Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MBP power cord issue

MBP power cord issue
JoeDokes
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 26, 2006, 09:26 PM

My power cord keeps coming loose, interrupting power to the machine. Is this a general problem? Anyone else experiencing this?

- Joe

phantomo
Dedicated MacNNer
May 27, 2006, 11:05 AM

Can you be more specific? Are you talking about the cord from the power sock to the power adapter or the magsafe connector?
15"MBP/C2D2.4GHz/4GB RAM/320GB HD
15"MBP/C2D2.16GHz/3GB RAM/250GB HD
12"PB/1GHz/768MB/60GB/SuperDrive/AE
iPhone 8GB/iPod video 30GB

JoeDokes  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 27, 2006, 03:00 PM

Sorry. The problem is at the magsafe conncector end. It seems to attach but doesn't always five a lfow of current. The light will flicker from green to nothing and the computer will switch to battery. Occasionally, if I press the cord (as though trying to put a llug into a socket) it will start to work, but that could be coincidence.

skyman
Mac Elite
May 27, 2006, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by JoeDokes
Sorry. The problem is at the magsafe conncector end. It seems to attach but doesn't always five a lfow of current. The light will flicker from green to nothing and the computer will switch to battery. Occasionally, if I press the cord (as though trying to put a llug into a socket) it will start to work, but that could be coincidence.
Time to call Apple!

1 800 SOS APPLE
MacBookPro 1.83GHz - 1.5 GB RAM - OS 10.4.6

JoeDokes  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 28, 2006, 07:48 PM

I was afraid it was something serious. Thanks for the help.

phantomo
Dedicated MacNNer
May 28, 2006, 09:45 PM

I assumed you have done an visual check if all the connecting gold dots are not blocked by some foreign particles between the magsafe connector and plug.
15"MBP/C2D2.4GHz/4GB RAM/320GB HD
15"MBP/C2D2.16GHz/3GB RAM/250GB HD
12"PB/1GHz/768MB/60GB/SuperDrive/AE
iPhone 8GB/iPod video 30GB

gif32
Jun 28, 2006, 03:33 AM

Same problem here. The LED won't light at all unless I apply pressure to the rectangular part of the connector (the part with the LED). By pushing it into the slot like that it buys me 15-20 mins of charge before it comes loose again. There is no physical debris on anything.

At first I thought the problem might be with where the cord connects to the rectangular part but playing with that joint does nothing. Only pressure on the rectangular part towards the computer helps.

I'll swing by the Apple store at Fashion Show tomorrow and report back. JoeDokes, what was the resolution to your problem? Hopefully it's a matter of replacing the power supply and not fixing the computer!

-gif

Forum Links
Forum Rules