Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > MacAddict has threatened me, how should I respond?

MacAddict has threatened me, how should I respond?
macintologist
Professional Poster
Jan 2, 2007, 03:35 AM

So here's the deal. A few months ago I went to Macaddict's website and signed up for a free trial issue. No problem, I got the free trial magazine. I however received another magazine for the subsequent month. I then got a bill in the mail saying that if I wanted a year of Macaddict I would have to pay $24.99. Well no thanks but I've already subscribed to Macworld and Macaddict doesn't seem much better. Nowhere on the bill did it have a little checkbox saying "No thanks, I decline the offer". So I just ignored the letter.

Fastforward to December 9th and I get this envelope, in the upper left corner it says it's from Credit Dept., Future Network USA, PO Box 5126, Harlan, IA and in bold letters with a black background on the front of the envelope it says NOTICE OF SUSPENSION

I open the letter and this is what is says, all emphasis theirs.

Dear *customer*
Your subscription is seriously overdue. We had to suspend service on your account due to non-payment.

We did everything you asked, didn't we? You asked us to send you MacAddict. So we did. You asked us to bill you. We did that too. All we asked was that you pay your bill. But you didn't. Why?

If there is a problem, please let us know. We'll do everything possible tyo fix the matter. Or, if you already mailed your payment, please accept our thanks. Your account will be credited and your subscription reinstated.

Otherwise, we must hear from you--immediately! To protect your good credit status, mail your payment today.

John Barnes, Credit Manager
So because I didn't pay up even though I never asked for a full subscription, now they are blackmailing me into paying up or else they will put a bad mark on my credit report??? Who do these thugs think they are? I don't want their fricken magazine! I got the trial issue and didn't like it! This is dated December 9th, but I was away for vacation for three weeks and just got back home, so it's too late to respond "immediately". What should I do now? Has this happened to any of you?

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 2, 2007, 03:49 AM

If I like MacAddict, I will pay $19.95 for 11 more issues (12 in all). If I am not fully satisfied, I will return the invoice marked "cancel" and have no further obligation.
ice

PurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2007, 03:53 AM

How about you respond and tell them what you just posted here?</toosensiblesuggestion>

macintologist  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 2, 2007, 04:26 AM

But they never sent me an invoice marked cancel. They just sent me an invoice saying I owe them 24.99.

Benton
Forum Regular
Jan 2, 2007, 04:27 AM

Maybe call 1-888-771-6222 or write to [email protected] and explain your situation. They are kind and will accommodate you. Or, better yet, subscribe for this unimaginable rate of $9.39 for 3 years. eBay: MACADDICT MAGAZINE 3YR SUBSCRIPTION NO S/H (item 150074978429 end time Jan-03-07 12:28:28 PST)
STEVE JOBS: Where is my APPLE Rewards Visa Card? Other LOYALISTS have SONY Rewards Visa Card: DISNEY Rewards Visa Card: ESPN Rewards Visa Card!

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 2, 2007, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by macintologist View Post
I just ignored the letter.
All free newspaper and magazine trials I have ever seen require you to actively cancel the subscription after the free issue. And that's what the Macaddict website says as well:

http://www.macaddict.com/issues/free

If I like Mac|Life, I will pay $19.95 for 11 more issues (12 in all). If I am not fully satisfied, I will return the invoice marked "cancel" and have no further obligation.
You didn't cancel, so you got the one year subscription.

Kevin
Baninated
Jan 2, 2007, 05:15 AM

You have to admit, that is some pretty crappy practices. Very AOLish.

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Jan 2, 2007, 07:22 AM

It's a standard practice. Although I agree that they really ought to stop sending you stuff if you don't pay, magazine business models thrive on customer's inaction. It's the only way they work anymore.
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

His Dudeness
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2007, 07:41 AM

I wouldn't get Macaddict for free, much less pay for that crap. The only reason I have the US version of Macworld coming in the mail is that it was for free. The US version of Macworld is smaller than some inserts in the New York Times.

Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2007, 07:43 AM

I've had such treatment from from CondeNastee (publisher of New Yorker).
In a phone call I asked them to stop abusing me to save me trouble of speaking to fraud unit at state attorney general's office.
Charges were soon removed from my AmEx card.

A letter briefly explaining should suffice for sleazy behavior from any "reputable" publication that doesn't need such publicity.
TOMBSTONE: "He's trashed his last preferences"

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2007, 09:13 AM

I think if you read the small print it would say after receiving your free trial it was up to you to cancel it otherwise the regular subscription would kick right in. So by ignoring the bill and not sending it back with the worc cancel, or some sort they automatically started a paid subscription.

Did you try calling and talking with them? I used to get that magazine and things have been going down hill now for a while so its no surprise that they're bordering on extreme business practices to try to increase revenue.
Michael

Kevin
Baninated
Jan 2, 2007, 09:24 AM

I call it false revenue.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jan 2, 2007, 09:29 AM

But they never sent me an invoice marked cancel. They just sent me an invoice saying I owe them 24.99.
*You* have to mark it cancelled.

It's your fault, pay up.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

zerostar
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2007, 09:42 AM

Your kidding right? YOU have to mark "CANCEL" on the invoice and send it back...

Oh, BTW are you still looking for the "any" key?

kikkoman
Senior User
Jan 2, 2007, 10:43 AM

LOL! Are you for real?

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2007, 10:56 AM

Do you really want a legal issue over this? You asked for a subscription, it is up to you to ask to cancel it. You didn't bother to do that. MacAddict isn't trying to steal your money, or commit fraud. You asked for it, you got it. You could even take them up on their latest request to simply call them.

Yose
Senior User
Jan 2, 2007, 11:00 AM

Did they only send you the one free magazine + 1 extra?
Yose.
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jan 2, 2007, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Sherman Homan View Post
Do you really want a legal issue over this? You asked for a subscription, it is up to you to ask to cancel it. You didn't bother to do that. MacAddict isn't trying to steal your money, or commit fraud. You asked for it, you got it. You could even take them up on their latest request to simply call them.
I may not be fraud, but it's still deceptive.

I had the same thing happen to me with Wired magazine a while back. The first 50 people to respond got a free Yepp mp3 player. I sent it in right away and won one of the mp3 players, then they sent me two issues and after I refused to send in a payment, they send a collection agency after me. I wrote a nicely worded letter about how I never subscribed and I never heard from them again.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 2, 2007, 11:52 AM

Wow, what a bunch of deceptive bastards. I'd call 'em and complain.

I stopped buying magazines long ago (sometime around the invention of the internet). Besides Nat'l Geo, I just don't have the time.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 2, 2007, 12:03 PM

Every magazine on the planet operates like this. Did this really come as a surprise to you?

I'm willing to bet that if you call, and are firm but polite, they will take care of it. They aren't going to turn you into a collection agency over $25. It's not worth their time.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jan 2, 2007, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
Every magazine on the planet operates like this. Did this really come as a surprise to you?

I'm willing to bet that if you call, and are firm but polite, they will take care of it. They aren't going to turn you into a collection agency over $25. It's not worth their time.
It's happened to me.

Kevin
Baninated
Jan 2, 2007, 12:27 PM

You would be AMAZED on how much money magazine companies make over such "scam"

they sell magazines to people that would otherwise not buy them. Its hit or miss but still.

Very slimey.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 2, 2007, 12:55 PM

I REALLY doubt that even if you don't pay it will show up on your credit record. Just call them and say you don't want it and never agreed to it and they might just drop it.

If they say you signed a contract ask for a copy of your signature that shows you agreed to the subscriptions they claim.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

macintologist  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 2, 2007, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by zerostar View Post
Your kidding right? YOU have to mark "CANCEL" on the invoice and send it back...

Oh, BTW are you still looking for the "any" key?
Yea yea yea whatever. There wasn't any checkbox anywhere on the form. Yea I should have just written cancel on invoice. Feel better now?

I'll give em a call. Thanks for the responses.

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2007, 02:31 PM

Like most of the people in this thread I also agree that it was a mistake on your part. Pretty much every single "trial" subscription (regardless of it being a magazine, a coin club, a cd club, etc) has this same model. To claim you didn't know how it works just shows that you didn't read their "Terms and Conditions" that you marked the checkbox on saying that you did, and shows your ignorance.

Pay the bill and own up to your mistake.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 2, 2007, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by His Dudeness View Post
I wouldn't get Macaddict for free, much less pay for that crap.
I used to like it, back in 1998 or so. It's not really worth it anymore.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jan 2, 2007, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by torsoboy View Post
Like most of the people in this thread I also agree that it was a mistake on your part. Pretty much every single "trial" subscription (regardless of it being a magazine, a coin club, a cd club, etc) has this same model. To claim you didn't know how it works just shows that you didn't read their "Terms and Conditions" that you marked the checkbox on saying that you did, and shows your ignorance.

Pay the bill and own up to your mistake.
Actually I think most of the people in this thread agreed that although technically legal and quite prevalent, the magazine is practicing shady deals, and all he has to do is write a polite note to get them off of his back. And exactly where did he say he checked any box?

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 2, 2007, 03:05 PM

First, steal a car and a few baseball bats.
Then hire the toughest thugs you can find, then drive out there and beat the livin' crap out of everyone at MacAddict. Those bastids never learn.

Or just write cancel on the invoice... Or pay them their pittance - it's not the worst Mac magazine in the world.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Kevin
Baninated
Jan 2, 2007, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by torsoboy View Post
Like most of the people in this thread I also agree that it was a mistake on your part.
No, it's a dirty practice on MacAddicts part. He should have to go out of HIS way to make sure something he never ASKED for is sent to him. They should be on THEM. Just because it's "normal practice" doesn't mean it's a legit way to deal with customers. Their only reason of doing this is to get money they normally would not have otherwise.

He asked for ONE magazine. Not a subscription. What MA should do is make it so you have to send something in to get MORE magazines. And if you don't, you wont.

My ex had a problem with MA once because of this situation. And instead of refunding her money they wanted to get this give her "free subscriptions"

Meaning they wanted to give her the subscription she had already payed for for "FREE" instead of refunding her money. She explained to him that was the SAME as PAYING for the subscription she didn't want to pay for.

She had to go through this TWICE to get it cancelled. They are almost as bad as AOL.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 2, 2007, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
He asked for ONE magazine. Not a subscription.
http://www.macaddict.com/issues/free

Would you please read out for us, what the "submit" button says on their webpage?

Yes, it's a dirty marketing practice that counts on people's greed and laziness. But come on, everybody knows how this works.

Kevin
Baninated
Jan 2, 2007, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
Yes, it's a dirty marketing practice that counts on people's greed and laziness. But come on, everybody knows how this works.
NO not "everyone" knows how this works. Obviously the original poster did not.

But you agreed, it's a dirty marketing practice.
It's uses to take advantage of people that normally wouldn't spend money on such things.

They are making money off of people that wouldn't normally buy said magazine purely because of convenient reasons, they are slime.

That alone negates anything else.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jan 2, 2007, 05:35 PM

NO not "everyone" knows how this works. Obviously the original poster did not.

But you agreed, it's a dirty marketing practice.
It's uses to take advantage of people that normally wouldn't spend money on such things.

They are making money off of people that wouldn't normally buy said magazine purely because of convenient reasons, they are slime.

That alone negates anything else.
What's "dirty" about it? It is CLEARLY spelled out what you get and what you have to do if you want to cancel. If people are too lazy to read the agreements when they sign up for free stuff, they deserve what they get.

Sorry, but the OP screwed up by not marking CANCEL on the invoice he received. And remember, NOTHING in life is "free". If someone is giving something away, you can bet you are obligated to pay something at some point.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 2, 2007, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by webhigh View Post
INAPPROPRIATE POST DELETED. THERE IS NO PLACE FOR PERSONAL ATTACKS IN THE MACNN FORUMS.
WTF?
( Last edited by ghporter; Jan 3, 2007 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Removed personal attack quoted by member)
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jan 2, 2007, 05:48 PM

No, it's a dirty practice on MacAddicts part. He should have to go out of HIS way to make sure something he never ASKED for is sent to him. They should be on THEM. Just because it's "normal practice" doesn't mean it's a legit way to deal with customers. Their only reason of doing this is to get money they normally would not have otherwise.

He asked for ONE magazine. Not a subscription. What MA should do is make it so you have to send something in to get MORE magazines. And if you don't, you wont.

My ex had a problem with MA once because of this situation. And instead of refunding her money they wanted to get this give her "free subscriptions"

Meaning they wanted to give her the subscription she had already payed for for "FREE" instead of refunding her money. She explained to him that was the SAME as PAYING for the subscription she didn't want to pay for.

She had to go through this TWICE to get it cancelled. They are almost as bad as AOL.
Sorry, but it is clearly spelled out that if you take the free magazine, others will follow and you are billed automatically. You have to cancel if you don't want it. If you don't know that going in, you deserve what you get.

Next time you go to Best Buy and they ask if you if you want a free issue of Entertainment Weekly, look and see what the offer actually is first.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Jan 2, 2007, 05:51 PM

Everyone repeat after me:
"If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is."
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2007, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Gossamer View Post
Actually I think most of the people in this thread agreed that although technically legal and quite prevalent, the magazine is practicing shady deals, and all he has to do is write a polite note to get them off of his back. And exactly where did he say he checked any box?
I should have written "pressed the submit button" I guess... The conditions are only one sentence long, it doesn't take a a genius to figure out that "If I like Mac|Life, I will pay $19.95 for 11 more issues (12 in all). If I am not fully satisfied, I will return the invoice marked "cancel" and have no further obligation." means you need to cancel if you don't want to continue after the trial magazine.

He actually asked for the subscription and promised to cancel if he didn't want more.

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
MacAddict Customer Service
Would you please read out for us, what the "submit" button says on their webpage?
Bingo. Nothing shady about it; like I said before, it is ONE SENTENCE! If you can't take the time to read one sentence you probably deserve whatever consequences you get from it.

kick52
Baninated
Jan 2, 2007, 06:17 PM

looking at the website..

to anyone that doesnt read it in detail, it looks like it means "Get a free issue of this mag" rather than "Get a subscripton of this mag and get the first issue free."

Kevin
Baninated
Jan 2, 2007, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by kick52 View Post
looking at the website..

to anyone that doesnt read it in detail, it looks like it means "Get a free issue of this mag" rather than "Get a subscripton of this mag and get the first issue free."
Exactly. And their purpose of doing things this way is to get money they wouldn't normally get honestly.

Shame on MacAddict.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 2, 2007, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
WTF?
Man, has MacNN become a place for scammers and trolls.

Time that I leave ?!?!

-t

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 2, 2007, 06:44 PM

Shame on every magazine ever then. They all do this. This is nothing new.

The fact that someone over 12 would be surprised by the series of events here is what is shocking me. No offense.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Benton
Forum Regular

Maybe call 1-888-771-6222 or write to [email protected] and explain your situation. They are kind and will accommodate you. Or, better yet, subscribe for this unimaginable rate of $9.39 for 3 years. eBay: MACADDICT MAGAZINE 3YR SUBSCRIPTION NO S/H (item 150074978429 end time Jan-03-07 12:28:28 PST)

What part don't people understand? Why not support the limited Mac publishing in the USA? MacAddict/MacLife should be supported by WE Mac enthusiasts instead of denigrated. Offer your constructive advice and maybe the editors will take heed. It is also another venue for Maccentric product suppliers to share their message.

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN

Exactly. And their purpose of doing things this way is to get money they wouldn't normally get honestly.

Shame on MacAddict.
No, the purpose is to encourage people who are on the fence to join. You get a chance to trial the magazine, and then if you don't like it you can cancel and not be billed. And if you're not that bothered either way, you might just not bother to cancel. I'm kind of surprised that you didn't have to hand over payment details before getting the free issue, though.

If he didn't know, then that's a mistake on his part - it's clear on the site what the deal is. You know, like not even hidden in the small print or terms and conditions or anything. And it's only $25.

Kevin
Baninated
Jan 2, 2007, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
Shame on every magazine ever then. They all do this.
Exactly. No matter how much it's done, doesn't make it right.

Naaaaak
Forum Regular
Jan 2, 2007, 06:47 PM

"Michael Bluth is threatening me!" is the first thing that came to mind when I read the thread title.

Email them back and insist that they stop having conversations with you about your rack (or adapted slightly in this case, your magazine rack).
To be determined later.

Kevin
Baninated
Jan 2, 2007, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Angus_D View Post
No, the purpose is to encourage people who are on the fence to join. You get a chance to trial the magazine, and then if you don't like it you can cancel and not be billed. And if you're not that bothered either way, you might just not bother to cancel. I'm kind of surprised that you didn't have to hand over payment details before getting the free issue, though.
No that isn't the purpose. Else they would make it so you have to do extra steps to SIGN UP instead of extra steps to cancel. They are hoping they can get some money from extra lazy people and those that don't read the small print.

It has shown to be a profit gainer. It doesn't matter if it's slimy or not to them. If they can legally get away with it they will.

This has caused me to never do any of those "free trial offers"

I also gave an example of an ex that had to call TWICE to get credit back. The first time they just wanted to give her a "free" membership she already payed for.

All they care about is numbers. Not why or how.

macintologist  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 2, 2007, 06:53 PM

Alright I just called them and asked for a cancellation. It took like 30 seconds. Thanks for the help guys

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 2, 2007, 06:55 PM

Haha, all the fuzz about nothing.

MacNN teh rulez.

-t

Kevin
Baninated
Jan 2, 2007, 06:58 PM

Alright I just called them and asked for a cancellation. It took like 30 seconds. Thanks for the help guys
If you gave them any credit info or the like check the statements in a few days.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jan 2, 2007, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Naaaaak View Post
"Michael Bluth is threatening me!" is the first thing that came to mind when I read the thread title.

http://www.ripethings.com/crap/threatening_me_pic.png

Email them back and insist that they stop having conversations with you about your rack (or adapted slightly in this case, your magazine rack).

My sister and I watched most of the 3 seasons over break, awesome show.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jan 2, 2007, 07:26 PM

As of the February 2007 issue, MacAddict will be relaunched as Mac|Life, a thoroughly modern take on all things Apple. If you’re not currently a MacAddict subscriber (or if your subscription is about to expire) use this form to reserve your FREE copy of Mac|Life’s premier issue. There’s no obligation.
If I like Mac|Life, I will pay $19.95 for 11 more issues (12 in all). If I am not fully satisfied, I will return the invoice marked "cancel" and have no further obligation.
Yeah, you're right. That's REALLY confusing. lol

Explain to me again how this is in any way misleading.

Forum Links
Forum Rules