Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Migration

Migration
matty-uk
Forum Regular
Mar 2, 2007, 05:10 AM

Well it's finally time to upgrade the HD in my iBook. I've got for a 160gb Seagate drive over the 40 standard. I've never done a move from disk to disk on a mac before so have no idea what I need to copy/move to get my mail across etc.

Does anyone have any advice about what I need to do? Installing the drive I'm not fussed about will just take my time and follow the instructions. But with the data I'm not sure about. I was thinking of taking out the drive already in and putting that in a caddy I have and then just performing a fresh install on the seagate drive when it's installed.

What do you all think?

pcguy1
Mar 2, 2007, 08:51 AM

there is 2 way to go about this,

1. put your new drive in the caddy and use a diskcopy program such as superduper to make a clone of your old drive to the new drive, install the new drive and you are done.

2. Install the new drive and isetup os fresh, you will choice the old drive(in caddY) when the new install os ask if u need to transfer data.

gl
Do not settle for the world in shades of grey

matty-uk  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 2, 2007, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by pcguy1 View Post
2. Install the new drive and isetup os fresh, you will choice the old drive(in caddY) when the new install os ask if u need to transfer data.

gl
Ideally I'd like a completely fresh install and to transfer the data. Can you elaborate on option 2 for me please Will I be prompted for a data transfer when installing the OS fresh?

Dr. DDS
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 2, 2007, 03:23 PM

yes, when you are installing OSX it will ask you if you want to move your stuff from another mac (your old HD in an FW enclosure will work too). It's that easy
14" ibook g4 /1,42Ghz/60Gb/1,5Gb RAM!

matty-uk  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 3, 2007, 12:30 PM

Ok cool, was just looking at the migration assitant and it mentions a volume in this mac which would be my old HD in the caddy

Thanks guys, I'll let you know how it goes next weekend when I have the parts and have given it a go

Forum Links
Forum Rules