Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > swap partitions

swap partitions
zeller
Nov 28, 2003, 05:02 PM

Howdy,

Does anyone have any conclusive evidence that having a seperate swap partition on the same hard drive speeds up OS X? I have yet to see any benchmarking (yes, I've searched the archives here).

How about journaling - anyone have benchmarks on how journaling affects swapping performance?

I ask because I currently have the 40 gig HD on my Jaguar-running powerbook set up with two partitions: swap and data. I'm going to go to Panther, and this would be a good time to recover that extra gig of drive space if it is not actually doing anything.

I am aware that theoretically, the seperate partition means that my swap file won't get fragmented, but I have a hard time imagining that this really affects performance in any meaningful way.

Anyone have any words of wisdom to share?

Ben

octane
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 28, 2003, 05:10 PM

I'd put the swap space on a different HD, rather than a separate partition, you'll notice a difference then, especially in programs such as Photoshop.

Journaling can speed up a few tasks, and someone over at Macosxhints had a link to a page that benchmarked it. Journaling on will also allow OS X to use the defragmentation tool, but only for files under 20MB, I think.
George Orwell wrote "1984" as a warning; the Bush administration uses it as an instruction manual.

zeller  (op)
Nov 28, 2003, 05:44 PM

Can't use a separate HD - it's in a powerbook.

octane
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 28, 2003, 06:03 PM

Originally posted by zeller:
Can't use a separate HD - it's in a powerbook.

Ah... I've got a similar setup to you. My PB has a 40GB HD and I initially thought I'd partition it, but I remember from before that it just made things a little complicated when I ran into a wall with space on one of the partitions. I'd leave it unpartitioned, personally, and make use of the space you'd be dedicating to the swap.
George Orwell wrote "1984" as a warning; the Bush administration uses it as an instruction manual.

Forum Links
Forum Rules