Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Question Regarding Hidden Files

Question Regarding Hidden Files
Agent69
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2003, 06:58 PM

I was wondering if anyone could take the time to enlighten me on what the .ds_store and .localized files do in Mac OS X? Also, is there any problem with deleting them?

Thanks in advance.
Agent69

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2003, 07:15 PM

.DS_Store files store the view settings for the Finder. Deleting them will restore the default view settings and you will lose the file comments.

.localized files mark a standard folder as one that should be shown with a localized display name. In English that usually is the same as the file system name, but in other localizations the Documents folder might display with a different name for example. The .localized files themselves contain nothing. They are just a marker, a flag. There is not real harm in deleting them, but it doesn't do any good either. You shouldn't delete them.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2003, 10:20 PM

Hidden files are generally hidden for a reason. I recommend leaving them alone!

Forum Links
Forum Rules