Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > strange but true, jaguar install situation

strange but true, jaguar install situation
marnie
Forum Regular
Sep 22, 2002, 10:26 AM

So we bought the family pack. I'm out of the country for four months, but want to install it on my computer (it will make me the 4th computer). Nobody's really interested in the possiblity of losing the discs in the mail, so I was sent the image files, and CD1 is too large to burn? I'm pretty much SOL, aren't i?

zeller
Sep 22, 2002, 12:02 PM

Hello,

One is never SOL. One is just propelled towards more creative solutions.

Can you mount the image and install from there? Does it actually need to be in a CD drive? Or maybe you could find a friend with a DVD-R and burn a DVD install disc? Can you mount the image, copy it to a read/writable partition, delete unneeded data, and then burn the smaller install image?

I've not installed Jaguar, so these are just guesses.

Ben

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Sep 22, 2002, 12:05 PM

(apparently, i can't read.)

-r.

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2002, 01:31 PM

Is the CD too large to burn on a regular 650MB CDR? How about trying a 700MB disc?

Cipher13
Sep 22, 2002, 09:38 PM

Originally posted by SupahCoolX:
Is the CD too large to burn on a regular 650MB CDR? How about trying a 700MB disc?
That'd be my first guess... my second would be to use Toast, not Disc Burner... or are you already?

marnie  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 23, 2002, 08:45 PM

Originally posted by Cipher13:

That'd be my first guess... my second would be to use Toast, not Disc Burner... or are you already?
The wierd thing is that mounted, the image says it's 648MB, but when I try to burn toast says it's 708 MB and Disc copy just plain says it's too big (no specifics). I repartitioned my drive and made a 708 MB partition (or close to it) and duplicated the image using retropsect (so as not to lose any hidden OS X-ish things) and when I startup from that volume, I get the Jaguar dark apple screen, but then it shifts and starts from my regular OS X 10.1.5 partition.

I've tried mounting the image and making a NEW image from that, to see if something changes and it doesn't. It's a mystery.

marnie  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 23, 2002, 08:48 PM

Originally posted by zeller:
...Can you mount the image and install from there? Does it actually need to be in a CD drive? Or maybe you could find a friend with a DVD-R and burn a DVD install disc? Can you mount the image, copy it to a read/writable partition, delete unneeded data, and then burn the smaller install image?...
can't install from a mounted drive, the installer wants to restart into the install program. My poor little cube (my travel-happy computer) doesn't have DVD, it's a CD-RW. Tried copying to patition, it starts to work and then doesn't.

jules
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 23, 2002, 09:51 PM

You're not mounting the image before you try to burn it are you? You musn't mount it...just burn the image.

marnie  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 24, 2002, 09:15 AM

Originally posted by jules:
You're not mounting the image before you try to burn it are you? You musn't mount it...just burn the image.
I tried not mounting first, then mounting. no difference

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2002, 09:42 AM

You'll have to do it with Toast, for some reason Disc Burner doesn't offer you the full capacity.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

Gul Banana
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2002, 11:33 AM

Originally posted by marnie:

I tried not mounting first, then mounting. no difference
That is not the point; if you ever mount a bootable image then that image will never be bootable again. Ie, if you've mounted it, and you DO manage to burn it (which you can do with Toast), you won't be able to boot from it. Sorry.
[vash:~] banana% killall killall
Terminated

marnie  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 24, 2002, 11:47 AM

Originally posted by Gul Banana:

That is not the point; if you ever mount a bootable image then that image will never be bootable again. Ie, if you've mounted it, and you DO manage to burn it (which you can do with Toast), you won't be able to boot from it. Sorry.
so you're saying if I *never* mount the image it will fit on the CD? i can certainly have them send me a new copy and try again.

Gul Banana
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2002, 11:54 AM

Not fit, boot - this is not, alas, a solution to your fitting problems, but you definitely need a new, never-mounted copy of the image or even when you get it burned you're going to end up rather frustrated.
[vash:~] banana% killall killall
Terminated

Forum Links
Forum Rules