Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Interface Builder: designing your entire interface?

Interface Builder: designing your entire interface?
Ilja
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 6, 2003, 02:54 PM

When I first tried IB I was expecting the following:

That you could desing your entire interface and tie it together. So in the end you would have a 'visually' working application which you could show to your clients for their approval.

So this interface would work visually, but without any business logic tied to it *yet*. So it would exactly the same as it would be when it is finished: menu-items would work, preference-windows would work, new windows would open if applicable, only buttons would work that would do anything visually: opening new window, tabbing, whatever...

This would be really powerfull and usefull, any chance IB would support this in the near future?
I'm Appleless and unhappy: tiBook is dead and iPod stolen

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 6, 2003, 03:03 PM

command-R

DSHwrd
Aug 6, 2003, 03:06 PM

Maybe I'm not understanding what you're saying... But Interface Builder (at least my copy) can do everything that you just described. Thanks to the actions through connections, you can visually complete your application within IB without a single line of code. You want a window to open when you click a button? Drag a connection from the button to the desired window, in the IB Info window, click the 'makeKeyAndOrderFront' connection (then connect it). It's as simple as that. Same thing goes for menu items. Everything that has to do with opening windows, moving windows around, etc. . . can be done through IB. Just make sure you 'Run' the file in IB (command-r or go to the 'File' menu and choose 'Test Interface'.

If I have missed your point, please repost it. I'd be more than happy to help you figure it out.

Cheers,
- Daniel
Daniel Howard | Mac OS X (10.2.2) | TiBook867 /\ iSub w/ Soundsticks /\ iPod
www.midnite-liteman.com | ideaSpiral 1.5.3 / DVD Rack 1.0.2

DaGuy
Senior User
Aug 6, 2003, 03:10 PM

I guess what you are looking for is enhanced testing features. Sort of command-R on steroids.

Those would be nice but I don't see how to get very far without adding some business logic. But then again, as is, Command-R is pretty limited and has room for improvement.

Forum Links
Forum Rules