Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Theme Changing for Beginners?

Theme Changing for Beginners?
gangaspeed
Forum Regular
Jul 3, 2007, 11:09 AM

Could anyone sort of give me a quick how-to on changing themes for my pb? I have transparent dock and candybar already and was wanting to change the theme of it all. Any help appreciated greatly.. Thanks.

roosta
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 3, 2007, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by gangaspeed View Post
Could anyone sort of give me a quick how-to on changing themes for my pb? I have transparent dock and candybar already and was wanting to change the theme of it all. Any help appreciated greatly.. Thanks.
go to unsanity and download shapeshifter ($20) once you have that installed, go to InterfaceLIFT and browse the hundred or so guikits they have there.
you might also try MacThemes 2. there seems to be an 'aqua' mod fixation there, but lately some nice non-aqua themes can be found in the releases and modifications sections.

SpaceCat85
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 6, 2007, 08:36 PM

On PowerPC Macs like the PowerBook you should be able to use ThemeChanger + a DLTA theme for free. Keep in mind that this is actually swapping GUI resource files out (like CandyBar does with icons) rather than applying a theme to programs as they open (ShapeShifter).

Tikiug (direct download) should let you convert most themes into a format you can use in ThemeChanger. GuiKitty (ShapeShifter 1.x themes only) + Guikit2DLTA used to be the standard way under OS 10.3 of extracting a ShapeShifter guikit's resources, but they've been superseded by Tikiug.

GenoG
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 4, 2007, 11:50 AM

This is a helpful post. I have been looking at the screenshot thread and wondering what programs were used to do that.
Studying right now for ACMT.

Forum Links
Forum Rules