Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > 9.9.2014 Wish we could say more.

9.9.2014 Wish we could say more.
ajprice
Professional Poster
Aug 29, 2014, 05:03 AM

Apple's next iPhone event confirmed for September 9th

Just a hunch, but I think it could be something to do with an iPhone...

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 29, 2014, 09:28 AM

"Wish we could say more"? It's a device that mutes people

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2014, 01:13 PM

It was Steve's last project. He called it the.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 29, 2014, 05:22 PM

Do we expect anything more fancy than the bigger screen?
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Aug 29, 2014, 05:31 PM

Do we expect? Yes.

Will we get? Only Tim and the ghost of Steve knows.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 29, 2014, 05:57 PM

Battery life? Longer talk time?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 29, 2014, 05:59 PM

I got my iPhone 5 when it came out this time two years ago, so I'm getting ready for something new. If the 6 has a version that's the same size/smaller, I'm in. Otherwise I'll just get a 5s after their price drops.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2014, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
I got my iPhone 5 when it came out this time two years ago, so I'm getting ready for something new. If the 6 has a version that's the same size/smaller, I'm in. Otherwise I'll just get a 5s after their price drops.
I wish they would keep a 4" model around, but none of the rumors showed anything like it.

4.7" is too big to be operated by one hand. That sucks balls. We're only going to get mini iPad Mini's with a radio.

-t

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 29, 2014, 09:58 PM

The rumour is a slightly larger one and an even larger one than that.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Aug 29, 2014, 10:42 PM

i would love a 5.5" or even a 5" screen. But it will probably be 4.7" and Craig will tell us it's so much better to have a small screen.

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2014, 11:59 PM

If they don't keep the current size, I'm pretty hosed. I pretty exclusively use it one handed.

[pulling knob joke goes here]

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2014, 05:44 AM

Yep, I'm worried about this, too.

A phone too big to be comfortably operated one-handed is much less useful to me. We'll have to see how it's balanced and handles, but argh.

Apart from the iPhone 5/s already being nearly too big to pocket.

davidflas
Mac Elite
Aug 30, 2014, 06:56 AM

I heard that just before his death, Steve found a way to create devices that need not adhere to the law of conservation of mass. Therefore, what we are likely to see is a single device that change change sizes from the current 4" screen up to the size of an iPad Air.
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 30, 2014, 09:15 AM

I really don't see much of an issue making it larger...5" screen is definitely too large a form factor to comfortably use one-handed for me (hands on the smallish size), but you do get used to it surpringly quickly, especially if onscreen controls are well-designed to minimize having to reach to the top of the screen. The S5, HTC One, etc. all sell like gangbusters, and once you open a web page on one you know why - the difference vs. the iPhone is night and day. I think at least part of that is the widescreen aspect on the iPhone, which is a dumb idea anyway; the iPad screen is so much nicer to use than the widescreen Android tablets, and I never understood why Apple bizarrely insisted on doing it opposite with the iPhone. Hell, my Blackberry Z10 screen is only 4.2", but it feels far larger than the wife's iP5 mostly due to ratio IMO.

Logically, I had suspected that Apple will initially go with 3 models - continuing the "old" iP5s as they normally do, a new midrange (say 4.75") model, and a phablet 5.5" that mostly seems to draw those with on-demand purses. If they can trim the bezel from what Samsung or HTC currently have (not an unreasonable expectation from Apple) and cut down the form factor as much as possible, I think a 4.7" screen is probably the sweet spot and would cannibalize almost all 5s sales.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Aug 30, 2014, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
The S5, HTC One, etc. all sell like gangbusters, and once you open a web page on one you know why - the difference vs. the iPhone is night and day.
And youtube, gaming, etc. For me, and just MHO, I don't care about using the device with one hand.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2014, 12:16 PM

I guess it all comes down to hand size. I can handle a 4.7" phone one-handed, but beyond that requires two.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 30, 2014, 12:36 PM

I'm with Shaddim. I think I could probably deal with 4.7" one-handed. No bigger though.
I walked past a guy talking on one of the giant Samsungs earlier and they are simply ridiculous.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2014, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
I guess it all comes down to hand size. I can handle a 4.7" phone one-handed, but beyond that requires two.
I have big hands, and I'm a keyboard player. But I can't deal with my friend's S5. At least, I can't *grip* the phone, and that's kind of important when you're out in the streets.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2014, 05:06 PM

The GS5 has a 5.5" display, that's considerably larger than a 4.7".
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2014, 06:33 PM

Oh, good.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Aug 30, 2014, 06:42 PM

Given the choice, I'd rather browse the internet and whatnot on my GS5. But I'd rather carry around my iPhone 5 and I'm relieved when I can leave the Galaxy at home.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 30, 2014, 07:15 PM

And the big screen phones sell well because they are cheap and phone vendors get better cuts of the profits so they push them harder than the iPhone.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 30, 2014, 07:15 PM

Given the choice, I'd rather browse the internet and whatnot on my GS5. But I'd rather carry around my iPhone 5 and I'm relieved when I can leave the Galaxy at home.
This is why Apple (re)invented the tablet market.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 31, 2014, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
And the big screen phones sell well because they are cheap and phone vendors get better cuts of the profits so they push them harder than the iPhone.
Also, because when you walk into a store and pick them up, the screen - what you look at every time you touch it - is so much more amazing that it's just not funny. (Leaving iOS's increasingly-public-knowledge shortcomings aside for the moment.)

IMO it is likely that the things people do most on their cell phones (other than talking, or perhaps not...) - web browsing, watching video, gaming, looking at or working in particular apps - are vastly improved by a larger screen; other than talking on the phone, there is almost nothing I would rather do on an iP5 instead of an iPad. But that all has to be balanced with being able to walk around with it and do other things at the same time, so there is clearly some magic size ratio out there. The current iP5s errs too far on the side of convenience (although the screen ratio means it's still a bit too long to carry) - the screen is just slightly too small to be comfortable and while doing any of the above things you are constantly wishing it had more real estate IMO. While something like the new HTC One (5" plus huge bezels) seems too big - unless you have huge hands and a purse (two things that, as a generalization, do not often go together, unless your name begins with D and rhymes with Shmakar), you're often making awkwardly stretched one-handed gestures or trying to find a convenient place to stuff it.

Assuming top and bottom bezels are here to stay for the foreseeable future, something a little smaller than the current-gen flagship 5" phones would be ideal IMO. Whether you use a 5" screen and just reduce the bezel a lot, or use a slightly smaller screen, we should find out shortly.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 31, 2014, 03:44 PM

One of my favorite "value" phones is the Moto X; great size and hand feel, amazing OLED screen (the best 4.7" display out there), very responsive, good weight, with lots of newer features. It's unique in the segment in that, although its largely made of plastic, it somehow doesn't feel cheap or junky. In fact, if it had a microSD slot, or at least a 64GB built-in option, and a slightly better camera, it would be a serious contender for best phone under $300* (it is the best one under $200, hands down).

*unsubsidized
- Thomas Paine

mindwaves
Sep 3, 2014, 12:49 AM

I may buy an iPhone 6. I'm coming from an iPhone 5. I will not buy an iWatch because I would have to charge it every 2-3 days under the very, very best battery situations. I prefer my $40 Timex where I can wear anywhere (including to sleep and in the shower) and not have to charge it at all (5+ years on the same battery).

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 3, 2014, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by mindwaves View Post
I may buy an iPhone 6. I'm coming from an iPhone 5. I will not buy an iWatch because I would have to charge it every 2-3 days under the very, very best battery situations. I prefer my $40 Timex where I can wear anywhere (including to sleep and in the shower) and not have to charge it at all (5+ years on the same battery).
I've just assumed that any iWatch would be something like a better Galaxy Gear - not meant to be a standalone product in and of itself, but something that mostly interfaces with your phone so you always have several core functions immediately on tap (time, messages list, calls, perhaps health information, etc.).

I mean if it looks and works good, I'd buy something like that in addition to an iPhone 6.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 3, 2014, 10:39 AM

In the past week, I've gone from... "I'm 100% upgrading to the new iPhone" to "meh, maybe...".

I used to be on an AT&T Family Share Plan with my wife and parents. We paid $265 a month and when we bought a new phones it worked with the old subsidization model. You pay $199, and you're eligible to upgrade in 2 years. Using this model, it doesn't make a lot of financial sense to keep your phone for more than 2 years. You're essentially making extra "payments" on a phone you've already paid for. It was ridiculous and I hated it.

So now they have this AT&T Next program, and the plan rates are significantly cheaper. Instead of $265, our family now pays $175. When you get a new phone, you either pay for it up front or you pay it off in installments on your phone bill. There is no interest on these installments. They just divide the price of the phone by 24 and that's what you pay.

It seemed like a no brainer to switch, so I did.

The problem is that now, all of a sudden, you're hit with the realization that you're actually paying $650 for your iPhone. Are the new features of the iPhone 6 really worth $650 over what I have now in the iPhone 5? Probably not. I'm going to wait and see. Let's see how strong I am.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 3, 2014, 03:50 PM

Don't forget it'll still be worth $300 or so when you sell it to buy an iPhone 7.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 4, 2014, 12:25 PM

I just bought a cheap droid tablet to hold me over - another thread entirely, but what a mess THAT OS is.

I will upgrade to new iPhone - but not until spring. I also plan on getting iPad mini, but not so sure just yet.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 4, 2014, 01:40 PM

Bad (improperly optimized) Android is the worst.
- Thomas Paine

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 4, 2014, 01:54 PM

As seems to be the case with iOS.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 4, 2014, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
Bad (improperly optimized) Android is the worst.
It's been a week and I'm still tweaking...

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 4, 2014, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
As seems to be the case with iOS.
It's night and day with android and iOS, neither is perfect but I think iOS is pretty damn slick and much easier to use, if simplistic. I can't wait to test out iOS 8 - a few more days....

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 4, 2014, 02:45 PM

I like the interface. I feel there's a lot of under-the-hood stuff which is poorly optimized.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2014, 12:39 AM

I'll be upgrading from my aging iPhone 4 no matter what comes out, even if it looks like a resurrected brown Zune.

My only question is whether I should stay with my AT&T plan (450 minutes, 200 texts, unlimited data, $70/month) or if I should change plans and/or carriers.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

davidflas
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2014, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by SSharon View Post
I'll be upgrading from my aging iPhone 4 no matter what comes out, even if it looks like a resurrected brown Zune.

My only question is whether I should stay with my AT&T plan (450 minutes, 200 texts, unlimited data, $70/month) or if I should change plans and/or carriers.
I've been a Sprint customer for over a decade. Every time my contract has ended I've shopped the competitors, and felt that they charged more to get the same things. The only reason I would leave Sprint is if I lived somewhere where their network wasn't as good as that of another provider. I'm planning to upgrade to an iPhone 6 from my 4s.
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

andi*pandi
Sep 5, 2014, 11:04 AM

Good to know. I also have a 4S, and while I've not generally been unhappy with VirginMobile at $30/mo, but when travelling outside Boston/urban areas, coverage is not dependable.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 5, 2014, 11:37 AM

IMHO, the iPhone 4/S was the best designed iPhone.

My ideal iPhone(mini):
-3.3" screen, 320X480 display. (if they can squeeze more in there, sure)
-thickness of the iPhone 4/4S with a smaller bezel around the screen
-metal and glass enclosure
-all day battery life (if that means single core, slower clock, so be it).
-TouchID, etc

Effectively i want a smaller and lighter iPhone 4/S.

They can market it as the cheaper more colorful model by just replacing the black/white plastic inserts behind the glass, and maybe anodizing the metal frame to match.

An iDevice suggestion:
It would be nice to have a notification light on the device so users do not have to go to the device and turn on the display to check if there are any notifications. Maybe have the light underneath the home button (kind of like the Palm Pre).

If Apple is bent on 'following' the trend towards ridiculously sized(large) mobile devices, i might eventually end up picking up an iPhone 4S instead.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 5, 2014, 12:17 PM

I suspect you are in a teensy tiny segment of smart phone users....

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 5, 2014, 12:40 PM

I suspect you are in a teensy tiny segment of smart phone users....
I suspect it as well. I actually remember getting my iPhone3GS and thinking it was too big at the time.

We are talking about things we have to lug around all day, i put a premium on size and weight. The smaller and lighter the better. It baffles me that the exact opposite is what is trending. 7" "mobile" phones?

Not to mention .... there isn't any room to spare in my pants

While i'm sure the technophiles and fandroids value large, bulky and heavy devices. I have my doubts about the rest of the population (the people who dont spend their time reading and commenti on on Apple/Samsung news on websites).

If memory serves me, didnt Samsung just release a "mini" product which is the size of the iPhone 3GS/4?

Maybe its just me, but there doesnt seem to be a serious contender(Apple, Samsung, Microsoft) in the smaller mobile device category?

I found this mock up.... i'd buy one of these with no hesitation:

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 5, 2014, 12:48 PM

"What if we took a mighty mouse… and made it into a phone?"

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 5, 2014, 12:48 PM

While I don't mind a larger screen, I'm hoping Apple doesn't abandon the "smaller" screen market. I think the a huge chunk of consumers prefer a smaller sized phone.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Thorzdad
Sep 5, 2014, 12:58 PM

My guess is that "Wish we could say more" refers to the supposed wearable that everyone and their brother is so sure Apple is going to reveal. In other words, "Wish we could say more" means that they aren't going to so much as mention the thing at this event. "Wish we could say more...but we can't."

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Sep 5, 2014, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
IMHO, the iPhone 4/S was the best designed iPhone.

My ideal iPhone(mini):
-3.3" screen, 320X480 display. (if they can squeeze more in there, sure)
-thickness of the iPhone 4/4S with a smaller bezel around the screen
-metal and glass enclosure
-all day battery life (if that means single core, slower clock, so be it).
-TouchID, etc

Effectively i want a smaller and lighter iPhone 4/S.
Do you have a 5? It's slightly taller than the 4, but it's thinner and lighter, and it feels much smaller all around. I went straight from a tiny dumbphone to a 5 - when I got it, I was afraid of getting a big phone, and my wife's 4s felt huge, clunky, and heavy to me. Luckily the 5 feels tiny in comparison.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 5, 2014, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
So now they have this AT&T Next program, and the plan rates are significantly cheaper. Instead of $265, our family now pays $175. When you get a new phone, you either pay for it up front or you pay it off in installments on your phone bill. There is no interest on these installments. They just divide the price of the phone by 24 and that's what you pay.

It seemed like a no brainer to switch, so I did.

The problem is that now, all of a sudden, you're hit with the realization that you're actually paying $650 for your iPhone. Are the new features of the iPhone 6 really worth $650 over what I have now in the iPhone 5? Probably not. I'm going to wait and see. Let's see how strong I am.
I'm in a similar situation. Except since I owned one of the original iPhones I still have a grandfathered unlimited data plan. It is a no brainer to switch to AT&T Next to take advantage of the cheaper rates and no down payment. But in order to do that I have to give up my unlimited data plan and live with the specter of overage charges. Still deciding ....

OAW

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 5, 2014, 01:50 PM

Do you have a 5? It's slightly taller than the 4, but it's thinner and lighter, and it feels much smaller all around. I went straight from a tiny dumbphone to a 5 - when I got it, I was afraid of getting a big phone, and my wife's 4s felt huge, clunky, and heavy to me. Luckily the 5 feels tiny in comparison.
I'm still using my 3GS, but i have held and used the 5/S. It does feel light, and i think the overall volume of the device is less than that of the 4/S.

I guess I just dont get the whole bigger-mobile-device thing. I dont want companies competing to make desktop monitors or trucks smaller or sports cars bigger either. The trend just seems counter to reason. And post-Steve Jobs, i guess i'm not surprised to see Apple... following trends.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 5, 2014, 02:17 PM

I simply don't see it as a trend. The fact is that the things you do on a smartphone - work, play, you name it - are 99% of the time better with a larger screen.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Sep 5, 2014, 03:22 PM

I simply don't see it as a trend. The fact is that the things you do on a smartphone - work, play, you name it - are 99% of the time better with a larger screen.
The thing I do most with a smartphone is carry it in my pocket. It spends much more time there than in my hand. That's why small is important to me. While I certainly appreciate the screen real estate of my S5, I prefer to leave it at home and carry my iPhone 5 when I go places.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 5, 2014, 03:42 PM

The 'cost' is having to lug the thing around the whole time, whether or not you are using the device.

Similarly, back in the day, getting a laptop for university was all the rage. The bigger the screen the better....of course bigger screens meant better work/play/usage experience, but also bigger size and weight. The 17" PowerBook is no more, and we now have 11" MBAs. (Heck i hated lugging my 15" TiBook around campus all day).

The issue of mobility is even more pronounced on mobile phones IMHO. Its great that the market segment you fall within has products to choose from (big screen products), i just wish those of us who spend more time carrying the device around rather than looking at it could have a devices to choose from as well.

Forum Links
Forum Rules