Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Convert albums to MP3

Convert albums to MP3
willab
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 14, 2005, 12:19 PM

I am trying to help someone transfer his old records to MP3s. He bought a new power book, a M-audio Audiophile USB, and a nice turntable with a line out. Now I need to find him software. It must be easy to use. I was considering doing this in two steps. First, have him import the tracks he wants and trim them. What is the best software for this? There are plenty of applications for recording, but I have not found any that allow you to cut out space before the song starts. Next I would run all of the tracks through something to remove pops and crackles. I know some people who own Cleaner 6, so I could use that, but I'd prefer to buy something cheaper that is just for audio. If something does both of these steps at once it would be great. I had him purchase Toast w/ Jam to do this,but I did not realize that the software they include for this purpose is CD Spin Doctor. It is terrible. Thanks for the help.
Dual 1.8 GHz G5
PB G4 1.67 GHz

auggie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 15, 2005, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by willab
I am trying to help someone transfer his old records to MP3s. He bought a new power book, a M-audio Audiophile USB, and a nice turntable with a line out. Now I need to find him software. It must be easy to use. I was considering doing this in two steps. First, have him import the tracks he wants and trim them. What is the best software for this? There are plenty of applications for recording, but I have not found any that allow you to cut out space before the song starts. Next I would run all of the tracks through something to remove pops and crackles. I know some people who own Cleaner 6, so I could use that, but I'd prefer to buy something cheaper that is just for audio. If something does both of these steps at once it would be great. I had him purchase Toast w/ Jam to do this,but I did not realize that the software they include for this purpose is CD Spin Doctor. It is terrible. Thanks for the help.
I used Sound Studio with excellent results. It's easy to use and will do it all. Record your album as a single file, then split it up into separate tracks using automatic markers. After that you can clean up each track as required. You can download a 14 day demo from their website: http://www.felttip.com/products/soundstudio/

k_munic
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 15, 2005, 03:43 AM

when you buy Toast6, you get as an additional software a tool called "Spin Doctor"; it "records" (=import) from your usb interface and seperates the tracks automatically…

another tool for free is Audacity , AFAIR, it has some filters for removing noises… I personally LIKE that pops&crackles… hey, that was LP, analog!

ValVashon
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 15, 2005, 06:31 AM

I second the purchase of Sound Studio. I use it all the time just for the purpose you are describing. I haven't used the automatic markers function; I mostly import 45's.

Are you sure the turntable has line out? I've never seen such a thing.

Val

iamnotmad
Senior User
Jun 15, 2005, 09:59 AM

I'm just starting to do this as well. I just purchased Soundsoap 2 from Bias to help clean up the recordings (while I have a really nice turntable, some of my recrds are in poor shape). Soundsoap is really really impressive, and incredibly easy.

I'm still looking for a good app to record into and split up the tracks though. Sound Studio looks pretty good.

willab  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 15, 2005, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by k_munic
when you buy Toast6, you get as an additional software a tool called "Spin Doctor"; it "records" (=import) from your usb interface and seperates the tracks automatically…

another tool for free is Audacity , AFAIR, it has some filters for removing noises… I personally LIKE that pops&crackles… hey, that was LP, analog!
I know about Spin Doctor. It is terrible, buggy software. It crashes constantly under Tiger.
Dual 1.8 GHz G5
PB G4 1.67 GHz

k_munic
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 15, 2005, 04:33 PM

Hi willab,

have heard a lot of complains 'bout SD… I use it with 10.3.9. in my old Cube450 to digitize old cassettes with an iMic interface… for me works like charme…for my kids=good kharma? ;-)

but you're right, there are much more elaborated solutions… for me, it works and it was for free (as part of T6)

ValVashon
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 15, 2005, 09:16 PM

Another thing I remembered. A turntable has to be run through a phono pre-amp to get the right equalization- the "RIAA curve" I believe it is called. Check to make sure that your "line level out" turntable setup has this equalization, or the records will sound terrible.

Val

Busemann
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2005, 11:10 AM

Digitally ripped vinyls will never sound good. You're better off getting the same albums on the net (which shouldn't be illegal as you already own them)

k_munic
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 16, 2005, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Busemann
Digitally ripped vinyls will never sound good. You're better off getting the same albums on the net (which shouldn't be illegal as you already own them)
HAHAHA! … this depends EXTREME, in which nation/country/territory you're living; as an example: over here in Germany this would be illegal… esp., when the mp3 is made of a record with copyprotection, you have to override - which is illegal; mentioning tools to do so is illegal too over here… but private copies are allowed - very weird. Karajan was the first who had different contracts concerning analog and digital versions of the same music… and: converting music into high-res digital is something someone wants to get paid for…

no, any legal advices about copyright, ownership, authorrights etc.pp are almost impossible in this part of the galaxy…

we have a saying here "no prosecutor? no judge!"… in meaning: "don't get caught!

aussie149
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 19, 2005, 04:32 AM

I can recommend Martin Hairer's Amadeus.

http://www.hairersoft.com/

A great program, with lots of filters, and access to other free filters. It's easy to use, and can be used with cassettes, radio and other inputs. It can also help with reducing file sizes for web pages etc. It's cheap, and well supported with regular free updates. I have used it for dozens of conversions, but beware of the dreaded *noise*: LPs that I have used only once, then stored perfectly, are full of crackle and hiss. There are lots of methods of getting rid of this: I play them them "wet" with a solution containing alcohol and windex, but google for tips; "convert vinyl CD" should work. It would be easier to buy the CD version, but often that is not an option: most of the LPs I have converted have been albums not obtainable on CD.

iamnotmad
Senior User
Jun 19, 2005, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by Busemann
Wow, you must be doing something wrong or have a bad turntable or other component because mine sound really really great.

Forum Links
Forum Rules