Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Well....I'm On My 12th Macbook...Don't Know What To Do...Major Issues/Explanations

Well....I'm On My 12th Macbook...Don't Know What To Do...Major Issues/Explanations (Page 2)
krystle
Jun 7, 2006, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by g/re/p
Damn! I hope this thread does not represent normal
posting behavior in these forums.

If the other members of this forum are as anal retentive,
closeminded, and hateful towards posters such as PJ,
i will not be spending much time here....
Don't let the door hit you on the way out. Seriously folks...

1) He was asking for it...
B) People put on a "oh that's too bad, I'm so sorry you had to go through that" facade in the offline world, we can't let that happen in the online world too.
3) Forums should be a place to really be yourselves, if you can't say what's on your mind, at least within reason....what's the f***ing point?

unix
Jun 7, 2006, 12:11 PM

Yeah even I paid $1300 for the base model of the MacBook, that too after educational discount, in Singapore, so don't tell me it's more expensive in the UK cause I know about that, and have also paid for it.

If you read his post, for one of his machines he didn't even turn on the machine, for as small an issue an a misaligned trackpad button, and simply returned it. I'm not telling him to accept it to save Apple's $'s, that would be the last thing. I just bought my first Mac also when I bought the MacBook so I'm not Apple fanatic. He himself says he's sick of wasting so much time and gas on getting them exchanged.

Everyone expects a good machine, but an absolutely flawless one, with not a single spec of dust on it when I open it for the first time, is simply being fanatic. That is the situation here. And fixing a trackpad is hardly a repair. I'm sure they would do it over the counter if you simply ask for that, rather than demanding a new machine.

Originally Posted by antdroid
wow ..you guys who are dissing this guy are aholes....

i believe he really did go through 12!....

i dont think hes being picky either !

sure computers make noises, but that mooo..thats the fan going on and of ...now that should not be happening!...thats a legitimate return issue ..if you think not then you are just apple geeks..not human.

the sizzling brick doesnt worry you guys ? what if its a sign that its about to burst into flames in the night and burn your wife and children to death ?...would you not think...if only i had seen the sign.......?

if the trackpad button has to be pressed hard and misses the click alot, are you just going to put up with that ? because you are weak ?..im having to use a mouse because this button on the returning macbook hardly works...

tjhe point is , here in uk we pay more than usa for our black macbook, here its $2060 !! more or less.

now for that money we better get good machines or apple can loose `$6000 or what ever you said for the returns....

stop whinging about people standing up for their rights! why should we feel scared to replace a macbook with a new one in case its another bad one, we should not have a brand new macbook repaired as soon as we get it !

im on macbook numb 1...numb 2 this week, if its good..ill tell everyone here.
if its bad..ill also post here...

now i bought a quad 3 months ago, the first one fan was spinning like washing machine...apple said thats not right so i got another, the next one was burning in side with smoke...that went back, i went thru 3 !!

are you saying i should just accept it coz its costing apple money.

i love apple products, i must have spent over $40,000 on them over 20 years....

but i will not accept crap just because its apple...

let me know when your on macbook 20 and we'll have a party lol !!!!!

good luck, and do post back when you get a good one

uk.

freakboy2
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 7, 2006, 12:23 PM

well, one thing is for certain, if apple could figure out which customers needed to try out 12 laptops before they got one they liked, they'd skip those sales.

as it is, i think this guy is being a picky, but apple shouldn't be giving him broken refurbs either - which has to be what's going on here.

HarriganC
Forum Regular
Jun 7, 2006, 12:34 PM

Who wants to bet all the store employees run to the back room to get something when he is coming. The title of the thread is major issues, and looking through the list I don't see any "major issue," such as a failed piece of hardware. If my estimate is right you should be on number 16 now, what's wrong with it?

HarriganC
Forum Regular
Jun 7, 2006, 12:45 PM

Originally I called you a hypochondriac, I have revisted my terminology and now dub you, ::drum roll please:: The official HypochondriMac.

unix
Jun 7, 2006, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by HarriganC
Originally I called you a hypochondriac, I have revisted my terminology and now dub you, ::drum roll please:: The official HypochondriMac.
I would like to second that! 12!!

krystle
Jun 7, 2006, 01:40 PM

wow ..you guys who are dissing this guy are aholes....
i love apple products, i must have spent over $40,000 on them over 20 years....
You sir, are an idiot if you think going through 12 computers like that is acceptable behavior. And so what if you've spent $40,000 on Macs over 20 years, I've spent over $200,000 on Macs every other year for my company....big deal. Have we gotten lemons? Yes. Have we demanded 12 returns in a row? No. Have we gotten the problems fixed by Apple? Yes. Get off your high horse thinking that you deserve a 100% perfect product, because those don't exist anymore. Apple is a technology company with QC like any other. One of the things that differentiates it from others however are fanatical hypersensitive zealots like yourself who give the Mac family a bad name.

reacon.dk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 7, 2006, 02:02 PM

Is this type of luck typical in the rest of your life?

HarriganC
Forum Regular
Jun 7, 2006, 02:11 PM

That is it. I have had it with apple, they just can't get things right with my machines. You guys aren't going to believe this one, my blackbook doesn't have a latch mechanism, how does something like that leave the factory? I am going to open my replacement in the store, and not leave until they get me one with a latch damn it.

ahahahhahahahhahahhahaha

b11051973
Forum Regular
Jun 7, 2006, 03:01 PM

I'm calling bravo sierra on this guy. How could anyone have problems with 12 laptops?

masugu
Senior User
Jun 7, 2006, 04:34 PM

Let's call him "Lucky"
masugu - "Straight Ahead"
BlacBook Core Duo / Original Intel-based MB - DIY Core i7 PC |

PJJames  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 7, 2006, 06:04 PM

I got my money back, I'm done. I'm also done with this website for a very long time.
Full Pro Tools 7.1 M-Powered Rig.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 7, 2006, 06:16 PM

Well, goodbye. I don't know what you expected to accomplish with this thread.

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Jun 7, 2006, 06:43 PM

Well, the product sucked - and the userbase was a bunch of apologist zealots. He learned that - so we could call it an accomplishment.

shunt
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 7, 2006, 06:50 PM

He seemed like a nice guy.
Please keep in mind the ambiguously selective general understandings we've all agreed upon...

ARK
Forum Regular
Jun 7, 2006, 06:52 PM

Aren't some of you guys being a little harsh? If the guys at the Genius bar thought it could be fixed dont you think they would have offered to repair it? Like he said, "All the Genius Bar guys that look at the machines do recognize the issues and immediatly pull a new one for me." Sure they aren't major issues but if the Apple Store employee is gung-ho to replace it, why not let them? Maybe their policy it to replace and fix it later.

BTW: What do they do with returned computers? I never see open box models for sale or refurbished for that matter.
- Dual 1Ghz Quicksilver /w 1G RAM, GeForce4 Ti, 17" Studio Display, Soundsticks, 10.4.11
- iPhone 3G 16G Black
- 30Gig Video iPod

- MacBook Pro or iMac (soon hopefully)

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 7, 2006, 07:04 PM

I imagine that they do sell them as open box or if the problem is serious enough, they would send them away for repair and possibly sell them as refurbished. I'm just guessing here, but there's no question that Apple's taking a financial hit on each computer he opened. Sure, if the problems were really major, then they deserve to take the loss. But that isn't the impression I get from reading this thread. And of course, there's no way to know for sure.

The thing is, I've been buying computers for 20 years or so, and only once have I gotten one with any kind of noticeable problem out of the box (a sticky clicker on a first-gen white iBook, and even that was pretty minor). So you have to ask yourself, is the MacBook quality control so unbelievably terrible that 12 machines bought by the same person (from different stores, mind you) all have crippling defects? Or is PJJames just being too picky?

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2006, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by PJJames
I got my money back, I'm done. I'm also done with this website for a very long time.
See you when your other mac starts acting up! God I can't imagine how many powermacs you went through and annoyed apple over to get the one you're typing on.

jere_69
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 7, 2006, 07:21 PM

Why did he leave? He DID say feel free to blast him.

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 7, 2006, 07:59 PM

how long before apple posts those open box specials?

MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | Clamshell iBook G3 366MHz | 22" Cinema Display | iPod Mini | iPod shuffle | AirPort Express | Mighty Mouse

shunt
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 7, 2006, 08:06 PM

....shouldn't be long now
( Last edited by shunt; Jun 7, 2006 at 08:22 PM. )
Please keep in mind the ambiguously selective general understandings we've all agreed upon...

Project
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 7, 2006, 10:26 PM

I feel sorry for the guy but come on... why not mail back the first dead one?

A DOA would insure a brand-new machine ASAP.

krystle
Jun 7, 2006, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by Arju
I feel sorry for the guy but come on... why not mail back the first dead one?

A DOA would insure a brand-new machine ASAP.
I don't, he was a moron.

Uh...bubye. Again, don't let the door hit you on the way out. One less nitpicker on these forums.

monteboyd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 7, 2006, 11:20 PM

Something tells me this guy is not going to give up on getting a macbook after this much time and effort, although we may never know the result.

global
Baninated
Jun 8, 2006, 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by The_Realist
Don't let the door hit you on the way out. Seriously folks...

1) He was asking for it...
B) People put on a "oh that's too bad, I'm so sorry you had to go through that" facade in the offline world, we can't let that happen in the online world too.
3) Forums should be a place to really be yourselves, if you can't say what's on your mind, at least within reason....what's the f***ing point?
You are a jackass

( Last edited by g/re/p; Jun 9, 2006 at 03:51 AM. )

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 8, 2006, 03:08 AM

I give this thread another 6h of life max. Lockination straight ahead.

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2006, 05:33 AM

The guy may have been picky. We can't really be sure either way. But the problems he described were real problems, not just nitpicking. Either way, some of you guys should be ashamed for the way you replied. It is possible to be critical and yet be constructive and not insult people.

antdroid
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 8, 2006, 06:09 AM

you guys saying he should accept the defects are prix !

YOU REALLY ARE.

i dont give a ff**** if apple loose money on each return, that will make them take a look at their quality control.

as for giving apple a bad name....its their own fault.

i hope all you guys get problems with your macbooks...and then you better put up with it or we'll all be blasting you .

if his trackerpad was misaligned, and yours isnt , why dont you swap ?

would you ?...i dont think so!... So why should he accept it,

sure if they can fix it over the counter in half hour, thats fine..but thats not gonna happen, also if it was me , i bought on line..it goes back...and no macbook while its away ..no way!..a return it would be.

i can belive youre all willing to accept machines with majour defects like mooing

its loud, and when i show my friends it , they laff saying thats wack dude.

everyones is laughing at the mooing macbook...nice one apple...pc users are getting one over.

my num 2 macbook comes today (waited 10 days) cant wait to see if its good.

while morons like you keep accepting machines with faults, apple will just continue....
why should they change if we all just say nothing.

if its a good one , ill report back today
fingers crossed coz i love this machine,

MOOOO!

WHINNNNNEEEEE !

buzzzzzzzz!

SIZZZZZZZZLLEEE!

:-( shut up mac !!!!!!! god :-(

jere_69
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 8, 2006, 06:38 AM

you guys saying he should accept the defects are prix !

YOU REALLY ARE.

i dont give a ff**** if apple loose money on each return, that will make them take a look at their quality control.

as for giving apple a bad name....its their own fault.

i hope all you guys get problems with your macbooks...and then you better put up with it or we'll all be blasting you .

if his trackerpad was misaligned, and yours isnt , why dont you swap ?

would you ?...i dont think so!... So why should he accept it,

sure if they can fix it over the counter in half hour, thats fine..but thats not gonna happen, also if it was me , i bought on line..it goes back...and no macbook while its away ..no way!..a return it would be.

i can belive youre all willing to accept machines with majour defects like mooing

its loud, and when i show my friends it , they laff saying thats wack dude.

everyones is laughing at the mooing macbook...nice one apple...pc users are getting one over.

my num 2 macbook comes today (waited 10 days) cant wait to see if its good.

while morons like you keep accepting machines with faults, apple will just continue....
why should they change if we all just say nothing.

if its a good one , ill report back today
fingers crossed coz i love this machine,

MOOOO!

WHINNNNNEEEEE !

buzzzzzzzz!

SIZZZZZZZZLLEEE!

:-( shut up mac !!!!!!! god :-(
Just answer one question. Would you waste your time returning TWELVE machines? Wouldn't you figure out after the fourth machine that maybe, just maybe this isn't the machine for you? That's what I consider moronic....along with the fact that he then created a post asking people what they thought of him.

krystle
Jun 8, 2006, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by g/re/p
You are a jackass
You support my point then...that's awesome. Now please, continue to tell me what you REALLY think.

krystle
Jun 8, 2006, 08:43 AM

MOOOO!

More like "Baaaah, baaaaaaaah", but close enough.

samuel690069
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 8, 2006, 10:56 AM

My first Macbook is on its way back to Apple for poor fit/finish and a wonky screen.

Agent69
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2006, 08:18 AM

Gabriel is right; we could be a lot more respectful of PJJames, even if we don't agree with what he says he did. And there should be no place for name calling on MacNN.
Agent69

antdroid
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 9, 2006, 08:32 AM

well my second macbook arrived,
so far no apparent sizzle from the brick, though may appear,
in minutes the mooing started...doh!

people on this forum have been saying not all macbooks moo...

i wish i knew if every macbook has this moo....

the moo on my second unit is not as loud as the first, its more of a growl now than a moo...

the tracker button is great... id reallly like to keep this macbook,
we'll see over the next week if the moo gets worse.

you know with all the different defects that some macbooks have its quite possible to get 12 macbooks all with a different defect each time...

ill give it a week and see it this unit is keepable...
i hope so, ...its not perfect, but im just looking for a machine i can work with thats not got cows !!

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 9, 2006, 03:02 PM

Mooing is not a defect. It's just the fans turning on and off. Some people may not notice it, because the machine has to be fairly hot, first of all, and I think it also may have to be plugged in. I think Apple will probably come out with a fix to make the sound a little little obvious (like maybe just having the fans stay on longer instead of cycling like they are apparently doing).

macwayne
Forum Regular
Jun 9, 2006, 03:52 PM

Yeah, if you get 2 or even up to 4 bad macbooks, it's your prerogative to keep trying until you get a good functioning one (the customer is always right). But 12 bad products in a row? C'mon, something is up.... Either PJ is notoriously finicky, has horribly bad luck, or might be a troll (which I doubt). I agree at this point that the best thing to do is either to just get a completely different model. He's spent too much time and effort that could have obviously been used on other things. And we can agree or disagree with his assesment of the situation, but we don't have to resort to name-calling.

bojangles
Senior User
Jun 10, 2006, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by pheonixash
If you take a 54" television back to say Samsung with say 2 bad pixels, they're not going to give a hoot about it. That's just how it is.
A bit off-topic—I certainly understand what you’re saying, and that Samsung is just an example—but in my experience Samsung probably wouldn’t care if your television had 2,000 bad pixels; they don’t care about their customers at all.

If anyone’s considering a Samsung product, e-mail me at dotMac [at] jeffanna [dot] com. you may think twice.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never tell if they’re attributed to the right person.”
—Abraham Lincoln

mibok
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 10, 2006, 11:03 AM

I gave up after the fourth macbook pro, had an still working ibook g4 and I am using it right now, I now believe the intel chips just might be evil after all.
Since I wanted some more Screenspace I bought myself a last revision Powerbook G4 on ebay, should arrive next week.

wkw88
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 10, 2006, 12:39 PM

I decided on an older portable as well. after reading about all the problems that people are having with the mb's I went with a 12" 1.33ghz ibook g4. My school had them on sale for 799. The build quality is perfect, it runs cool and the battery just keeps going and going and going....Its too bad about the new portables. I have an intel 20" imac and its been absolutely perfect with zero problems.

HarriganC
Forum Regular
Jun 10, 2006, 09:18 PM

I purchased a blackbook the day they were released, it replaced the most recent revision of the 12" PB, and sure it is much warmer, however, I completely prefer every attribute of this machine over the other. I don't know if I am extremely lucky or what but with my screen brightness at the lowest it is equally as bright as my 12" at full, my battery life is very good as well, I am averaging around 4 hours, with wifi on, bt off, and low brightness, my fan does do some of the on/off stuff, but, it is still quieter than my pb.

The machines certainly aren't perfect, however, personally, in comparison the the 12" PB, and Ibook lines they are far superior, unless of course you are tied to software that is not universal as of now.

CH

greenamp
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2006, 02:19 AM

My MacBook loaded 1 seconded too slow and I returned it. Then, I saw my reflection in the glossy screen on the 2nd one and I looked so ugly! I'm taking it back tomorrow.

Tarcat
Forum Regular
Jun 11, 2006, 09:56 AM

You must be the most cursed (or most picky) person on the face of the planet. I've owned a dozen or more computers over the years and never had to return one (though a couple had later problems).

Star-Fire
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 11, 2006, 11:01 AM

This is my 4th and don't plan on going farther. Well the 3rd one was scratched right out of the box at the genius bar so no excuse there. This one is good, pretty cool, not a pink screen, superdrive is alligned properly. Heck it even runs vista pretty good LOL!!
MacBook Pro 2.5 with 4 GB Ram, 250 GB 5400RPM, iMac 20" Intel Dual Core 2.0 with 2 GB Ram
http://star-fire.deviantart.com/gallery/

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2006, 11:01 AM

I can't get over how horrible you guys are being to this guy. Obviously every unit he had came with a unacceptable problem and he shouldn't send a brand new computer into repaire for 2 weeks.

I got my MacBook friday and it is going back today because the clicker ignores some of my inputs.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

msuper69
Professional Poster
Jun 11, 2006, 12:29 PM

This is total BS.

The odds of getting 12 straight defective Macs has to be about the same as winning the lottery. Sorry, this is not believable.

chessplayer
Jun 11, 2006, 10:26 PM

While it's extremely unlikely that a particular person won the lottery, it's not at all surprising when someone wins the lottery. It's often in the news that someone won the lottery! It's perfectly believable that some person would be incredibly unlucky with their Macs, why can't the OP be such a person?

PJJames seems both very unlucky and very picky, no need to attack him. Personally though, I would have either given up on the MB or tried to be a little less picky after 3 or 4 of them, certainly not 12.

Skywalkers new Hand
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 11, 2006, 11:34 PM

Ok I got my new MacBook to replace the one with the messed up trackpad button. The guy at the genius bar said he had never seen one with the problem quite as sevear as mine was suggesting he has seen it before a few times.

The one I have now is week 23 when the previous one was week 20.

"Wedge, pull out! You're not doing any good back there!"

jaybert
Jun 12, 2006, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by chessplayer
While it's extremely unlikely that a particular person won the lottery, it's not at all surprising when someone wins the lottery. It's often in the news that someone won the lottery! It's perfectly believable that some person would be incredibly unlucky with their Macs, why can't the OP be such a person?

PJJames seems both very unlucky and very picky, no need to attack him. Personally though, I would have either given up on the MB or tried to be a little less picky after 3 or 4 of them, certainly not 12.
well, the chances are actually much worse than winning the lottery. Assuming that 1 in 10 macbooks are defective (which would be horrible Q&A/unacceptable, even for the worst manufactuers), the chances of getting 12 in a row is 10^-12. Whereas the chance of winning the lottery, are somewhere around 10^-9. So the chances of this happening are about 1000x less likely than winning the lottery. That, and the fact that there are much less macbooks than there are people playing the lottery.

masugu
Senior User
Jun 12, 2006, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by Skywalkers new Hand
Ok I got my new MacBook to replace the one with the messed up trackpad button. The guy at the genius bar said he had never seen one with the problem quite as sevear as mine was suggesting he has seen it before a few times.

The one I have now is week 23 when the previous one was week 20.

I used to know how to tell on my Ti PowerBook...Can you tell me how I find out when my Macbook was built???
masugu - "Straight Ahead"
BlacBook Core Duo / Original Intel-based MB - DIY Core i7 PC |

rpd2005
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 12, 2006, 12:14 AM

This guy had a lot of complaints. Even if you don't think they were all valid (which I do), most of his complaints are major enough in anyones' opinion. So what happened with Apple's quality control? Keyboards broken, mouse clicks not registering, power supply overheating, etc. Plus, as has been pointed out, Apple took them back so they couldn't have been perfect specimens.
This guy did not deserve flames.

Forum Links
Forum Rules