Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Is my Mac OSX copy legal?

Is my Mac OSX copy legal?
Ilja
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 27, 2003, 05:09 AM

I owe my second hand powerbook for a year now and was just wondering about the following thing (never thought about it before):

With this second hand powerbook, came the installation disc of Mac OSX in the box and everything (just how you buy it in the shop)

Does that make me a legal owner of a Mac OSX license?
I'm Appleless and unhappy: tiBook is dead and iPod stolen

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 27, 2003, 05:13 AM

Yes. You own it because you bought the laptop and everything that came with it, including OS X.

I don't think there is a case when there isn't at least one license per physical copy. Therefore, if you own a physical copy, you own a license.

Ilja  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 27, 2003, 05:17 AM

thanks, that's assuring

Boondoggle
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 27, 2003, 07:56 AM

A careful examination of the serial number of your copy will give you great peace of mind that the software license police will not break down your door at any minute...

1.25GHz PowerBook

i vostri seni sono spettacolari

:XI:
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2003, 09:55 AM

I bought a second hand powerbook last week, it had a semi-install of 9.1 on it. (Some missing control panels.) I put Jag on it, the same one I installed on my Powermac. So, I have an illegal install.

I could've put an unused 10.1 on it. but... :vomit:

When Panther is released I'll up the RAM and buy that family pack thing.

I'm just 'fessing up!

{edit}
I'd just like to add, I LOVE ADOBE!!!

from the Photoshop 7 License:
2.4. Portable Computer Use. The primary user of the Computer on which the Software is installed may
also make a second copy for his or her exclusive use on a portable Computer provided the Software on the
portable Computer is not being used at the same time the Software on the primary computer is being used.
I can use my legal copy of photoshop on my illegal install of OSX!

sorry Apple :/

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Sep 27, 2003, 11:56 AM

Originally posted by :XI::
When Panther is released I'll up the RAM and buy that family pack thing.
Can you get the family pack with the student discount? I couldn't find it at the Apple store.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

coolmacdude
Senior User
Sep 27, 2003, 01:13 PM

Originally posted by Boondoggle:
A careful examination of the serial number of your copy will give you great peace of mind that the software license police will not break down your door at any minute...

Ha. When has that ever happened in the history of software?
2.16 Ghz Core 2 Macbook, 3GB Ram, 120 GB

Ilja  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 27, 2003, 01:22 PM

Sorry, I'm not following you

Boondoggle
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 27, 2003, 04:38 PM

If it is impossible to detect a law being broken then the rationale behind that law is suspect.

Mac OS licences are like a law saying that you must think about tangerines when putting on your socks.

Undetectable, unenforceable, and therefore irrational.

It is just a game.

I always buy my OS upgrades because I like to. that isn't particularly rational either.

Here is a question: If you buy a Mac OS CD paying cash, loose your reciept and disks after installing it, do you still own a license?

How does Apple prove you don't? How do they distinguish between you and a pirate?
1.25GHz PowerBook

i vostri seni sono spettacolari

Ilja  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 27, 2003, 04:48 PM

I was just wondering.... Not that I was affraid that Apple would knock on my door or anything. I wouldn't like to be a pirate officially, I like my OS and would gladly pay for it.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Sep 27, 2003, 07:53 PM

Originally posted by Ilja:
I was just wondering.... Not that I was affraid that Apple would knock on my door or anything. I wouldn't like to be a pirate officially, I like my OS and would gladly pay for it.
Don't let them bother you with all the little "nitpicking details"

Bottom line is, if you have a physical, original (i.e., from Apple) CD copy of the OS (all disks), and it's installed on one machine, you're legal.

Of course, if you have a real, original copy of the 5-install license found in the "Family Pack" (the CDs are the same, I think), then you can legally install on up to 5 computers that you own.

Ilja  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 28, 2003, 04:13 AM

Originally posted by Person Man:

Of course, if you have a real, original copy of the 5-install license found in the "Family Pack" (the CDs are the same, I think), then you can legally install on up to 5 computers that you own.
I wish I'd own that much apple computers

Link
Professional Poster
Sep 28, 2003, 06:54 AM

It's all in the morals. If you bought the computer and the OS and it came with the retail CDs, you are fine.

Anyway, to add, illegally having a program or OS is much like violating traffic laws, you 'don't break the law' until you're caught

Think about how many times you've driven over the speed limit without being caught, you know you've done it.. heck I've only been behind the wheel of a car FOUR HOURS and have done it several times..

Actually in piracy you don't ever get 'caught' when you've installed a program (unless you registered it... IDIOT!), it's when you're downloading it that you get nailed.
Aloha

Ilja  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 28, 2003, 07:01 AM

I know I know I know

This wasn't meant as a morality thread or something. Was just wondering whether I am a pirate or not technically

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 28, 2003, 08:25 AM

If it is impossible to detect a law being broken then the rationale behind that law is suspect.

Mac OS licences are like a law saying that you must think about tangerines when putting on your socks.

Undetectable, unenforceable, and therefore irrational.

It is just a game.
So, you're saying the whole thing becomes legitimate once it's detectable and enforceable?

Can you say "Windows Product Activation"?

-s*

wadesworld
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 28, 2003, 10:20 AM

Anyway, to add, illegally having a program or OS is much like violating traffic laws, you 'don't break the law' until you're caught
Sigh....

Not true at all. But I sense trying to explain ethical behavior would be a fruitless conversation.

Instead, how about thinking about the software developer that spent thousands of hours on the program you stole? Perhaps he's hoping he can buy a new Mac, or even turn full-time so he can keep developing great Mac software.

Wade

Forum Links
Forum Rules