way to explain that fact is that Asians must have lied and cheated their way through school and college, knowing that Asians break the law and don't follow the rules because of their dirty and disgusting 'culture'.
WOW dude you are racist, that is pretty mean thing to say. I hope you get banned for that. Get help.
( Last edited by Athens; Apr 7, 2011 at 07:04 PM. )

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2011, 08:38 AM

Last time I checked we still all speak English except for Quebec which speaks French. Last time I checked most of the offspring from the immigrants ended up learning English. My dads side is polish and as far back as I can find they spoke English. My moms side came from France in the 1600's and and even though the family came from Quebec they spoke English in English Canada. I really don't know what your trying to say, but yoru sounding pretty racist for thinking Whites are superior?
Last time I checked, all the children of those who immigrate to Canada speak either English or French fluently and are highly "Canadianized"...and their children, will be even more so.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that your "mom's side who came from France in the 1600s" moved to Quebec for a reason - because the French culture was the only thing they could identify with in the New World. Then their descendents learned English, and then they ended up with you - an ordinary, boring Canadian with no culture at all!

It's a process.

greg

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2011, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
Last time I checked, all the children of those who immigrate to Canada speak either English or French fluently and are highly "Canadianized"...and their children, will be even more so.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that your "mom's side who came from France in the 1600s" moved to Quebec for a reason - because the French culture was the only thing they could identify with in the New World. Then their descendents learned English, and then they ended up with you - an ordinary, boring Canadian with no culture at all!

It's a process.

greg
And no, the new trend is children being born here never learning English until primary school. Canadian born children having to be put into ESL classes because the first exposure to English is at 6+ years old. And a good number of migrants children who arrive here at what ever age including high schoolers speak little to no English.

Well that and Quebec was a French colony of France so it kinda made sense. My grand parents and mom learned English when they immigrated to BC from Quebec, even to this day despite being a "bilingual" country, you cant function well speaking only French in BC. The 2 most important languages you can learn for Vancouver is English, Mandarin and to some degree Punjabi. And I would be willing to bet I am more culturally aware then you. Do you actually know anything about anywhere outside of Your home state?
( Last edited by Athens; Apr 8, 2011 at 05:40 PM. )

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2011, 09:07 PM

Tried to post this last night but site was down

2007 4 year old article on the subject from the Vancouver Sun Chinese Vancouver: A decade of change

At the end of the article it tries to point out 9 good things about the invasion and I look at them and I dont see it the same way.

So I wanted to comment on them here.

9 WAYS THE HONG KONG HANDOVER CHANGED VANCOUVER FOR GOOD

1. Arrival of the 'New Chinese'

The "New Chinese" now live in every part of Vancouver and have transformed its society in almost every way. New waves of Chinese migrants from Hong Kong began 40 years ago after the 1967 Immigration Act created a points-based system that rewarded family reunification as well as education and professional status. Anticipation of the 1997 Hong Kong handover led to even greater numbers of Hong Kong Chinese coming in the 1980s and 1990s, under both the points system and new Business Migrant and Entrepreneur and Investor immigration programs.
I think the point based system sucks. It makes it a lot harder for immigrants from many other places of the world to come here. Africans for example with lower education and professional status don't qualify, at least not in enough numbers. So many groups around the world are excluded under the point system.

2. Desegregation of the city

Chinese people now live in every part of Vancouver. The Hong Kong Chinese helped with this desegregation, continuing a trend that had been begun by the waves of Hong Kong Chinese that came in the 1970s after the 1967 immigration reform. The maps on page A1 by researchers Andrew Yan of SFU depict the changing distribution of Chinese in Vancouver since the 1970s. David Ley of UBC's geography department has studied the "monster house" uproar and the reactions to Hong Kong Chinese moving into neighbourhoods such as Kerrisdale and Shaughnessy that had previously been overwhelmingly white.
One the monster houses are still horrible.... and now most areas are 60+% Chinese or Asian which pretty much drowns out the diversity we had before hand with all the different cultures that make up this planet.

3. Hong Kong Chinese changed the real estate market and transformed the city

One look at the Vancouver skyline reveals the enormous effects that Hong Kong developers had in providing capital and shaping the development of Yaletown/False Creek and Coal Harbour, initiating the "Hong Kong High Rise" boom in downtown Vancouver. Less visible is how ownership of property throughout the city and the dominance of Chinese Canadian real estate brokers and agents has also transformed the real estate business of the city.
BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD, in a single generation the city has become unaffordable for most of the original population. Wages do not keep up with the cost of living and now its mostly a city for the rich world class people to live in.

4. Richmond is now 50-per-cent Chinese and a unique product of the Hong Kong Chinese

From farmland and almost no Chinese, the city of Richmond now has one of the greatest urban concentrations of ethnic Chinese in North America. Chinese developers pioneered a unique style of strata mall and transformed Richmond into the new commercial hub of Chinese commerce in the Lower Mainland. A unique amalgam of older Hong Kong-style malls such as Parker Place and the North American strip mall, Richmond's commercial development was greatly shaped by Canada's Immigrant Entrepreneur and Business Migrant programs of the 1980s.
Don't have much of a comment. I didn't know the city before the migration.

5. Debut of 'astronaut' families and the safe, stable 'Switzerland of the Pacific'

Vancouver is now a global city that is one stop within the Pacific world. Two thirds of male Canadians of Hong Kong origin between the ages of 25 and 40 live and work outside Canada. Large numbers of Vancouver residents have multiple homes throughout the world, creating great demand for real estate in Vancouver, but also leaving many condominiums unused for portions of the year. Like Switzerland for Europe, Vancouver is considered a safe place for storing money (not in banks, but in real estate) and a good place to send children to school.
BAD BAD BAD for us locals and other immigrants not rich.....

6. Best Chinese food in the world

Because a number of high level chefs came from Hong Kong, combined with the abundance of fresh seafood, Vancouver has acquired a reputation as the home of the best Chinese food in the world. Because of the variety of migrants to the City and because Hong Kong had originally been a diverse magnet for so many different kinds of Chinese, Vancouver has developed a diversity of Chinese food cuisines (Hong Kong style, Teochew, Shanghai), making it more like SE Asian cities such as Hong Kong and Singapore in terms of variety, which is unique in North America.

Thirty years ago if someone needed Chinese groceries or wanted to eat Chinese food, he or she would have to go to Chinatown, but now every neighborhood has Chinese groceries and Chinese food. This includes the growth of new concentrations such as 41st and Victoria, and the spread of T&T Supermarkets, along with Chinese restaurant owners and customers in unlikely parts of the city.
GOOD GOOD GOOD, this is one good thing out of all the immigration.

7. Higher education has been transformed

Vancouver has become an international educational hub, with SFU, UBC, and a host of community colleges that attract students from all around the Asia Pacific. The role of the Hong Kong Chinese in this transformation was critical, being the first major wave of foreign students to B.C. in the 1980s and 1990s.

The Hong Kong Chinese transformed the class structure of the city, beginning in the 1970s after the 1967 Immigration Act's point system encouraged educated migrants to Canada, but spurred the most by the influx of professionals from Hong Kong who left in anticipation of the 1997 Handover, and resulting in a boom in university educated migrants whose children have filled Vancouver's colleges and universities.

In particular realms such as higher education, the impact of Hong Kong Chinese donors has been enormous. Both UBC and SFU have had Chinese Canadians who were born in Canada as Chancellors, but walking around the campus at UBC quickly reveals the impact of Hong Kong Chinese donors -- the Chan Centre for Performing Arts, the Sing Tao Building, the Choi Building at UBC -- but also donations such as airline tickets from Cathay Pacific to help university students travel and become more globally aware.
Good and Bad, its bloody hard getting into UBC and SFU because its full.

8. 'White' collar professional labour force transformed

Chinese migrants have shifted in a single generation a white collar labour force that was truly "white" to one that is now increasingly Chinese. There are so many who entered professions in the 1970s who were the "first" Chinese in a company or in their workplace, a fact that is easy to forget now that there are so many Chinese in every field.
I really don't know about this one, almost every upper manager I've seen has been a immigrant of some sort.

9. Chinese give back to the city

Although the Hong Kong Chinese have only been in Vancouver for several decades, they have made an enormous impact on the landscape of charitable giving and philanthropy, from organizations and institutions close to home such as S.U.C.C.E.S.S. and Mount St. Joseph Hospital to mainstream institutions and organizations. The crucial role of Dr. David Lam, former Lieutenant-Governor of B.C., in promoting this engagement of newly arrived Hong Kong Chinese, built a long lasting foundation for philanthropy.
Obviously not bad, but other cultural groups contribute to like the Croatian's

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2011, 09:40 PM

WOW dude you are racist, that is pretty mean thing to say. I hope you get banned for that. Get help.
You obviously think Whites are superior and worry that Whites might no longer be a majority in the near future.

I'm glad you finally realize how racist some of your comments are.

You are the one who said Asians have a dirty and disgusting culture, who can't drive and don't bother to learn English and follow our laws.

I keep asking you, how do you explain that Asians in the US have the highest graduation rates in high school and college if they don't know much English? I'm pretty sure almost all courses aside from foreign language course are taught in English in high school and college.

You are obviously blinded by your bias and ignoring the facts.

What makes you think these Asians immigrants and Mexican immigrants won't all be speaking English in about 100 years from when they first immigrated to the US/Canada?

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2011, 11:11 PM

You obviously think Whites are superior and worry that Whites might no longer be a majority in the near future.
No I don't, seriously how can you mistaken immigration reform and issues of unbalanced immigration with white superiority. Do you even read the posts.

I'm glad you finally realize how racist some of your comments are.
I haven't said anything racist.

You are the one who said Asians have a dirty and disgusting culture, who can't drive and don't bother to learn English and follow our laws.
No I didn't. Your the only one saying Asians are dirty and disgusting. I love almost all the Cultures from Asia especially Chinese. Don't mean I want my home to be converted into China or India. If I want to live in CHina I will move to China.

I keep asking you, how do you explain that Asians in the US have the highest graduation rates in high school and college if they don't know much English? I'm pretty sure almost all courses aside from foreign language course are taught in English in high school and college.
You dont need good english to get goo grades in University. Math is math, Science is science.

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2011, 11:44 PM

You are obviously blinded by your bias and ignoring the facts.
Had to cut my post short because my Chinese Manager (think shes Chinese) brought her kids over to see my hedgehogs.

Any ways the only person that seems to be blind is you for some reason you totally ignore the issues and focus on total BS claims of me being a racist which I laugh at because one I don't believe in race, two I dont know how many times I focused on cultures not race, three im confident I have proved my point but if not ask me to clarify anything you feel I didn't. Four if I was racist I wouldn't have a very diverse group of friends which include South Africans, a Nigerian, a Cuban, Russians, a Korean, Chinese, Algerian, Iranian and a few other ethnic backgrounds. I actually only have maybe 4 white friends out of my core group of friends. And btw all of them including the Chinese friends bitch about all the Asian immigrants too.

What makes you think these Asians immigrants and Mexican immigrants won't all be speaking English in about 100 years from when they first immigrated to the US/Canada?
Because most of them would be dead? Average life span of some one is 81 years? The immigrants will probably learn English at some point, I did point out my error with not distinguishing immigrants and migrants. The migrants have no reason to learn English because they don't plan to be here for more then 15 years for what ever purpose it is that have them here which is usually school or property investments. The only reason many of the CANADIAN BORN children are learning English for the first time at age 6 is because of ESL classes starting at kindergarden. And some of them are going to speciality private schools that teach in their own language so they never learn English and with so many Asians here especially the Chinese they almost dont need to learn English except for a few words.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 9, 2011, 07:14 AM

And no, the new trend is children being born here never learning English until primary school. Canadian born children having to be put into ESL classes because the first exposure to English is at 6+ years old. And a good number of migrants children who arrive here at what ever age including high schoolers speak little to no English.
So?

These are simply educational barriers - how are new immigrants who barely speak English supposed to teach their 4-year-old how to speak it? Only way is through school (public or preschool) or meeting other English-speaking kids. By the time they're 8, those kids will have no problem speaking English at all, and will then be fluent in two or three important languages - which you keep telling me is pretty key in a Vancouver job market, no?

So who cares if immigrant children arrive here speaking little English? How were they supposed to learn English in another non-English country? That's not a barrier to children or teenagers - they learn and assimilate very quickly. And their children will be as Canadianised as you can get.

Well that and Quebec was a French colony of France so it kinda made sense. My grand parents and mom learned English when they immigrated to BC from Quebec,
Oh reallllllly! So you're saying that they didn't even know English when they moved to English-speaking Canada! And had to try to learn it afterwards! Wait a minute, haven't you been arguing against this practice this entire thread???

even to this day despite being a "bilingual" country, you cant function well speaking only French in BC. The 2 most important languages you can learn for Vancouver is English, Mandarin and to some degree Punjabi.
You can't function well speaking only French in any area of Canada outside Quebec, parts of NB, and some small pockets scattered around the country. What's your point? French is a dying language, and Mandarin and Punjabi are not.

And I would be willing to bet I am more culturally aware then you. Do you actually know anything about anywhere outside of Your home state?
See, where I live, we call them "provinces." And I've lived for years in 4 of them, in areas we call "Atlantic, Central, and Western", and I've travelled through all 10 of them, including one of the ones we call "territories."

How about you, killer?

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2011, 02:43 AM

Because most of them would be dead? Average life span of some one is 81 years? The immigrants will probably learn English at some point, I did point out my error with not distinguishing immigrants and migrants. The migrants have no reason to learn English because they don't plan to be here for more then 15 years for what ever purpose it is that have them here which is usually school or property investments. The only reason many of the CANADIAN BORN children are learning English for the first time at age 6 is because of ESL classes starting at kindergarden. And some of them are going to speciality private schools that teach in their own language so they never learn English and with so many Asians here especially the Chinese they almost dont need to learn English except for a few words.
Then you don't have anything to worry about.

Those non-English speaking Asians and Mexicans immigrants will die out in 100 years and their grandchildren will all be English speaking Americans and Canadians, just like what happen 100 years ago.

In 100 years, Athen's grandchildren will have a new wave of non-English speaking immigrants to complain about. Maybe all those Arabic and Farsi speaking immigrants?

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2011, 03:02 AM

No I didn't. Your the only one saying Asians are dirty and disgusting. I love almost all the Cultures from Asia especially Chinese. Don't mean I want my home to be converted into China or India. If I want to live in CHina I will move to China.
Um.. you specifically singled out Asians such as the Chinese and East Indians. You even posted photos to prove that they are dirty and disgusting. You said western culture is superior.

All I said is that it isn't their culture, it's their socioeconomic situation. Most Asian immigrants come from poor countries.

You dont need good english to get goo grades in University. Math is math, Science is science.
Um.. okay.

How do Asians get straight A's in English, US History, Math, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and so forth without knowing much English?

You're telling me you can go to China, take a high school course in Biology that's taught in Chinese, and get good grades on exams where all the questions are written in Chinese?

I bet you if you didn't know any Chinese, you would flunk every single course except for maybe Math.

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2011, 03:58 PM

Then you don't have anything to worry about.

Those non-English speaking Asians and Mexicans immigrants will die out in 100 years and their grandchildren will all be English speaking Americans and Canadians, just like what happen 100 years ago.

In 100 years, Athen's grandchildren will have a new wave of non-English speaking immigrants to complain about. Maybe all those Arabic and Farsi speaking immigrants?
Thats not what is happening. The children are not learning English. You have 17 year old teenagers who hardly speak any English who are born here because they don't need to learn it. For the migrant families once they finish University they go back to Asia and then come back later to start their own families and the cycle continues. These are not immigrants these are the migrants.

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2011, 04:44 PM

Um.. you specifically singled out Asians such as the Chinese and East Indians. You even posted photos to prove that they are dirty and disgusting. You said western culture is superior.
I never said once western culture is superior. Not once. Western culture is full of fat lazy people. I did single out East Indians because the wealthy well off East Indians that live here toss out garbage and old furniture on the streets and in the parks where they live. I think it has more to do with being cheap.

All I said is that it isn't their culture, it's their socioeconomic situation. Most Asian immigrants come from poor countries.
Most of our Asians are super wealthy not poor. But lets look at the socioeconomics of the situation then and lets focus on India again because as far as I know you don't have slums in China, South Korea or Japan. What does it say about a societies culture if such a large slum can be ignored. Many other countries have very poor populations, yet they don't have "slums" So maybe there is a culture aspect to some of it.

How do Asians get straight A's in English, US History, Math, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and so forth without knowing much English?
Um because you dont have the same problem. What US city has 65% + Chinese population. NONE (yet)
Interesting report about ESL and International and Domestic students and it seems a large portion of them do suffer English issues. But to really answer your question I had to call Paul, a Korean friend who went to UBC to find out. The answer was group study, those that hardly spoke any English at all had assistance with English classes from those that did speak it better. On top of that most of the Material at UBC is also available in Chinese as well. His younger sister is at SFU and says the Internet plays a big part in assisting those that hardly speak any English. BTW his family moved here 20 years ago and spoke no English. Within 5 years they where all fluent in English except the parents which learned only functional English. I asked him why they learned it and it was because they had to. Not many people spoke Korean when he moved here. He said the same thing im saying, immigrants today dont bother because you don't need it. You can do almost everything in Chinese.

You're telling me you can go to China, take a high school course in Biology that's taught in Chinese, and get good grades on exams where all the questions are written in Chinese?
Yup as long as I have access to study groups with people who speak English to help me and the Internet.

I bet you if you didn't know any Chinese, you would flunk every single course except for maybe Math.
I would flunk Chinese I think I would do ok in History, Biology, Math and everything else. Being a typical North American I wouldn't put the same effort into it as us North Americans are dam lazy about school. But im pretty sure I could get a passing grade as long as I had access to the Internet.

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2011, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
So?

These are simply educational barriers - how are new immigrants who barely speak English supposed to teach their 4-year-old how to speak it? Only way is through school (public or preschool) or meeting other English-speaking kids. By the time they're 8, those kids will have no problem speaking English at all, and will then be fluent in two or three important languages - which you keep telling me is pretty key in a Vancouver job market, no?
I only start to care after 15 years of living here and they still cant speak any English and you have to try and speak their language just to communicate with them.

So who cares if immigrant children arrive here speaking little English?
I don't care.......

How were they supposed to learn English in another non-English country? That's not a barrier to children or teenagers - they learn and assimilate very quickly. And their children will be as Canadianised as you can get.
Immigrants yes, migrants no, they dont bother ever learning it because they will eventually go home make there millions then come back much later to start a family.

Oh reallllllly! So you're saying that they didn't even know English when they moved to English-speaking Canada! And had to try to learn it afterwards! Wait a minute, haven't you been arguing against this practice this entire thread???
Like good immigrants they learned it thats totally different from not wanting to and not learning it as many of the migrants are doing. If most stuff was in French and they didn't need to learn English they probably wouldn't have. But since thats not the case they had no choice. Just like the Arabic have no choice and have to learn English or the Ethiopians and well every other culture on the planet that moves here. Chinese and for the most part East Indians don't because you don't need to. Need to call shaw, select 4 for Chinese. Need to go to the store go Chinese store. Want to see a movie, no problems go to a Chinese theater with Chinese films. Need to communicate with a co-worker, no problems because of reverse discrimination hiring managers only hire with in the ethnic group they belong to. This is why one 7-11 will have all Chinese workers in it and another one will have all Philpeno workers in it. Need to go to the hospital, no problems they have Chinese speakers there. Need to take your drivers test, no problem you can bring a translator or hire a translator. Watch TV, no problem we have more CHINESE TV stations then we have French TV stations. As a Chinese person you do NOT need to learn another language to live in this city. And many of them don't, including born here children.

You can't function well speaking only French in any area of Canada outside Quebec, parts of NB, and some small pockets scattered around the country. What's your point? French is a dying language, and Mandarin and Punjabi are not.
You can't function speaking only Chinese very well in Calgary or Edmonton either. You can in Vancouver.

See, where I live, we call them "provinces." And I've lived for years in 4 of them, in areas we call "Atlantic, Central, and Western", and I've travelled through all 10 of them, including one of the ones we call "territories."

How about you, killer?
BC, Alberta, Ontario. Be doing a trip to the Yukon this summer and maybe Alaska just for kicks. Must be nice living in places that are still mostly white, which are still affordable to be commenting on a problem that does not affect you ... yet.
Washington, California, New York State

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2011, 05:04 PM

And all of this doesn't matter, there is TO MANY of one Culture taking over everything. Its as simple as that. Closed the door to South Asia and open the door for the rest of the world.

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 5, 2011, 02:13 AM

Another find example of immigrants pissing over our values

Human trafficking arrest made in Vancouver - British Columbia - CBC News

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 5, 2011, 10:47 AM

You really want to go there? An immigrant has done something against "our values"? Well gee ****ing whiz, I wonder what you'd think if a "Canadian" did something against our values? I bet you'd be posting that shit on here every minute...oh, wait.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 5, 2011, 11:17 AM

Exactly. Athens' rants are just tiresome xenophobia.

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 5, 2011, 02:28 PM

So I guess your both ok with slavery? Because this isn't the first time and wont be the last time. And estimates are a lot more people imported from other countries illegally enslaved to other immigrants. Last year a Chinese woman was busted for sneaking her servants in from Hong Kong illegally and was almost slave like conditions. But hey you both are ok with human slavery so im wasting a post here. You guys are perfectly ok with importing criminals, and culturally incorrect people and not screening for suitably correct people. How sad. Was a time when you had to prove you could fit into our society to be allowed in.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 5, 2011, 02:37 PM

My problems with Athens' posts in this thread is that they don't really have much of a productive purpose. What exactly is actionable out of all of this, Athens? Practical stuff, that is?

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 5, 2011, 02:46 PM

I have but, its some place within the 10 pages. 1 DONT CHANGE THE IMMIGRATION TESTS TO LOWER STANDARDS BECAUSE TO MANY PEOPLE FAILED. They changed the test to make it easier to get into the country because the previous test had a high failure rate of 85-90% so they changed the questions around so they could get a 60% pass rate.

Ask people important questions like are you ok, can you accept that your wife is a free woman in our society that you can not force her to do X Y Z
Are you ok with homosexuals, they are apart of our society and are to be treated no different then others.

and so on, a bunch of questions to which they have to answer yes or no to on a bunch of the cultural differences and have them sign a contract that any breach of these fundamental values means being kicked out on your ass.

If a man from India or Cameroon hell even a redneck from the USofA says homosexuals scare me, I can't accept them its automatic disqualification for entry. So what if we end up denying 90% of the immigrants we have coming here now. It will open the door for those who are compatible who cant because the quota's are full with incompatible people. Every new person here with the exception of Americans should be put on the exact same driving system as new drivers and require driver training. They must prove they will be taking language classes if they don't already speak English and be required to provide a progress with that every few years to see they are in-fact making a real effort to learning the language.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 5, 2011, 03:54 PM

So I guess your both ok with slavery? Because this isn't the first time and wont be the last time. And estimates are a lot more people imported from other countries illegally enslaved to other immigrants. Last year a Chinese woman was busted for sneaking her servants in from Hong Kong illegally and was almost slave like conditions. But hey you both are ok with human slavery so im wasting a post here. You guys are perfectly ok with importing criminals, and culturally incorrect people and not screening for suitably correct people. How sad. Was a time when you had to prove you could fit into our society to be allowed in.
You lack basic logic skills. Disagreement with your use of X for the purposes of Y, doesn't mean either of us agree with X. Maths: it's not complicated.

The only sad part here is that you apparently believe that you're logical, and yet you make basic logic errors such as this one on a continual basis. Yikes.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 5, 2011, 04:03 PM

Last year a Chinese woman was busted for sneaking her servants in from Hong Kong illegally and was almost slave like conditions.
This has nothing to do with immigration laws. We could change them exactly how you like, and this would still happen.

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 5, 2011, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
This has nothing to do with immigration laws. We could change them exactly how you like, and this would still happen.
Some will always get through yes, but it wouldn't be a flood gate like right now... Just have to wait for Toronto to Catch up to Vancouver over the next 20-30 years for you to really understand I guess or for you to move here for a while. The migrant immigrants are really ruining it for all, the regular immigrants and the locals.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 5, 2011, 05:07 PM

The migrant immigrants are really ruining it for all...
The who?

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 5, 2011, 06:28 PM

the migrant immigrants, the ones that come here for 5-15 years with the sole purpose of putting a kid through university or purchasing properties and what not with no intentions of staying or becoming part of our society. They come here for a purpose then go back home. Some are short such as putting a teen into university when graduated the family goes back to Hong Kong. Some are longer those that decide to raise a family here then go back home. Vancouver is a Pacific RIM economic destination zone, only city in Canada that deals with this kind of immigrant. I used to lump them all together but after watching a UBC presentation from a immigrant Asian who came here to start a new life and to be part of the community he did a great presentation on this other kind of immigrant the kind that causes a lot of the problems for locals and immigrants trying to start a life here. They are responsible for the 400% housing price increase over the last 15 years and why the medium home price through out Metro Vancouver is now 800k approaching fast to a million. The medium home price in Vancouver proper is 1.1 Million now. They are the ones that buy drivers licenses, never learn any English at all and are very disrespectful to every one. Basically rich snoobs. I admit when I started this thread I had lumped all the Asians together because at the time I didn't know about the migrant kind. And half way through I clarified which is also why its more of a Vancouver only problem and not a Toronto or LA problem. Its part of being in the Asian Economic zone. And its not just white people bitching about these people. Chinese and East Indians some born here, some who moved here a while ago also bitch about the same people. I can see this becoming a bigger problem in other Canadian cities down the road though as Vancouver gets to pricy to park money in. Migrant families coming here for University are about the only ones you will see of this kind right now. Im not talking about students that come here then go home im talking about entire families that come here and leave together when im talking about University. I'll have to find the presentation again. Maybe it will be more understandable watching it from a Asian.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 5, 2011, 06:43 PM

I used to lump them all together but after watching a UBC presentation from a immigrant Asian who came here to start a new life and to be part of the community he did a great presentation on this other kind of immigrant the kind that causes a lot of the problems for locals and immigrants trying to start a life here. ... They are the ones that buy drivers licenses, never learn any English at all and are very disrespectful to every one. Basically rich snoobs. I admit when I started this thread I had lumped all the Asians together because at the time I didn't know about the migrant kind.
Well, I guess you've moved up to a more cultured kind of xenophobia, so you have that going for you. Which is nice.
They are responsible for the 400% housing price increase over the last 15 years and why the medium home price through out Metro Vancouver is now 800k approaching fast to a million.
Wrong. The immigration levels are set by the Federal gov't. They have no idea whether people are coming to stay permanently. If these "migrants" weren't coming taking those spots, permanent immigrants would. The numbers wouldn't change, and the housing price influence would stay the same.
And its not just white people bitching about these people. Chinese and East Indians some born here, some who moved here a while ago also bitch about the same people.
Whoa, whoa, hold the phone: non-whites can be xenophobes too?!

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 5, 2011, 07:00 PM

I'm not xenophobic at all buddy. If that's the best you can do you have a weak mind. Im not racist and I have no prejudice. I have a issues with unbalanced immigration and bad policies. That's not xenophobia. open the flood gates to Africans. We need a ton more of them. We could use more Hispanics as well. Closed the door on the Chinese, East Indians and Filipinos until the other cultures catch up in numbers. In order for me to fit the bill of xenophobic, I would have to hate a race for being a different race or a culture for being a culture that is different. Let me put it to you in terms that might be easier to understand. I have 100 blocks on a table. It used to be a verity of colors, not one color really stood out more then the others. Over the years slowly all the blocks started becoming one color until over 60% of them are now that one color. All the other colors together make up the other 40%. I liked it and want it to be multicolored. In real terms I want to see more Black people from Africa and the Islands immigrating here. I want to see more Mexicans and South Americans moving here. I want to see more Europeans moving here to balance everything out.

And your wrong about the housing prices because there is no set limit on how many homes a migrant can buy. A single owner could purchase 20 properties. A immigrant tends to buy a single house to actually live in. Permanent immigrants are hurt by this too. I welcome more permanent immigrants whole heartily. They are usually people who plan to start a new life here and adapt and become part of the community. I wish more permanent immigrants would take up ALL the sports so the migrants couldn't come here at all. Though I rather more immigrants come from Africa, Europe, Caribian, South America. Asian needs the door closed for a decade so numbers can balance out.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 5, 2011, 09:14 PM

I have but, its some place within the 10 pages. 1 DONT CHANGE THE IMMIGRATION TESTS TO LOWER STANDARDS BECAUSE TO MANY PEOPLE FAILED. They changed the test to make it easier to get into the country because the previous test had a high failure rate of 85-90% so they changed the questions around so they could get a 60% pass rate.

Ask people important questions like are you ok, can you accept that your wife is a free woman in our society that you can not force her to do X Y Z
Are you ok with homosexuals, they are apart of our society and are to be treated no different then others.
So they learn what the "correct" answer is, lie, immigrate, and carry on their life in accordance to their existing beliefs. What does all this accomplish? Ziltch...

So, I await something practical.

Forum Links
Forum Rules