Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > G5 for Powerbook?

View Poll Results: Ibook, Powerbook, G4 or G5 or Dell?
Poll Options:
Ibook G4 1 votes (4.17%)
Powerbook G4 9 votes (37.50%)
Desktop G5 1 votes (4.17%)
Wait for G5 Powerbook 13 votes (54.17%)
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll
G5 for Powerbook?
raven00
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 17, 2004, 11:43 PM

Hey,,,
I am about to purchase my first Apple laptop...I really would like to see Apple fix the heat issue regarding the G5. So one of my questions would you get an Ibook or a Powerbook with G4?...or would you get the 64 bit G5 workstation for less money?....and do most of you feel good about Virtual PC 7 for Mac?....I want the windows apps becasue my clients require it...but I am a retired 25 year Sun unix guy who yearns to get back into unix and finally when is the Tiger OS coming out?...with the G5 Ibook?

all your thoughts and recommendations are welcome....i dont want to have to buy a Dell P4 laptop...so give me the positives and negatives...thks.

the raven man
Michael Morin
Geo_Spatial Analyst

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Nov 17, 2004, 11:51 PM

do you want a desktop or a laptop?
iamwhor3hay

raven00  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 2004, 12:05 AM

A laptop!...but the G5 on the desk is tempting.

Originally posted by MrForgetable:
do you want a desktop or a laptop?
Michael Morin
Geo_Spatial Analyst

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2004, 01:43 AM

About vpc7
it will run on g5 hardware
it doesn't use the graphics card for 3d graphics
a powerbook g4 will get you pentium 2-3 speeds(400 megahertz)but it will seem ok because drive access and memory won't be slowed much.

wilsonng
Senior User
Nov 21, 2004, 02:33 AM

One idea is to get an iBook G4 for portability and then an iMac G5 for most of your heavy duty stuff. You'll get all the power you need in an iMac G5 and still carry stuff around on the iBook. Then use an ethernet cable or Airport to transfer files between the 2 computers.

I am under the impression that you would benefit from a G5 processor when using VPC7. VPC7 on an iBook would probably be unbearable...

Originally posted by raven00:
Hey,,,
I am about to purchase my first Apple laptop...I really would like to see Apple fix the heat issue regarding the G5. So one of my questions would you get an Ibook or a Powerbook with G4?...or would you get the 64 bit G5 workstation for less money?....and do most of you feel good about Virtual PC 7 for Mac?....I want the windows apps becasue my clients require it...but I am a retired 25 year Sun unix guy who yearns to get back into unix and finally when is the Tiger OS coming out?...with the G5 Ibook?

all your thoughts and recommendations are welcome....i dont want to have to buy a Dell P4 laptop...so give me the positives and negatives...thks.

the raven man

Forum Links
Forum Rules