Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The Masters

The Masters
Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 8, 2007, 02:32 PM

I'm not sure how many people in these threads keep up with the PGA Tour, but going into this final round, I've got Masters fever all over again. I was watching when Phil rolled in for his first major, when Tiger earned his green jacket in '97, and every year spent watching seems to make The Masters more special for me.

I'm pulling for Appleby today, but good sense dictates that Tiger will make his final round charge once again and claim his 5th Masters title. Anyone else care?

finboy
Apr 8, 2007, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
I'm not sure how many people in these threads keep up with the PGA Tour, but going into this final round, I've got Masters fever all over again. I was watching when Phil rolled in for his first major, when Tiger earned his green jacket in '97, and every year spent watching seems to make The Masters more special for me.

I'm pulling for Appleby today, but good sense dictates that Tiger will make his final round charge once again and claim his 5th Masters title. Anyone else care?
We've been watching, but don't know what to expect really.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2007, 03:18 PM

Watching now and pulling for Tiger to pull it off. With the conditions today, I expect him to finish under par overall. However, he's having trouble hitting the fairway today (not that that is unusual).

Rumor
Apr 8, 2007, 05:11 PM

Here I thought this thread was about He-Man.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2007, 05:27 PM

contemplated making a thread about this. Watch most golf series, interesting series this one.
(tiger just got a beautiful eagle...)
Awards to Goosen for best shot of the series,
x to best putt of the series (and man there were some stinkers!)
Woods to worst putt of the series (missing a 3' put!)
Woods to "oops i broke my club"!

really enjoying it, looking forward to playing golf after easter.
Inspired me to buy this:

mm stiff graphite
we don't have time to stop for gas

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2007, 05:28 PM

oh and go go rose! do it for the brits!

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 8, 2007, 10:41 PM

Zach Johnson...

After he fell away a bit yesterday, I didn't know if he'd stick around considering his lack of majors experience, but I'm actually pretty happy about him winning. Seems like a really good guy.

I still can't believe Tiger couldn't put it away. This is a chink from his armor, perhaps?

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 8, 2007, 10:49 PM

To celebrate The Masters winner, Zach Johnson...

Jawbone golfing.

macroy
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2007, 10:51 PM

Zach Johnson...

After he fell away a bit yesterday, I didn't know if he'd stick around considering his lack of majors experience, but I'm actually pretty happy about him winning. Seems like a really good guy.

I still can't believe Tiger couldn't put it away. This is a chink from his armor, perhaps?
I find it funny how every time he doesn't finish first.. folks get all over him. The man still tied for 2nd place. I know he has raised the bar and all.. but c'mon. It just wasn't his day. You could tell he hasn't played well all week (and still finished near top)... And now that AN actually has rough, it just makes it that much harder to stick those greens when you don't find the fairway.

Johnson played really well today. Way to remain tough after a bad 3 putt on Friday. And you have to love it when doughboy Mickelson stumbles (not a fan of his...obviously).

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 8, 2007, 11:10 PM

It's true that people have set an impossibly high standard for Tiger, but his record in the past on Sundays has made that standard reasonable, for the most part. People aren't getting all over Tiger; they're just shocked that he finally didn't leave everyone in his wake with a miraculous final round performance.

He's a victim of his own success.

macroy
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2007, 11:19 PM

Well.. maybe not "getting all over" him. But at one point in the telecast, I heard one of the commentators say something about how he must be not feeling well or sick or something... Yea - he's not playing well.. so it must be something other than just him not executing the shots.. pleeeze. The media hype is one reason why folks are sick of him..... not his fault mind you.. but the media has just gone WAY overboard in worshiping him.

And actually - he's never won a major when not leading after 54 holes... so in essence, it should have been less shocking that he didn't win.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Apr 8, 2007, 11:24 PM

I find the fact that people watch golf on television extremely strange.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 9, 2007, 05:46 AM

Don't forget Rose, he played some stunning shots too.
I think Woods was just having a bad week, he didn't exactly play poorly, merely average. 2nd is pretty decent!

Whens the next golfing tour?

macroy
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2007, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by Peter View Post
Whens the next golfing tour?
Next event? Harbour Town. Whatever the sponsor is this year... Verizon?
But the next "REAL" event is the Players Championship in early May.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 9, 2007, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by centerchannel68 View Post
I find the fact that people watch golf on television extremely strange.
I used to also. I guess you need the golfing bug to bite you in order to start enjoying it.

studgrade
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 9, 2007, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by macroy View Post
The media hype is one reason why folks are sick of him..... not his fault mind you.. but the media has just gone WAY overboard in worshiping him.
Well, I was rooting for anybody to win except Tiger. The media coverage about Woods on the Golfchannel this week was really sickening. And I'm not the only one. All my golfer friends thinks the same. The worst he plays, the happier we are......

Stud out....

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Apr 9, 2007, 08:53 AM

Phil will win at Oakmont (provided he plays with no drivers instead of two drivers)

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Apr 9, 2007, 09:00 AM

I find it funny how so many people dislike Tiger simply because of his success. We are watching arguably the greatest golfer ever. 12 MAJORS in about 11 years? He's already over halfway to the record. His vision and execution of shots is second to none. Every tournament he plays you EXPECT him to win. Why? Because he is that good and that much better than the rest of the field.

There are arguably two reasons he didn't pull it off yesterday:
1) whatever the hell that shot was on the par 5 15th that ended up in the water (yet he still pulls off a 5)and
2) missing the birdie attempt on 16.

I'm sure there were other places he missed birdie attempts, etc. but these two instances really stood out to me. As bad as everyone else was playing, I really expected Tiger to pull it off.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 9, 2007, 09:23 AM

I was actually interested enough to watch it this year, but I fell asleep at some point after Tiger screwed up because I had a late night. That one long curving putt was crazy. My brother says that's a result of backspin. The guy who won it looked like a nice enough guy.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

macroy
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2007, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa View Post
I find it funny how so many people dislike Tiger simply because of his success. We are watching arguably the greatest golfer ever. 12 MAJORS in about 11 years? He's already over halfway to the record. His vision and execution of shots is second to none. Every tournament he plays you EXPECT him to win. Why? Because he is that good and that much better than the rest of the field.

There are arguably two reasons he didn't pull it off yesterday:
1) whatever the hell that shot was on the par 5 15th that ended up in the water (yet he still pulls off a 5)and
2) missing the birdie attempt on 16.

I'm sure there were other places he missed birdie attempts, etc. but these two instances really stood out to me. As bad as everyone else was playing, I really expected Tiger to pull it off.
I don't "dislike" him. But I definitely don't root for him. I think its more of the "root for the underdog" thing (although I was all MJ when he was king of sports). I am however, sick of the media frenzy that surrounds him - and as I mentioned before, that isn't his fault per se... I'm sure he's sick of it too. So in essence, when they even mention his name.. I get a bit annoyed.

But you are absolutely correct - he is probably the greatest golfer (and arguably one of the greatest athletes) ever.. which will only be "officially" recognized when he surpasses Jack's 18 majors. BUT - that doesn't make it any less annoying to me when some dude comes up to me 'cause I'm wearing a Titleist cap and go "how 'bout that Tiger?". Or the fact that my rounds have gotten longer 'cause idiots who never played golf decided to come on the course after watching him.....

Also - just to be a wise a$$ ... not losing a shot on a par 5 after dumping one within 120 yds of the green isn't that spectacular... especially on the tour. But you are correct, he needed to pick up a shot or two there. And he also f'd up on the 17th when he found the beach from an ideal position.

And of course, with his talent - I'm sure even Johnson didn't relax until Woods put his ball on the green on the 18th.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 9, 2007, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by macroy View Post
BUT - that doesn't make it any less annoying to me when some dude comes up to me 'cause I'm wearing a Titleist cap and go "how 'bout that Tiger?". Or the fact that my rounds have gotten longer 'cause idiots who never played golf decided to come on the course after watching him.....
Exactly.

The extra attention that Tiger Woods has brought to golf has had both positive and negative effects.

Positive:
1. More money in golf, which is better for the players. Purses have gotten huge.
2. More TV coverage.
3. More people are interested in golf.

Negative:
1. Many people think Tiger IS golf and that it couldn't exist without him.
2. Too many people are interested in golf, especially the types that are used to sports where you taunt opponents and "bending the rules" is acceptable. People who started golfing after Tiger came around are sometimes ignorant concerning golf etiquette, which is part of what makes golf so enjoyable.
3. Players like Phil Mickelson and Ernie Els would be considered great in any other golfing generation, but now have to live with "not as good as Tiger" reputations.

I don't hate Tiger, but I love it when someone pulls off an upset at his expense.
( Last edited by Jawbone54; Apr 9, 2007 at 12:31 PM. )

finboy
Apr 9, 2007, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa View Post
I find it funny how so many people dislike Tiger simply because of his success.
It's strange, but Tiger's only the latest example. Maybe it's worse for him because he's so much better than everyone else. I find it satisfying to hear the Arnies of the world talking about how Tiger is a whole different golf game by himself.

Good for Tiger.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 22, 2007, 04:09 PM

Can't believe Garcia didn't win The Open

macroy
Mac Elite
Jul 22, 2007, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Peter View Post
Can't believe Garcia didn't win The Open
You could almost tell he had nothing left in the tank after that miss on 18. He just basically deflated.. and it showed on the 1st playoff hole. Nonetheless, you have to give it to Harrington for bouncing back after two "Van de Veld" like shots.....

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jul 23, 2007, 01:02 AM

I'm very happy for Padraig. It's good to see an Irishman win the Open Championship for the first time in 60 years. Garcia has proven to be a bit of a whiner for several years, and Padraig seems to be a much worthier champion.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2007, 04:06 PM

I don't know if the other channels picked up on this, but the BBC caught this during the end credits, showing Harrington celebrating and showing the trophy to his son.

His son looks at the trophy and asks "Dad, can we put ladybirds in it?" and the reply is "We can indeed. We’ll put ladybirds in it." . Really sweet father/son moment in the middle of all the hoo-hah.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2007, 04:25 PM

yeah i saw that.
I thought it was staged. :/

Still wish Garcia had won Poor guy

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 23, 2007, 05:01 PM

I'm a master.

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2007, 05:12 PM

bater - ho!

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 23, 2007, 05:41 PM

You're a ho Ghoser777, if that is your real name. Or, should I call you Ghoser888 just to mock you?

That was uncalled for. I think you owe me an apology.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jul 23, 2007, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
I'm a master.
Wrong thread.
Of course, you can't go back there...

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 23, 2007, 05:59 PM

Wrong thread.
Of course, you can't go back there...

That fine thread was locked, even though the Doofy birthday thread wasn't. I think some forces that be here are racist against me.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jul 23, 2007, 06:14 PM

We ARE racist against you. We are the master race. We shall prevail.

Now if we could just figure out what peculiar race we belong to...

Atomic Rooster
Jul 23, 2007, 06:49 PM

"The Masterss"

Damn! I thouht it said 'the matress' and of course things that people do on them.

as2
Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2007, 10:04 PM

I thought after Harrington had put the ball into the Barry Burn twice on the 18th it was going to be all over, but pleased he managed to bounce back from it and win.
[img=http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/1300/desktj.jpg]

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Jul 24, 2007, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
You're a ho Ghoser777, if that is your real name. Or, should I call you Ghoser888 just to mock you?

That was uncalled for. I think you owe me an apology.
Eh, sorry if you took it personally. I was on the debate team in high school, so I got that joke a lot. No hard feelings. Just thought it was an easy set up.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 25, 2007, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by Ghoser777 View Post
Eh, sorry if you took it personally. I was on the debate team in high school, so I got that joke a lot. No hard feelings. Just thought it was an easy set up.
You are forgiven Ghoser. Please tell us about your high school debate team. What was that like? Was there a lot of sexual tension? What were debates like? I've never seen a high school debate team yet, but the thought is kind of making me horny.

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Jul 25, 2007, 12:35 AM

Uh... not that much to tell. There was a lot of hooking up at summer debate camps from what I can tell, though I guess I missed out on all that fun. I heard plenty of stories of drug use, drinking, etc.

Forum Links
Forum Rules