Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Somebody explain to me the origins of girls and guys wearing shorts in this weather?

Somebody explain to me the origins of girls and guys wearing shorts in this weather?
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 25, 2014, 12:38 AM

This appears to be some sort of fashion/style thing, maybe a statement among the guys about how tough they can be in the cold, I don't know, there seem to be a number of different theories.

I'm kind of wondering how long this has been going on though, and if there is some sort of definitive reasoning behind this?

mindwaves
Jan 25, 2014, 01:18 PM

I suppose that I am one of those people. I wear shorts not to show how tough I am, but I feel much more comfortable with shorts. They are much more free flowing, easier to wear, and don't interfere with my shoes when compared with long pants.

And when you think about it, your lower legs really do not get cold in the winter. It is mainly people's imagination of how cold it really is. And my last reason is that my internal body temperature is higher than other people's. I can wear a short sleeve shirt and a wind breaker in the snow when playing around and still be sweating at the end.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 25, 2014, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by mindwaves View Post
I suppose that I am one of those people. I wear shorts not to show how tough I am, but I feel much more comfortable with shorts. They are much more free flowing, easier to wear, and don't interfere with my shoes when compared with long pants.

And when you think about it, your lower legs really do not get cold in the winter. It is mainly people's imagination of how cold it really is. And my last reason is that my internal body temperature is higher than other people's. I can wear a short sleeve shirt and a wind breaker in the snow when playing around and still be sweating at the end.
Do you still live in California? I'm talking about freezing your balls off sort of cold, not simply chilly.

mindwaves
Jan 25, 2014, 03:50 PM

No, not in CA right now. I'm talking about chilly, I guess. Probably under 55 degrees F, I would start wearing long pants. Of course if it is freezing, I wouldn't wear shorts. That is just stupid.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 25, 2014, 03:52 PM

If you're highly active you don't notice it. You don't really lose heat from your legs. Not enough capillaries at the surface.

What needs to be covered (and covered well) are hands, feet, head, and your core.

Full disclosure: I don't run, and don't wear shorts below 40°F.

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2014, 04:09 PM

Why are you asking this like it is some perplexing mystery or a research thesis? People do all kinds of things to be different and buck the norm. Humans have been doing it for years; it is nothing new. Just smile, nod, and continue on your way. You'll be okay.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 25, 2014, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by abbaZaba View Post
Why are you asking this like it is some perplexing mystery or a research thesis? People do all kinds of things to be different and buck the norm. Humans have been doing it for years; it is nothing new. Just smile, nod, and continue on your way. You'll be okay.

At first I thought this was some sort of temporary fad, and I wondered if there was something behind it.

It looks like this is definitely nothing new.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2014, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by mindwaves View Post
No, not in CA right now. I'm talking about chilly, I guess. Probably under 55 degrees F, I would start wearing long pants. Of course if it is freezing, I wouldn't wear shorts. That is just stupid.
That's not cold.

Cold is what we have right now, -40º (both C and F) last week. I wore my Arctic coat to work.

mindwaves
Jan 25, 2014, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Phileas View Post
That's not cold.

Cold is what we have right now, -40º (both C and F) last week. I wore my Arctic coat to work.
I meant to say 45 degrees F, but yes, compared to -40, it is not cold.

andi*pandi
Jan 26, 2014, 08:28 AM

It has to be some kind of fashion choice, but makes no sense to me. In the 80s, no one wore hats because it would mess with their hair, but at least they wore pants. A lot of kids now wear flipflop/sport sandals year round. I saw a woman wearing miniskirt in the 15F cold yesterday. My legs get cold in pants and socks, never mind mini skirt and pantyhose.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 1, 2014, 04:31 PM

Not sure how to answer the question. People are strange?

Here, it's the opposite. If the weather drops below 70°, people start busting out scarves and beanies.

Forum Links
Forum Rules