Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Loud click in my TiBook when using iTunes, then it hangs :(

Loud click in my TiBook when using iTunes, then it hangs :(
Ilja
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 1, 2003, 07:10 PM

Since yesterday I have a really odd problem. I think it's iTunes related since it only happens when I use iTunes.

It started yesterday after I imported 10 cd's or so.

After let iTunes play some music for a while suddenly the music stops, I get the spinning beachball and my whole computer freezes.

The most scary thing is a really loud click from the front of my TiBook (somewhere under my touchpad I think). You can actually hear it really loud and feel it as well.

Since this happens also every time when I reboot the machine (or just start it up) a window of my 'computer' location of Finder is opened at startup.

I have only some 350 mb free on my Mac OSX cd so maybe that's a related cause? However this is the case for quite a while without a problem.

The loud click really bothers me, since it probably means something is wrong with my TiBook. But I am puzzled on why it suddenly happens just after I imported some cd's.

I'm using the latest macosx and itunes versions.
I'm Appleless and unhappy: tiBook is dead and iPod stolen

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 1, 2003, 07:57 PM

Originally posted by Ilja:
I have only some 350 mb free on my Mac OSX cd
I assume you mean on your hard disk? That can be a big problem in OS X, although I wouldn't think it would cause the click. Actually it sounds like your hard disk may be dying. The computer may be freezing while playing iTunes because one or more of the songs is in a place on the hard disk that has bad sectors.

robertka
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 1, 2003, 09:14 PM

Backup your data and back it up right now!!! It sounds identical to a problem I had recently and if the click is coming from your hard drive, then the drive is dying. What model PowerBook is it and what size hard drive? If it's still under warranty, call Apple and send it in. However, I cannot emphasize this enough, "BACKUP YOUR DATA!!!"

Ilja  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 2, 2003, 03:06 AM

ooo maaaaaan

That doesn't sound good. My Tibook isn't under warranty anymore
I'm Appleless and unhappy: tiBook is dead and iPod stolen

Link
Professional Poster
Sep 2, 2003, 10:54 AM

No need to panic, if you prepare, it won't be so bad.

Basically your laptop's hard drive seems to be going bad, and when it reaches a certain point, is knocking out. Who knows why, it just happens, and it's unfortunate it's happening to you so early.

What you will need:

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...otebook%2C40gb

^^ the first drive.

The instructions to replace your powerbook's hard drive:

http://www.transintl.com/technotes/titanium.htm

or apple's documentation:

http://www.transintl.com/technotes/pdf/pbg4-hdrive.pdf

You'll also need a torx t8 (not included with the hard drive.)

It shouldn't be too hard. A little patience is required... I don't really reccomend setting the powerbook on the edge of a table with it's screen hanging off tho!

When doing this you'll probably want to stick the cloth between the screen and the keyboard.. just be gentle, stick in the OS cd when you're done replacing the hard drive, and your computer will be good as new.
Aloha

Forum Links
Forum Rules