Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Intel iMac or PowermacG5???

Intel iMac or PowermacG5???
Cincojoe
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 2, 2006, 12:22 PM

ok here is my dilemma. I need to purchase a new mac this week for photography work since my G4 laptop is not cutting the mustard anymore. (RAW files are just too big) I can't decide between the Intel iMac or buying a Powermac. I know the Intel Powermac will be out this year but to tell you the truth I'm not really all that jazzed about all the issues people are having with software not being up to date yet. Like Photoshop won't be updated until late this year maybe later. From what I hear Photoshop runs dog slow on the Intel now. I'm leaning more and more towards just getting a DC 2.0 Powermac and a 20in monitor. Am I over reacting about the Intel and 3rd party software not being up to date yet?
Power Mac 2.0 with 4GB RAM

iREZ
Professional Poster
Mar 2, 2006, 01:33 PM

photoshop WILL outperform your current computer, and will only get faster once CS3 is released. think about it, not only will you have a faster computer now, but it'd seem like another upgrade once all the software you use becomes universal. im a design major and use photoshop and illy alllll the time and didnt hesitate placing my order for a 17" imac two days ago (dell 20" lcd given to me by work ).
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Cincojoe  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 2, 2006, 02:39 PM

Good points thanks.

But don't you feel that your getting robbed somewhat? I mean by the time CS3 is released and other 3rd party software finally cathes up, guess what, another iMac will be released. You just spent money on a machine that you can't get full potential out of and then the next latest and greatest will be out by Apple. Does that make any sense? Maybe I'm just worrying about nothing.....lol
Power Mac 2.0 with 4GB RAM

iREZ
Professional Poster
Mar 2, 2006, 03:57 PM

well...i dont ONLY use adobe apps. fact is when im not using adobe apps im pretty much using the iApps and safari and watching videos. :shrug: if you could wait, then wait till you cant wait any longer, as for me i always argue myself out of big purchases, but if you really look at the imac lines from g4 to g5 to these intels...you'll notice that there isnt much difference between the last iteration of each machines offering and the first iteration.

g4 went from a 15" iMac 700mhz or 17" 1ghz to a 17" 1.25 and 20" imac 1.25ghz. g5 started with the 1.6 and 1.8g5 and ended up with a 1.9 and 2.1. now we have 1.83 and 2.0 duo core i see the next rev at 2.0 and 2.16 respectively, and the last rev or two will have a 23" HD version which is nothing i cant achieve by just purchasing an HD LCD late on and spanning with my imac.

regardless of what is released later, im pretty sure this machine will last me an easy 2 years with no itch of wanting to upgrade and while on its third year, ill be looking for a new machine no matter what mac i purchase today.

onlykaria
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 3, 2006, 07:40 PM

if i can put in my two cents.
My last computer was a 12 inch ibook with 60gb and 756ram. right now i am playing with am imac i just picked up with the 1.83GHZ intel core duo with only 512 ram and i have to say it is DEFINITELY much faster than the ibook.

while so far i have been unable to get photoshop cs 2 to run at all i was able to get photoshop elements 3 to run. it runs as fast or faster than it did on the ibook. so my guess is if you had the ram for photoshop to run, it should run well.

heck this is was just going to be a temp machine, but i must say i am so happy with it that i dont know how i will part with it in two weeks when its due for a return.
Computers:
Macbook Pro: 17in, 2.16Ghz, 120GB HD, 1.5 GB ram.
iBook G4: 1.07Ghz, 60GB HD, 756mb ram (on sale for parts)

Gordio
Mar 3, 2006, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Cincojoe
ok here is my dilemma. I need to purchase a new mac this week for photography work since my G4 laptop is not cutting the mustard anymore. (RAW files are just too big) I can't decide between the Intel iMac or buying a Powermac. I know the Intel Powermac will be out this year but to tell you the truth I'm not really all that jazzed about all the issues people are having with software not being up to date yet. Like Photoshop won't be updated until late this year maybe later. From what I hear Photoshop runs dog slow on the Intel now. I'm leaning more and more towards just getting a DC 2.0 Powermac and a 20in monitor. Am I over reacting about the Intel and 3rd party software not being up to date yet?
Thing is if you get a G5, it'll last only a year (assuming thats how long it'll take for everything to turn x86). Do you see yourself buying a new apple in a year?

iREZ
Professional Poster
Mar 3, 2006, 10:19 PM

Cincojoe i just got my 17" core duo imac and it is lots faster. i would definitely recommend this machine to anybody coming from a 1.25g4 or less. if you feel you could wait out a little long, go for the intel powermac offerings...but for $1175 (amazon price after rebate), this was a no brainer for myself. i have it spanning on to a new dell 20" lcd (thanks to work ) and its doing me just fine. if you have any personal requests, let me know...seeing how we both came from basically the same computer.

Forum Links
Forum Rules