Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > The Halo 3 Beta Thread

The Halo 3 Beta Thread
Peter
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2007, 01:19 PM

Anyone got it? thoughts?
I love it, I've never really been a Halo fan -- this might switch me. The SnipersAndShotguns mix is very cool.
My ID is Hejog1 if anyone wants to hook up and play some.
we don't have time to stop for gas

highstakes
Senior User
May 17, 2007, 02:12 PM

I think it will be a nice jump from Halo 2 to Halo 3 (in terms of multiplayer), the graphics are sharp and very nicely detailed. The game did crash on me twice last night, but the update helped out a lot.

Highstakes2 is my tag.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2007, 02:18 PM

Yeah, I'm having fun with it. I do think that I prefer the slower and more tactical Gears of war, but Halo is a ton of fun. It doesn't really feel that much different to me though. Just more Halo. Not that that is necessarily a bad thing. After playing the beta for about 3 hours last night, I do have to say that I'm a bit sick of the maps. I'm ready for the real game.

The ability to save movies of your game is awesome. I hope the put out some form of video editor. How cool would that be?

Also, the graphics look a lot better when you watch the replays, probably because you can actually focus on them.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

highstakes
Senior User
May 17, 2007, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
The ability to save movies of your game is awesome. I hope the put out some form of video editor. How cool would that be?
Save them to your flash drive, edit it on your Mac...we can only hope!

Peter  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2007, 03:04 PM

it needs youtube integration
we don't have time to stop for gas

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2007, 03:37 PM

Except that the game is not saving video you can save elsewhere. It's saving the gameplay data and then recreating the match with the game engine. That's why a 10 minute match can be replayed in high-def and the save file is only 4 megs.

Pretty cool idea.

Naaaaak
Forum Regular
May 17, 2007, 04:04 PM

Except that the game is not saving video you can save elsewhere. It's saving the gameplay data and then recreating the match with the game engine. That's why a 10 minute match can be replayed in high-def and the save file is only 4 megs.

Pretty cool idea.
Another great idea taken from Marathon.
To be determined later.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2007, 04:17 PM

I tried to download it last night but it wasn't available through Crackdown for me. I'll start the download when I get home tonight.

emdeesee on xbox live if anyone wants to play.

ink
Mac Elite
May 18, 2007, 01:32 PM

gradient
Mac Elite
May 18, 2007, 03:06 PM

It doesn't really feel that much different to me though. Just more Halo.
Seconded. I'm probably biased, because I can never get into multiplayer shooters no matter what game it is, but this demo bores the heck out of me. The graphics don't even look that much better then the original Halo to me, either - certainly not the improvement that I expected.

Dark_Lotus
Forum Regular
May 18, 2007, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by gradient View Post
Seconded. I'm probably biased, because I can never get into multiplayer shooters no matter what game it is, but this demo bores the heck out of me. The graphics don't even look that much better then the original Halo to me, either - certainly not the improvement that I expected.
Yeah right, the graphics on the Halo 3 better are TONS better than Halo graphics. I love Halo 3, I like how they added more of halo in it than halo 2. Is it just me or does everyone suck that plays the beta? There must be a bunch of first timers.

gradient
Mac Elite
May 19, 2007, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by Dark_Lotus View Post
There must be a bunch of first timers.
Probably. There are probably a lot of people out there like me that bought Crackdown to play Crackdown, but figured we should try out the Halo beta seeing that it is available.

You're probably right about the graphics - it's been a long time since I played the original Halo. It was more of an underwhelmed general impression then anything else. But, like I said, I almost always find multiplayer shooters underwhelming.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
May 19, 2007, 01:28 AM

Yeah, I popped in Halo 2 tonight, just to see what the difference was, and wow, it's night and day.

Halo 2 looks like poo compared to Halo 3.

Forum Links
Forum Rules