Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Microsoft Office and student discount question

Microsoft Office and student discount question
adiliegro
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 1, 2004, 08:08 PM

Im a student...not a traditional student, but an adult student going to a technical college. How does Microsoft verify that I am a student with the discount for the student version? Does anyone know?
Allen
Converted Mac user since 09-20-2004

storer
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2004, 08:09 PM

Originally posted by adiliegro:
Im a student...not a traditional student, but an adult student going to a technical college. How does Microsoft verify that I am a student with the discount for the student version? Does anyone know?
I think so. I'm not certain. Check out their education website and see whether or not you qualify (i think they call it academic)

iPoder
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 1, 2004, 11:22 PM

A simple answer: No. Microsoft has no way of checking your student status, and the retailers don't care and won't check any student ID.

This is a dirty secret of Microsoft marketing. They know that very few consumers will pay $300 or $400 for their Office product (Standard version or Professional version), so instead of losing those customers for regular update cycle, they come out the cheaper student-and-teacher edition.

They took out a few features that most of the users don't care about, and repackage it as the student version. Secretly, they hope that you will buy the more expensive version. However, you won't have any problem of buying it or installing the student version.

The statement above is not my invention, but from some industrial observers.

Commodus
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2004, 11:27 PM

It depends on the retailer. CompuSmart (a chain you see in Canada, not sure about the US) asked me for student ID when I bought Office 2004 just last week. And of course, they'd ask for it at the campus store too.
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

iPoder
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 1, 2004, 11:57 PM

I bought it at the local retailer, and the cashier barely looked at me, checked my credit card but not my student ID :-). I graduated from school a long time ago. Though I am taking some classes in the community college, so I am nowhere looking like a school student.
( Last edited by iPoder; Oct 2, 2004 at 12:09 AM. )

storer
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2004, 12:24 AM

Student ID was enough for me, or a letter from your school saying you were a student

discotronic
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2004, 12:51 AM

Originally posted by iPoder:

They took out a few features that most of the users don't care about, and repackage it as the student version.
I am unaware of any features in the full version that are not in the Student Teacher Edition. What features have been left out?

unregistered
Forum Regular
Oct 2, 2004, 01:05 AM

This doesn't answer the original question, but here is the official list of qualifications:

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/product...=qualifiedUser

storer
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2004, 05:28 AM

Sorry for my first post. I must have misread your post.

Parky
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2004, 06:30 AM

Originally posted by iPoder:
A simple answer: No. Microsoft has no way of checking your student status, and the retailers don't care and won't check any student ID.

This is a dirty secret of Microsoft marketing. They know that very few consumers will pay $300 or $400 for their Office product (Standard version or Professional version), so instead of losing those customers for regular update cycle, they come out the cheaper student-and-teacher edition.

They took out a few features that most of the users don't care about, and repackage it as the student version. Secretly, they hope that you will buy the more expensive version. However, you won't have any problem of buying it or installing the student version.

The statement above is not my invention, but from some industrial observers.
Actually the Student Teacher version is identical to the Full Version.

Ian
Computers - Au MacBook 2.4Ghz, iMac 24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo
iPods - 5GB original iPod, 4GB nano - Red, 1GB 2G shuffle - Silver, 4GB 3G Shuffle - Black, 16GB touch, 16GB nano Red, 16GB iPhone 3G.
OSX User Since Public Beta, current OS 10.6.1, iTS UK purchases - 5377 songs.... and growing!
My website - www.idparkinson.co.uk

storer
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2004, 07:42 AM

Originally posted by Parky:
Actually the Student Teacher version is identical to the Full Version.
I thought so too.

Parky
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2004, 07:47 AM

Originally posted by storer:
I thought so too.
Not only that, but you get three licenses as well, not one.
So you cam legally install it on three machines, you can do that with the full version.
They give you 3 separate license codes to use in the Education box.
I have it installed at home on the G5 iMac, 12" PowerBook and eMac at School (My partner is a teacher, so we are legal)

Ian
Computers - Au MacBook 2.4Ghz, iMac 24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo
iPods - 5GB original iPod, 4GB nano - Red, 1GB 2G shuffle - Silver, 4GB 3G Shuffle - Black, 16GB touch, 16GB nano Red, 16GB iPhone 3G.
OSX User Since Public Beta, current OS 10.6.1, iTS UK purchases - 5377 songs.... and growing!
My website - www.idparkinson.co.uk

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Oct 2, 2004, 08:21 AM

Originally posted by discotronic:
I am unaware of any features in the full version that are not in the Student Teacher Edition. What features have been left out?
Nope AFAIK its the same thing.

storer
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2004, 08:23 AM

Originally posted by Parky:
Not only that, but you get three licenses as well, not one.
So you cam legally install it on three machines, you can do that with the full version.
They give you 3 separate license codes to use in the Education box.
I have it installed at home on the G5 iMac, 12" PowerBook and eMac at School (My partner is a teacher, so we are legal)

Ian
even better.

iPoder
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 2, 2004, 09:56 AM

I know the Windows version of Office for student have some missing features compared to pro version, such as exporting WORD document to the XML format.

So far, I have known nothing different between the standard version and the student version on Mac side except the fact that you cannot upgrade the student version. I don't have any standard version to compare with.

I would assume Microsoft would take out some features on Mac version too, but they might keep it the same as the standard versions.

Forum Links
Forum Rules