Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > XP: Backup software (remote capable) recommendations?

XP: Backup software (remote capable) recommendations?
zro
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2008, 05:19 PM

Preferably with scheduling. I have an external FireWire drive I'd like to set-up as a backup destination for a couple of other machines on the LAN, one running Windows XP.

I've looked at c|net and even VersionTracker, but I must admit I'm fairly lost looking for Windows shareware (or freeware ).

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 3, 2008, 05:52 PM

The built-in backup solution in XP should work fine, even to an external FireWire drive, and it has a pretty good scheduling ability. What do you mean by "remote capable"? As in "external drive?" It should work fine-it does to network drives for certain.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

zro  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2008, 10:50 AM

*swoooosh!*

That's the sound of your post going over my Machead head.

By remote I mean not local, a share on the network. Slow as hell that way, though. I may end up just getting a USB2 card for this machine.

I did try out something called SyncBack which does what I need and is overall pretty slick.Back!

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 4, 2008, 09:25 PM

The built in backup program in XP will indeed work with a network drive. I have done it myself. You can also schedule when you want it to back up, what you want to back up, and in some ways how you want it to back up.

Is that a little lower in altitude for you?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 5, 2008, 01:06 AM

Microsoft has an article with some screenshots showing the backup utility, and has some recommended alternatives at the end as well. Worth a look.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u..._03july14.mspx
<This space under renovation>

Forum Links
Forum Rules