Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > multiple docks:: at once

View Poll Results: How many docks would you use?
Poll Options:
20 million (20000000) 1 votes (1.67%)
one for every side o-the-screen (4) 3 votes (5.00%)
3 times as many reasons to laught at windows (3) 3 votes (5.00%)
twins (2) 19 votes (31.67%)
I like one. (1) 34 votes (56.67%)
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll
multiple docks:: at once
boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2004, 11:58 PM

wouldn't it be possible to copy the dock.app, name it something else change some code and run more then one dock at once? Would this totally f**k up my computer, how come no one has done this already? Im a big fan of organization, one dock for games, another for graphics and the like, and yet another for work related items. Any thoughts?

thePurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2004, 01:12 AM

My thoughts are:

If you duplicated the dock app, and had two running simultaneously, wouldn't they use the same preferences file? Thus they would have the same icons and the same location - and that isn't very useful!

JoE950
Forum Regular
Apr 28, 2004, 01:31 AM

im with you! i want exactly what you describe and i want it from apple.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2004, 01:51 AM

I'm just happy with the old Apple menu. I use FruitMenu.
click one

G0Ducks
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 28, 2004, 02:00 AM

I just want one on each side, save the top. And I would love to see this from Apple. It only makes sense...

R

smeger
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2004, 02:02 AM

The dock does a one-time registration with the window server that allows it to "own" minimized windows. Only one app can do this. So, I think even if you did some hacking to run multiple instances of Dock.app, everything after the first instance would die when it tried to become the window owner and failed.

But I haven't tried it so this is all just speculation.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

Dace
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2004, 02:05 AM

Some want more docks, some want none and then there are the few that are happy with what they have.

Have you tried DockSwap?

You can switch between multiple Dock configurations...one for games, one for work.

Or you could have two docks on screen at the same time if you use Apple dock and A-dock X

Data Bytes Computers - Montreal, QC
Ventes & Services / Sales & Services

WICKEDfour
Forum Regular
Apr 28, 2004, 09:41 AM

Why use a second Dock when you could be using Butler or Quicksilver? If you really want another "Dock", just don't use menus in Butler and use the Docklet mode. Otherwise, use launcher applications such as the two excellent ones I mentioned above to completely replace the Dock. I only have four apps in my Dock now, which which are running most of or even all the time; I've put everything else in either a Butler menu or I just invoke Quicksilver. Also, I don't use it because I don't really need it, but there's always DragThing.

Themer | Metroid 2002 Supporter | Switchboard Operator | A Special K | Professional Lurker

codywalton
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 28, 2004, 10:18 AM

Originally posted by NetworkShadow:
ditto.

themarvelous3
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 28, 2004, 10:38 AM

Originally posted by NetworkShadow:

sniff...i miss my apple menu

codywalton
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 28, 2004, 10:47 AM

Originally posted by themarvelous3:
sniff...i miss my apple menu
then use fruitmenu ... it's the same thing. works very well.

justinp
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2004, 10:57 AM

Originally posted by G0Ducks:
I just want one on each side, save the top. And I would love to see this from Apple. It only makes sense...
It doesn't make any sense at all. Apple would never do that, they won't even put two buttons on their mouse.

G0Ducks
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 28, 2004, 10:15 PM

Originally posted by justinp:
It doesn't make any sense at all. Apple would never do that, they won't even put two buttons on their mouse.
TRUE DAT HMEY!

R

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2004, 10:27 PM

Originally posted by justinp:
Apple is strange like that with a few things...
click one

Hi I'm Mike
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 29, 2004, 12:04 AM

two or more would be ideal...we should at least have the option for more than one

JoE950
Forum Regular
Apr 29, 2004, 01:26 AM

seriously, the dock is cool but it could use an apple branded overhaul. no third party is going to be as efficient as apple. since ive only tried drag thing, i dont have much experience, but after seeing what apple did with expose, i just want that kind of genius perfection to fiddle over into the dock.

and if it doesnt happen my dock will just stay long and thin..

themarvelous3
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 29, 2004, 05:08 PM

i like my "apple" mouse...

JoE950
Forum Regular
Apr 29, 2004, 06:53 PM

for my money, THIS is the ticket... best mouse to date.

rhythmicmoose
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 29, 2004, 07:09 PM

Originally posted by JoE950:
I'm with you on the mouse.

As for docks go, one is enough. If there were two which would your minimized windows go to? I think the biggest improvement would be an expanding dock. The main buttons are categories, like Productivity, System, Games, Graphics, etc. and can be user-configured. The contents of those are also user-configured and expand vertically when the category is selected.

Not sure how one would signal which apps are opened, though. Apple can figure that one out. The Dock is a solid concept, but needs to be expanded upon. I'm still mad that Apple moved the command-tab action from being dock-oriented to a take-up-the-whole-screen bezel. How many app switchers do we need?!

Oh, and for abbreviations, Quicksilver beats the pants off of anything else I've seen.

Hi I'm Mike
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 29, 2004, 09:29 PM

yea one dock for the windows to minimize to with apple related programs in it finder, system prefs, the utilities in the utilities folder, and another dock with applications such as photoshop and everything else that you can just click on fast and have the other dock hiden or something.. yea!

phantom
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 2, 2004, 12:10 PM

Multiple docks are probably possible using something like Jon Rentzsch's dynamic overriding code to patch all of them but the 'primary' to keep them from interacting with the window server. (This is the same concept most of unsanity's haxies employ). Unfortunately, it would be a mountainous number of patches, I'm fairy certain, and it would reduce all of those subordinate docks to basically just launchers...which previously mentioned apps like butler can already handle, using less resources.

It's probably also possible to get multiple docks running with each one in charge of its personal apps' windows (the dock handles more than just minimization), but to do that you'd have to write a daemon that sat in the background coordinating all of those patched docks and talking to the window serverr on their behalf. In other words, coding your own launcher from the ground up would probably be easier.

fireside
Professional Poster
May 2, 2004, 03:46 PM

Originally posted by JoE950:
i don't know what you're talking about, this is a much better mouse.

back on topic, i would like it better if the dock could just stretch longer, keeping the icons the same size. like, you'd have blank spaces like the windows start bar. i dunno, i'd just like the dock to extend all the way across the screen, but i don't want it to be honkin huge.

arhra
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 4, 2004, 03:03 PM

i'd just like to have the finder and all other running apps on the right-hand side of the screen, pinned at the top, the trash and any other folders on the right pinned to the bottom, and minimised windows along the bottom, starting from the left...

Forum Links
Forum Rules