Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > The MacBook Whine!!

The MacBook Whine!! (Page 3)
memory-minus
Senior User
Apr 2, 2006, 10:31 AM

My 17" PB had a whine, my PowerMac G5 has a whine, and my MBP has a whine. I got over it and honestly don't notice it until I start reading whiny (haha) threads like this one. It's like having a dead pixel -- eventually, you shall overcome.

kaze0
Apr 3, 2006, 01:32 PM

hi all, long time lurker, first time poster (now that i've got my MBP)

... im convinced that the much dreaded processor whine only manifests itself, using NON-INTEL programs, and that it is the programs being emulated that results in this noise. hence photobooth working fine...

anyone else have any insights in regards to my hypothesis?

mintcake
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 3, 2006, 01:59 PM

I don't think so, the whine begins the moment I pull out the Magsafe, even when I have nothing at all running except the Finder.

kaze0
Apr 5, 2006, 11:42 AM

because the whine is easily fixed by simply running the widget mirror app, does anyone foresee a software fix dealing with the whine being released? i'm tempted to send the machine to apple, but yesterday they told me that the whine had to hamper upon the performance of the machine, and if it was a result of 'normal computing', it wont be covered. i was under the impression that if the issue exists, and if something CAN fix it, it IS an issue.

any insights?

aristobrat
Forum Regular
Apr 5, 2006, 02:59 PM

Wonder if the firmware update that just came out does anything?

rhodesy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 5, 2006, 05:22 PM

I'm getting a wine from the screen if its more than half brightness and also the left speaker thing on and off...

I've had so many migrains since I got it

I still love it though will be calling apple in the next couple of days to see if they'll replace it with one of the new models

Mine starts with serial W8610

I read that they're onto W8611 now which fixes some things and W8612 will be coming soon so ill have to see!

mintcake
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 5, 2006, 05:27 PM

We're on W8613 already I believe, it simply refers to the week in which they're made (that's what I was told, anyway). If you're getting a whine from the screen then that's a fault which Apple will deal with under warranty.

rhodesy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 5, 2006, 05:30 PM

Brilliant I read it on engadget or theregister or something...

I'm getting confused by contradicting threads - can i Play CS and BF2 on the dual boot or not :S

I would much rather play games on my laptop than pc!

mintcake
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 5, 2006, 05:40 PM

If you boot into XP you should be able to play exactly the same games as you can on any other similarly-specced laptop running XP. Of course, getting games to run in Windows has always been one of the configuration challenges so beloved by users of that OS. ;p

rhodesy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 5, 2006, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by mintcake
If you boot into XP you should be able to play exactly the same games as you can on any other similarly-specced laptop running XP. Of course, getting games to run in Windows has always been one of the configuration challenges so beloved by users of that OS. ;p
I wish I could boot into xp i cant find anyone else with the same problem as me - why is it always me!

are there any x1600 256 gddr 3 benchmarks for windows games around? i presumed that the one for intel mbp's was modded a bit tho- prob wrong tho

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 5, 2006, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by rhodesy
I'm getting confused by contradicting threads - can i Play CS and BF2 on the dual boot or not :S
Yes; use Boot Camp, install Windows, boot into Windows, and it's exactly like any other Windows box.

capybara
Apr 8, 2006, 03:59 AM

Well, mine too has a terrible whine and I disagree with those of you who think its a minor issue.

The damned thing constantly whines and it pretty much makes it impossible to use it at all, which is why I am back using my PB.

Has anyone gotten a replacement or had a refund?

capybara
Apr 8, 2006, 04:15 AM

Although a long time reader I've just registered, basically to post about this whining issue.

I've pretty much read all whining related posts at this stage and am pretty surprised how many folks are brushing this under the carpet.

I've been using Macs for 22 1/2 years, starting with the original 128KB and this new MacBook is without doubt the worst I've ever had. Now, that does not mean I will turn my back on Apple, but the fact of the matter is that there is a serious problem which is annoying the hell out of me and many others and APple had better start addressing it in a constructive way rather than giving people the "there wil be a patch" cna

capybara
Apr 8, 2006, 04:17 AM

cntd.:

canard. The latest update did not help one bit, in fact the problem has been getting worse and I fear its hardware related.

Anyway, I really appreciate this site and I would ask for anyone who's talked to Apple about this to share their experiences, especially if they've been successfully helped and/or have gotten a refund.

skyman
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2006, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by tehdee
hi all, long time lurker, first time poster (now that i've got my MBP)

... im convinced that the much dreaded processor whine only manifests itself, using NON-INTEL programs, and that it is the programs being emulated that results in this noise. hence photobooth working fine...

anyone else have any insights in regards to my hypothesis?
The processor wine occurs when the processor is idle. It has nothing to do with "non intel" apps. It has nothing to do with rosetta emulation.
MacBookPro 1.83GHz - 1.5 GB RAM - OS 10.4.6

skyman
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2006, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by memory-minus
My 17" PB had a whine, my PowerMac G5 has a whine, and my MBP has a whine. I got over it and honestly don't notice it until I start reading whiny (haha) threads like this one. It's like having a dead pixel -- eventually, you shall overcome.
So, you don't mind spending $2K for a system that makes a noticeable and annoying whine?

The MBP is my 5th Apple laptop and the "first" to make any noticeable and annoying sound.
( Last edited by skyman; Apr 8, 2006 at 12:34 PM. )

capybara
Apr 8, 2006, 12:08 PM

Well, this is my 16th Mac and 9th portable overall and it is by far the worst. It is driving my absolutely nuts. Nothing like this has ever happened before.

Anyway, I am back to using my PB and will continue to do so, although I'm pretty pissed about being 2500$ out of pocket for a hearing destroying product which I cannot use.

Apple really needs to own up on this one and just replace all the whining MacBooks or give us a refund.

capybara
Apr 8, 2006, 12:11 PM

skyman,

I agree. In fact, mine whines ALL the time. Whatever I do, however many applications I run or however dim the screen is, it has no influence on the situation. The damned thing whines and it is getting worse.

aristobrat
Forum Regular
Apr 8, 2006, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by rednaxela
Anyway, I am back to using my PB and will continue to do so, although I'm pretty pissed about being 2500$ out of pocket for a hearing destroying product which I cannot use.
I'm trying hard to think of a reseller that doesn't at least give you 14 days to return a product that you're not satisified with...

memory-minus
Senior User
Apr 8, 2006, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by aristobrat
I'm trying hard to think of a reseller that doesn't at least give you 14 days to return a product that you're not satisified with...
Apple, if you custom configured it.

http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Im...eturn%20Policy

memory-minus
Senior User
Apr 8, 2006, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by skyman
So, you don't mind spending $2K for a system that makes a noticeable and annoying whine?
*shrug* I'm saying I've just gotten used to the whiny Macs I've used in the past (the PowerMac G5 I still have and yes, it still whines). It's not like I'm going to bail to Windows over it.

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2006, 06:34 PM

I have both whines. The screen whines when it's set anywhere below full brightness and the processor whines whenever the computer is on battery. I can get rid of the processor whine by launching Photo Booth but can't get rid of the screen whine.

I'm going to have to send it back I think.

skyman
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2006, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Troll
I have both whines. The screen whines when it's set anywhere below full brightness and the processor whines whenever the computer is on battery. I can get rid of the processor whine by launching Photo Booth but can't get rid of the screen whine.

I'm going to have to send it back I think.
Don't think about it, just do it.

aristobrat
Forum Regular
Apr 8, 2006, 10:47 PM

Ah, forgot about that.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2006, 11:26 PM

Just got my Macbook Pro. Wow, awful whine. Thought some of you were exaggerating. I updated to 10.4.6 and it's gone!!! Well, I upgraded the firmware too.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2006, 11:50 PM

Nevermind. High pitch f*cking whine is back. And I'm running windows XP on it.

capybara
Apr 8, 2006, 11:54 PM

aristobrat,

True enough, however its way past 14 days now since the people kept telling me to wait for 10.4.6 -- whcih hasn't made a difference whatsover.

And it's not as if I am desperate to go back to PBs, all I want is my $$$ worth, i.e. a product which is not harmful to ones hearing.

If I had wanted a computer that was going compromise my sanity I would have gone with Windows a long time ago.

capybara
Apr 8, 2006, 11:58 PM

hyteckit,

Ever since the 10.4.6 thing didn't help I've been sifting through all sorts of blogs and forums and it seems as if there is also a harddisk issue that may cause the whining.

Perhaps those of us whos MacBooks whine regardless of which programs they run or how dim their screen is, may be affected by that.

Anyway, the damned thing is going back to Apple (again).

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 9, 2006, 12:07 AM

I just rebooted back to OSX 10.4.6, whine is definitely gone. The whine exist only in windows XP, so I can deal with it. I think it might be the fan since the fan is running under windows XP, but not OSX.

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2006, 12:16 AM

hyteckit,

Ever since the 10.4.6 thing didn't help I've been sifting through all sorts of blogs and forums and it seems as if there is also a harddisk issue that may cause the whining.

Perhaps those of us whos MacBooks whine regardless of which programs they run or how dim their screen is, may be affected by that.

Anyway, the damned thing is going back to Apple (again).
I just got a Macbook a few days ago from the Apple store in New York and its absolutely quiet. I was concerned about reports of whining and heat and so I asked the salesman about it. He said Apple was aware of the problems and that all newly manufactured Macbooks no longer exhibit those issues. Maybe instead of asking for it to be fixed this time you could ask for a newer machine?

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 9, 2006, 12:19 AM

Dude, I just got my machine. It's a newer version. Anyway, after 5 mins of use, the whine is back.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 9, 2006, 12:21 AM

It sounds like the whine is what's known as inductor whine, where they make audible noise when the power flowing through them is low. I don't know of any software fix for this hardware problem, other than keeping power flow up (which is obviously bad for battery life).

capybara
Apr 9, 2006, 12:23 AM

I agree, this time round I will need to be pretty forceful about having the thing replaced altogether.

BTW, have I mentioned the thing gets really really hot? I mean can't touch it sort of hot.

micdaflip
Apr 9, 2006, 02:12 AM

Speaking of whine - I'm on my third glass of merlot and it's 2AM.

I finished installing Windows XP on my MBP this morning without any hitch - yes I know this topic doesn't belong here but read on. So far so good using Apple's Boot Camp Beta. I've literally resurrected my old ACER TravelMate 8104WLMi's spirit into my new MacBook Pro. Same programs, same everything with the exception of ACER's propriertary programs - and it's stable! Sick it's just sick!!!

With that said, I've also noticed that the SPDIF I/O turns on - red light on - unlike in OS X (I don't know why it doesn't run in OS X) and that the notorious MacBook Pro wine is completely gone. This leads me to the conclusion that the the WHINE is caused by the OS and not the hardware as what many people think. My MBP is surprisingly ultra silent - except for the cooling fans running but that's only minor.

So try installing WINXP on your MBP, and post your results here. I'm interested to see if its not just me.

mintcake
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 9, 2006, 09:08 AM

micdaflip, I also noticed that red light coming on, but for some reason I couldn't get the line out to work (at least, not to headphones). Must fiddle some more...

I have to say, after a couple of weeks of the Macbook Pro, the processor whine doesn't really bother me any more, but what does bother the hell out of me is the 'mooing' that I get whenever the processor is ramping up and the fan tries (and fails) to come on.

Heatwise, it seems hotter than it did initially, but watching Activity Monitor I notice that sometimes one of the processor cores maxes out completely in Safari. That's when the 'too hot to touch' heat is produced. Quit Safari, everything goes back to acceptable.

skyman
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2006, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by mintcake
Heatwise, it seems hotter than it did initially, but watching Activity Monitor I notice that sometimes one of the processor cores maxes out completely in Safari. That's when the 'too hot to touch' heat is produced. Quit Safari, everything goes back to acceptable.
You should switch to FireFox. Renders pages faster than Safari and uses less processes.

capybara
Apr 9, 2006, 10:18 AM

micdaflip,

Yes, Safari is terrible for heat. What I can't figure is why Apple isn't able to produce a proper browser, i.e. never mind the heat, a browser that remembers its history for more than 1 week would make for a good start.

Can't wait for Universal Mozilla, that is IF Apple can sort out my whining and fry-an-egg heat issues.

skyman
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2006, 10:21 AM

Can't wait for Universal Mozilla, that is IF Apple can sort out my whining and fry-an-egg heat issues.
You don't have to wait, use Firefox.

micdaflip
Apr 9, 2006, 12:05 PM

Well, I have noticed that my MBP runs hotter than usual under WINXP. Although I still find it quite interesting how there is no whiney sound while using XP. Hmmm. I know there are a few input devices that don't run on under XP, so perhaps it is one of those devices that causes the whine in OS X. Hmmm...

Has anybody upgraded there RAM with aftermarket RAM and noticed any difference with their whiney MBP? I've read on a forum that a gentlemen upgraded his MBP's RAM and the whine disappeared. Hmmm...

Hmmm...

aristobrat
Forum Regular
Apr 9, 2006, 12:10 PM

Hmmm. If the mirror widget in OS X stops the whine, and the iSight doesn't work in XP, I wonder if the iSight has anything to do with it?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Apr 12, 2006, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by kristian21
I don`t know if anyone knows of this but it`s the best solution for the CPU whining.

http://www.red-sweater.com/blog/down...oiseKiller.zip

Just download and run. It will run and close right away and the noise is gone. Set it up so that it starts everytime your mac starts and you won`t ever hear the noise and the program is not using your cpu either.
It doesn't work.

2.16 GHz, S/N W8613...

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 12, 2006, 09:58 PM

I realize I have the LCD whine. Finally found out what my laptop's disease was. Once the LCD brighter is pass the half way point, I can start hearing the high pitch noise. It gets louder as the LCD gets brighter. Guess there is no cure for the disease.

aristobrat
Forum Regular
Apr 12, 2006, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by hyteckit
I realize I have the LCD whine. Finally found out what my laptop's disease was. Once the LCD brighter is pass the half way point, I can start hearing the high pitch noise. It gets louder as the LCD gets brighter. Guess there is no cure for the disease.
Which week is your MBP from?

Barefoot Matt
Forum Regular
Apr 12, 2006, 11:18 PM

Note to users with a brightness-related whine: if your whine is related to screen brightness, it's caused by a faulty inverter that Apple WILL REPLACE under warranty. We're stuck with the processor whine for now, but if previous posters are to be believed, Apple admits that the screen whine is not supposed to be there and are willing to do something about it.
iPod nano 3G 16GB
MacBook Pro 1.83 / 100 GB 5400 RPM / 1.5 GB

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 12, 2006, 11:48 PM

W8612, so week 12. I'm going to return it back to Amazon.

skyman
Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2006, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Barefoot Matt
Note to users with a brightness-related whine: if your whine is related to screen brightness, it's caused by a faulty inverter that Apple WILL REPLACE under warranty. We're stuck with the processor whine for now, but if previous posters are to be believed, Apple admits that the screen whine is not supposed to be there and are willing to do something about it.
That is not correct according to Apple.

I sent my MBP (week 12 build) in a week ago for the processor whine. I received a call from the executive office. They are "capturing" my MBP for engineering to dissect.

They are sending me a new MBP and they told me the new ones do not have the processor whine. I can not confirm this until I get the new unit.

Will update.

a2daj
Mac Elite
Apr 16, 2006, 05:13 PM

The processor whine is really noticeable when speakers are plugged in as the sound comes out of the speakers. I never noticed the whine before because I have a G5 sitting in the same room but once I plugged my MBP into the same speakers I could hear the whine. As others have mentioned, turning a processor off makes the noise go away. I ran the machine in XP and I didn't hear the whine from my external speakers.

loren s
Senior User
Apr 17, 2006, 11:35 AM

ARRRGGGGG it sucks..... ok I installed mirror widget and it gets rid of it... But now when peeps try and call me with ichat video it blocks them untill I turn off miror again....

Please tell me theres another hack to fix this

sibellc
Apr 17, 2006, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by loren s
ARRRGGGGG it sucks..... ok I installed mirror widget and it gets rid of it... But now when peeps try and call me with ichat video it blocks them untill I turn off miror again....

Please tell me theres another hack to fix this
You don't need to keep it open. Just close it right after it accesses the camera.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 18, 2006, 02:30 AM

So do I get this right? Basically there are two types of whines. One's display related (DC inverter board), i.e. it depends on the brightness setting of the built-in LCD and it gets repaired by Apple by fixing/exchanging some hardware. The other's CPU related (idle CPU) and starts when running the MBP off battery regardless of the LCD brightness.

If that's correct, my MBP/2.0/2.0/100-7200/256 has the CPU whine. I managed to get rid of it by using MagicNoiseKiller. It works until you reboot or wake the MBP. Then you just re-run it and all's fine. Can anybody confirm it has no significant battery tax? And if this really works, what's not in favor of Apple just putting the 'hack' in the next OS update? That would definitely be a lot cheaper and easier than swapping hardware components.

Forum Links
Forum Rules