Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > tcpwrappers

tcpwrappers
zeller
Sep 19, 2002, 11:45 AM

Hi all,

Does OS X support tcpwrappers? I would feel more secure with a nicely configures set of /etc/hosts.deny and hosts.allow files.

tia,

Ben

fortepianissimo
Senior User
Nov 16, 2002, 03:53 PM

I don't have an answer (I'm a newbie). Just want to revive this thread - so if you know how to make hosts.deny hosts.allow work in os x, or you know what's the equivalent in os x, just reply away. Thanks.

Gary Finley
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 22, 2002, 06:43 PM

Tcpd is not only supported in OS X, but installed by default. You can see this by looking inside /etc/inetd.conf. The standard services like ftp, telnet etc, normally loaded by inetd itself, are hidden behind /usr/libexec/tcpd. Remove the comment mark (#) from any service that you want to enable. Note that you have to signal the inetd daemon with SIGHUP to make it notice changes to inetd.conf. See 'man inetd' for details. Alternately, you can just reboot.

Here's a sample /etc/hosts.allow file:

# Allow hosts 123.456.789.102 and 123.543.654.876 all services
# (ie all services not commented out in inetd.conf)
ALL: 123.456.789.102 123.543.654.876: allow
# Deny access to all others
ALL: ALL: deny
Gary Finley
Director of Networking
Netera Alliance Inc.

fortepianissimo
Senior User
Nov 22, 2002, 11:50 PM

hm... I didn't notice inetd was even started, cus I saw /etc/xinetd* and assumed OS X already switched to xinetd. So why is it the case that inetd is still used instead of xinetd?

Forum Links
Forum Rules