Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Pismo RAM

Pismo RAM
zeller
Dec 11, 2002, 12:05 AM

Hi all,

I know this question has been asked before, but I can't find a satisfying answer in the archives.

I'm looking at upgrading RAM for my Pismo to 1 gig (I've got 384 right now and have lots of disk swaps). I am considering different vendors and manufacturers. There is a huge price difference on 512MB chips between Crucial and generic RAM ($140 vs. $55), and I can get Kingston for $77 off buy.com. I can't imagine the Crucial would be worth it. Oh yes, and I am a poor graduate student. Here are my concerns, from most important to least:

1) it has to be good RAM - no kernel panics
2) the less energy consumed, the better (I'm concerned about battery life)
3) faster = better

Which vendors/manufacturers do people recommend, given the above? Is Kingston as good as Crucial? Are there other brands to consider? What should I look for in RAM. Is CL2 that much faster than CL3? PC133 vs PC100? parity vs. non-parity? I really wish there were a FAQ somewhere...

Oh yeah, and I have read on this board that the pismo takes either high or low profile chips in both slots - is that right? When I installed a low profile chip in the bottom slot it seemed pretty tight.

What else am I forgetting to ask?

Ben

PeteWK
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 11, 2002, 05:11 AM

Hmm, OK, I'll give it a shot.

I have both a DVI G4 and a Pismo G3 and both have 1 gig of ram. The Pismo has entry level stuff from OWC. It's been flawless since the day I got them both. I think they were something like 150 dollars when I got them. They're currently going for 59.95. That's just sickening. Good for you, though.

My DVI has the high end Kingston chips in it. They sell for 180. But they're low profile and you don't need that at all. The cheaper Kingston is lower end memory. If you're going to do that, go with the no-name stuff. That's what the Kingston budget line is anyway, just rebadged memory.

OWC has always been good to me and I've purchased a bunch of stuff from them over the last couple of years.

In short: OWC, High Profile, 60 bucks each. (OWC is eshop.macsales.com)

PeteWK

schwank
Dec 11, 2002, 09:03 AM

I got mine from 1-800-4memory at
http://www.ramseeker.com/scripts/modelDetails.php

it was the cheapest at the time (200 for a 256) it did go bad on me once, then they sent me another one that registered as a 128, but now its been woking for over a year without a problem.... I guess the moral of the story is as long as it has the lifetime warranty who cares!

P.S it was faster stuff than shipped with apple, and worked fine on osx

josntme
Forum Regular
Dec 11, 2002, 02:43 PM

Ditto to PeteWK on the OWC ram.

I've been running their memory for years and haven't had one problem.

Just Yesterday, I installed 512 in my Pismo.
You do not really understand something unless you can explain
it to your grandmother."
- Albert Einstein

zeller  (op)
Dec 11, 2002, 09:52 PM

Cool, thanks! I'll probably order the OWC RAM when I get home tonight.

Ben

Bluebomber21XX
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 13, 2002, 02:36 AM

I'll third the vote for OWC RAM. I have a 512 module that has been great.
The online resource for Rockman & Forte!
http://www.bluebomber.com/

PeteWK
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 13, 2002, 06:36 AM

Originally posted by schwank:
I got mine from 1-800-4memory at
http://www.ramseeker.com/scripts/modelDetails.php

it was the cheapest at the time (200 for a 256) it did go bad on me once, then they sent me another one that registered as a 128, but now its been woking for over a year without a problem.... I guess the moral of the story is as long as it has the lifetime warranty who cares!

P.S it was faster stuff than shipped with apple, and worked fine on osx
Dude, am I the only one who doesn't think that's a ringing endorsement for Ramseeker.com?

PeteWK

schwank
Dec 13, 2002, 11:10 AM

Heh heh heh well, ramseaker is just a site that lists prices to a bunch of places... 1800 4 memory was the company I purchased the ram through. There was a problem with the ram chip after a year, but they took care of it with out a problem (I did have to pay shipping I think). I would probably buy from them again, mistakes happen, at least they responded quickly and fixed the problem.

FulcrumPilot
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2002, 10:30 AM

512 mb kingston valueram worked for me on the lower slot. no problem so far. here is my original post:

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...threadid=61936
_,.
a solitary firefly flies at nite
into the darkness an endless flight
a million flashes of delight.

Forum Links
Forum Rules