Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > How fast is your Mac workstation configuration? Photoshop Speed Test

How fast is your Mac workstation configuration? Photoshop Speed Test (Page 5)
Faust
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 10, 2007, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by ninahagen View Post
The RAM configuration & placement might explain it. I heard from many sources that 2 x 2GB modules are faster than a 4 x 1GB. I wonder if that holds for the 512s as well. Also, one of the senior techies or moderators could comment about your placement of the modules. Which chip do you have in which positions in the risers? It would be neat to see if optimizing the positioning made any difference.

Also, what did you think about my suggestion you add two small Raptors as system and scratch disks?

Best,

nina
Hello Nina,

I do not use 2GB memory sticks. I use single memory sticks. 4 single 512 and 2 single 1GB memory sticks. I plan on upgrading and getting another 2 memory sticks with 2GB per stick to have a total of 8 GB on my system.

What are raptors?

To your other question, yes, I do a lot of graphic design work on a daily basis.

ninahagen  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 10, 2007, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by Faust View Post
Hello Nina,
I do not use 2GB memory sticks. I use single memory sticks. 4 single 512 and 2 single 1GB memory sticks. I plan on upgrading and getting another 2 memory sticks with 2GB per stick to have a total of 8 GB on my system.
There is an optimum order to placing the sticks in the riser, though I don't know exactly what it is. I will post another thread on this, and ask more experienced members what is best... I am interested to know this too.

[/QUOTE]What are raptors?[/QUOTE]

They are hard drives manufactured by Western Digital.

WD Raptor 150 GB SATA Hard Drives ( WD1500ADFD )

They run at 10k rpm, compatible with Mac Pro and cost about $200 apiece for the biggest model (160GB). Word is that at the moment they are the fastest drives for Mac Pros, not only in terms of rpm, but also interms of access speed.

[/QUOTE]To your other question, yes, I do a lot of graphic design work on a daily basis.[/QUOTE]

So, for graphic design work, you need speed. If you are spending all that money on RAM to max out your system, you might consider a Raptor for your system/software disc, & another for your scratch disc. If you want to go all out for your file storage discs, the Mac Pro will take 4 more HDs, 2 in the remaining bays and 2 external via this harness:

NewerTech� eSATA Extender Cable

You can run those for individually, or in any number of RAID arrays (hardware or software RAID). The most hardcore is RAID 0, but you would have to back that up daily to a Superduper, because there is no redundancy, ie disaster... if any of the storage discs in in the array fail, all of them lose their data. It just seems like you enjoy speed, need it, and have the money, so why not?

nina
( Last edited by ninahagen; Jul 10, 2007 at 02:24 PM. )

NobleMatt
formerly crazyreaper
Senior User
Jul 10, 2007, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by JustinHorne View Post
Haha, true, it was a nice boost... At first apps didn't seem much faster, now I'm noticing it more.. Absolutely no slowdown while compressing a dvd, etc...

And yeah, 40% is god, I guess I'm just always looking for more... Still, it's pretty impressive for this rather cheap notebook...

I got the ram (2 1 GB cards) for 85 shipped, and have a $30 mail in rebate, so a very good deal overall.
Yes, my machine can take 3gb, it just wasn't quite worth it to me to spring for the extra. Overall, I guess I'm more satisied now that I was earlier...
well for a starts thats no good cause i already have both (2) ram slots full (1 GB in each) so 2 x 1GB is no advance. plus isnt that for the macbooks? i have an imac and im also from UK so would need a UK retailer (even more exspencive)

Thanks Though

ninahagen  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 10, 2007, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by crazyreaper View Post
well for a starts thats no good cause i already have both (2) ram slots full (1 GB in each) so 2 x 1GB is no advance. plus isnt that for the macbooks? i have an imac and im also from UK so would need a UK retailer (even more exspencive)

Thanks Though
Yes, but I thought some of the imacs could take one 2GB chip + one 1 GB chip, total 3GB. It would make you lots faster. PS works poorly with 1GB, pretty well with 2GB and very well with 3GB. The times for this test on MacBooks and iMacs are very roughly 5~8 minutes with 1GB, 2~5 minutes with 2GB, and 50 sec ~ 1 1/2 minutes or so with 3GB. It makes a huge difference.
( Last edited by ninahagen; Jul 10, 2007 at 10:57 AM. )

ninahagen  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 10, 2007, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by JustinHorne View Post
Haha, true, it was a nice boost... At first apps didn't seem much faster, now I'm noticing it more.. Absolutely no slowdown while compressing a dvd, etc...

And yeah, 40% is god, I guess I'm just always looking for more... Still, it's pretty impressive for this rather cheap notebook...

I got the ram (2 1 GB cards) for 85 shipped, and have a $30 mail in rebate, so a very good deal overall.
Yes, my machine can take 3gb, it just wasn't quite worth it to me to spring for the extra. Overall, I guess I'm more satisied now that I was earlier...
Great, for $55 bucks you improved your machine by a generation. Good going!

Faust
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 10, 2007, 02:36 PM

There is an optimum order to placing the sticks in the riser, though I don't know exactly what it is. I will post another thread on this, and ask more experienced members what is best... I am interested to know this too.

They are hard drives manufactured by Western Digital.

WD Raptor 150 GB SATA Hard Drives ( WD1500ADFD )

They run at 10k rpm, compatible with Mac Pro and cost about $200 apiece for the biggest model (160GB). Word is that at the moment they are the fastest drives for Mac Pros, not only in terms of rpm, but also interms of access speed.

To your other question, yes, I do a lot of graphic design work on a daily basis.

So, for graphic design work, you need speed. If you are spending all that money on RAM to max out your system, you might consider a Raptor for your system/software disc, & another for your scratch disc. If you want to go all out for your file storage discs, the Mac Pro will take 4 more HDs, 2 in the remaining bays and 2 external via this harness:

NewerTech� eSATA Extender Cable

You can run those for individually, or in any number of RAID arrays (hardware or software RAID). The most hardcore is RAID 0, but you would have to back that up daily to a Superduper, because there is no redundancy, ie disaster... if any of the storage discs in in the array fail, all of them lose their data. It just seems like you enjoy speed, need it, and have the money, so why not?

nina
Hello Nina,

I have never given it much thought so far as my System is pretty new. I replaced my old G5 with it. I am going to be purchasing another Mac Pro (probably 8 core) sometime soon but for the next two or three months, this one will do. A Mac Pro 8 core here in Germany costs around $700 more than an identical system bought in the US, so I will want to make sure that a 4-core maxed out is not a good alternative for a second system as opposed to the 8-core. I have to read up on that.
This is a very informative post, Nina. I would like to maximise my system (more RAM, more HD drives) so the above is very good information for me.

Just to clarify (not sure if it means anything): My system is a BTO so I assume the shop did know what they were doing when configuring the RAM. I do not even know why they did it that way as I simply said I want 4 GIGs of RAM and that is what they came up with for optimum speed. Whether or not it has any relevance I would not know but I do know that it works wonderfully.

ninahagen  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 10, 2007, 02:49 PM

Hello Nina,

I have never given it much thought so far as my System is pretty new. I replaced my old G5 with it. I am going to be purchasing another Mac Pro (probably 8 core) sometime soon but for the next two or three months, this one will do. A Mac Pro 8 core here in Germany costs around $700 more than an identical system bought in the US, so I will want to make sure that a 4-core maxed out is not a good alternative for a second system as opposed to the 8-core. I have to read up on that.
This is a very informative post, Nina. I would like to maximise my system (more RAM, more HD drives) so the above is very good information for me.

Just to clarify (not sure if it means anything): My system is a BTO so I assume the shop did know what they were doing when configuring the RAM. I do not even know why they did it that way as I simply said I want 4 GIGs of RAM and that is what they came up with for optimum speed. Whether or not it has any relevance I would not know but I do know that it works wonderfully.
You absolutely should not buy an 8-core soon... for several reasons:

The 8-core will not be significantly faster than the 4-core, if at all. (unless you do scientific computation).

Tiger has primitive threading and cannot optimize the speed pontential. (may change with Leopard).

It will be surely replaced by February or so with the new Penryn processors.

I would wait till you can get a Penryn 8-core with Leopard, (and hopefully a 64-bit CS3), max it with the biggest RAM modules you can afford, and run 6 Raptors: 1 Scratch, 1 System, 4 in a RAID 0 array (with the harness I gave you the link to) (also hardware RAID if you can, not software), with a Superduper 1TB backup. That, my friend, will be a screaming system. (and you seem to love speed). Glad if these posts helped.

nina

Faust
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 10, 2007, 02:59 PM

You absolutely should not buy an 8-core soon... for several reasons:

The 8-core will not be significantly faster than the 4-core, if at all. (unless you do scientific computation).

Tiger has primitive threading and cannot optimize the speed pontential. (may change with Leopard).

It will be surely replaced by February or so with the new Penryn processors.

I would wait till you can get a Penryn 8-core with Leopard, (and hopefully a 64-bit CS3), max it with the biggest RAM modules you can afford, and run 6 Raptors: 1 Scratch, 1 System, 4 in a RAID 0 array (with the harness I gave you the link to) (also hardware RAID if you can, not software), with a Superduper 1TB backup. That, my friend, will be a screaming system. (and you seem to love speed). Glad if these posts helped.

nina
That sounds pretty cool. I will go through the links you posted. But there is nothing standing in the way of following your advice as I was about to upgrade anyway.

Thanks,

faust

NobleMatt
formerly crazyreaper
Senior User
Jul 10, 2007, 04:12 PM

Yes, but I thought some of the imacs could take one 2GB chip + one 1 GB chip, total 3GB. It would make you lots faster. PS works poorly with 1GB, pretty well with 2GB and very well with 3GB. The times for this test on MacBooks and iMacs are very roughly 5~8 minutes with 1GB, 2~5 minutes with 2GB, and 50 sec ~ 1 1/2 minutes or so with 3GB. It makes a huge difference.
well im already in the 50 secs to 1 min mark with 2GB (2 x 1GB)

ninahagen  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 11, 2007, 06:16 AM

That sounds pretty cool. I will go through the links you posted. But there is nothing standing in the way of following your advice as I was about to upgrade anyway.

Thanks,

faust
The system disc should clearly be separate. I am not sure how to divide the 5 remaining discs (between scratch and storage) for maximum speed. I wonder many of these make up the scratch RAID array, and how many make up the storage disc RAID array? Would someone more experienced can speak to that?

ninahagen  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 11, 2007, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by crazyreaper View Post
well im already in the 50 secs to 1 min mark with 2GB (2 x 1GB)
Yes, I should have been more precise. The newer imacs are in the sub 1 minute range. I looked back and found that you have a recent iMac dual-core that is faster than my G5 Quad 2.5. (I hate you)

I still think the 3rd gig would shave off quite a bit. But hey 50 seconds is rippin...

NobleMatt
formerly crazyreaper
Senior User
Jul 11, 2007, 06:38 AM

Yes, I should have been more precise. The newer imacs are in the sub 1 minute range. I looked back and found that you have a recent iMac dual-core that is faster than my G5 Quad 2.5. (I hate you)

I still think the 3rd gig would shave off quite a bit. But hey 50 seconds is rippin...
lol thanks

NKT
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 11, 2007, 09:42 PM

2.4ghz MBP core 2 duo, w/ 2gb stock ram and 160gb 5400rpm hard drive, running CS3:

53 seconds

NobleMatt
formerly crazyreaper
Senior User
Jul 12, 2007, 02:44 AM

wow thats a good time, is that the new MPB with Santa-Rosa?

Scott F
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 12, 2007, 05:09 PM

Here you go Nina, it went REALLY FAST!

17 MBP
2.4ghz MBP core 2 duo, w/ 4gb ram and 160gb 5400rpm hard drive, running CS3:

50 seconds

ninahagen  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 13, 2007, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by NKT View Post
2.4ghz MBP core 2 duo, w/ 2gb stock ram and 160gb 5400rpm hard drive, running CS3:

53 seconds
Originally Posted by Scott F View Post
Here you go Nina, it went REALLY FAST!

17 MBP
2.4ghz MBP core 2 duo, w/ 4gb ram and 160gb 5400rpm hard drive, running CS3:

50 seconds
Hi NKT & Scott,
Superb! You two must be over the moon with your Santa Rosas. Smokin'. Scott's post shows that by maxing it out on RAM, you get a 5~6% speed bump on the test. In fact, using 3GB would probably yield the same 5~6%, since PS can only use 3 GB. Where the 4GB will make a difference is in heavy multi-tasking.

Would you two be will to try a modified series of tests. We would be able to see when the extra RAM kicks in, and how much performance it gives. It will help people decide which level to get themselves, and NTK will see if it's worth a RAM upgrade.

I suggest 5 levels:

1 - The straight PS test (already complete)
2 - The straight PS test with 30 history states (RAM at 100%, test on restart)
3 - 30 history states+these other apps open: Illustrator, InDesign, Mail, Safari, iTunes, Word
4 - 30 History states+above apps open+PS running a batch with 3 operations (rotate 90% right, crop, reduce height to 1000 pixels (with proportional constraints) applying to 30 1GB tif files. They can be duplicates of the same file.
5 - All of the above while downloading a movie from iTunes.

I suspect the 4 GB will hold much closer to the speeds we see in the straight test.

Thanks again for posting your results...

Nina
( Last edited by ninahagen; Jul 13, 2007 at 09:00 AM. )

ninahagen  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 17, 2007, 10:58 AM

Is there anybody running a RAID array (either scratch or storage drives) who would take the test and post the results?

rgkgraphix
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 29, 2007, 02:13 AM

Sweet

35 seconds on my Mac Pro with 6 GB of Ram from a Seagate 500GB drive

(pats mac pro on top of case)

Richard Richard
Jul 29, 2007, 05:23 AM

32-33 secs on my 2.66 4/750
mac 4 evaah

ninahagen  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 12, 2007, 10:31 AM

This thread needs some results from RAID configurations... can anyone help out?

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Aug 12, 2007, 10:47 AM

Why I think the majority of the work on this specific test is cpu bound, a faster drive will not effect the results imo

ninahagen  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 29, 2007, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by MacosNerd View Post
Why I think the majority of the work on this specific test is cpu bound, a faster drive will not effect the results imo
That doesn't sound right. Can you back it up?

toknee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 30, 2007, 03:34 AM

Mac Pro
2 x 2.66 Dual Core
8GB RAM (4 x 2GB)
X1900XT
RAPTOR 150GB 10K HD SYSTEM DISK
RAPTOR 150GB 10K HD SCRATCH
2 x 500GB WD SE16 DATAVG RAID1
CS3

30 SECONDS

MacBook PRO
SR 2.4GHz 15.4"
4 GB RAM
200GB HITACHI 7200RPM 16MB CACHE

51 seconds
( Last edited by toknee; Aug 30, 2007 at 02:33 PM. Reason: Added MBP STATS)

ninahagen  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 30, 2007, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by toknee View Post
Mac Pro
2 x 2.66 Dual Core
8GB RAM (4 x 2GB)
X1900XT
RAPTOR 150GB 10K HD SYSTEM DISK
RAPTOR 150GB 10K HD SCRATCH
2 x 500GB WD SE16 DATAVG RAID1
CS3

30 SECONDS
What a beautiful set up. You cut 2-3 seconds (about 6~10%) off the normal time for a 2.66 Ghz with the Raptors. Now, for a single test like this, that might not seem like much, but if you start loading the work on like we do (with multiple batches and many programs working at once), you will see that your machine will bend only slightly under the load, while less robust setups will flag soon, slowing down significantly.

Several people have been suggesting using a 2~3 disc RAID 0 array as a scratch drive. Would that interest you? You can add two sata drives tethered directly to the motherboard with the Newer Tech wire harness and RAID them with the new Apple RAID card.

Anyway, what a muscular setup! I will be following your example at the next update.
( Last edited by ninahagen; Sep 24, 2007 at 11:31 AM. )

UnixMac
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2007, 01:53 PM

MacPro 3.0 Dual Core (4 cores), 8 GB RAM, Raptor System disc, 2x512GB (1TB RAID 0) scratch disc, CS3 , ATI X1900XT 512MB

28.5 seconds
( Last edited by UnixMac; Oct 1, 2007 at 12:50 PM. Reason: retested with no other apps running)
Mac Pro 3.0, ATI 5770 1GB VRAM, 10GB, 2xVelociraptor boot RAID, 4.5TB RAID0 storage, 30" & 20" Apple displays.
2 x Macbook Pro's 17" 3.06 4 GB RAM, 256GB Solid State drives
iMac 17" Core Duo 1GB RAM, & 2 iPhones 8GB, and a Nano in a pear tree!
Apple user since 1981

svtcontour
Forum Regular
Sep 9, 2007, 06:48 PM

Not a mac but it's what I got so I figured I'll try it.

Core2 Quad Q6600 (2.4Ghz)
Asus P5WDG2 WS Pro motherboard with 4Gigs DDR2-533
Nvidia 7950GT 512MB
73GB 15K SCSI boot drive, 36GB 15K SCSI scratch/temp
Adaptec U160 SCSI controller
Vista 64bit
CS2

29 seconds (29.31 to be exact)

tdiep
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 20, 2007, 10:33 PM

Just signed up just so I could post my results.

Macbook 2.0ghz C2D 2gb ram, rest is stock.

.Neo
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 1, 2007, 12:38 PM

24-inch iMac
2.8 GHz Core 2 Extreme
2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro 256 MB
500 GB HD

Retouch Artists Speed Test time:
00:00:44 (hh:mm:ss)

cclaud3
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 1, 2007, 01:23 PM

24-inch iMac
2.8 GHz Core 2 Extreme
4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro 256 MB
320 GB HD
CS3 EXTENDED

Retouch Artists Speed Test time:
00:00:46 (hh:mm:ss) as instructions stated
00:00:39 (hh:mm:ss) ran test 2nd time without restart (reopened test image and ran immediately)

ninahagen  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 1, 2007, 01:39 PM

Thanks very much! This confirms my fears ... the new iMac whups my loaded G5 Quad 2.5 (8GB RAM) by 20~30%. Ouch... but the day had to come. Anyway, you two must be thrilled... your machines are blazing fast, beautiful too. I noticed that 4GB gave another 15~20% increase in speed... I am sure that is RAM related. Photoshop needs 3GB dedicated (no other programs running) to be at its best, so 4GB gives a margin for other open apps. Great machines those new iMacs... and I think a lot for the money.

UnixMac
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2007, 01:44 PM

nina, are you using CS2 or CS3? CS2 is actually really slow on the Intel Macs..
Mac Pro 3.0, ATI 5770 1GB VRAM, 10GB, 2xVelociraptor boot RAID, 4.5TB RAID0 storage, 30" & 20" Apple displays.
Apple user since 1981

xe0
Forum Regular
Oct 2, 2007, 08:37 AM

iMac Alluminium 20"

2.4 GHz
2600 HD
3gb Ram

52 seconds.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2007, 05:41 PM

Just for fun...

Photoshop CS2 via Rosetta
OS X 10.4.10
Mac Pro 2.66GHz
6GB RAM
300GB 7200 RPM boot drive
500GB 7200 RPM scratch drive
X1900XT video card (for what its worth on this test)
Screen res @ 1920x1200
----
1'31"

Not too bad for emulated PPC code for CS2.
Anyway, I haven't bothered to upgrade to CS3 yet. Eventually, perhaps

UnixMac
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2007, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Cadaver View Post
Just for fun...

Photoshop CS2 via Rosetta
OS X 10.4.10
Mac Pro 2.66GHz
6GB RAM
300GB 7200 RPM boot drive
500GB 7200 RPM scratch drive
X1900XT video card (for what its worth on this test)
Screen res @ 1920x1200
----
1'31"

Not too bad for emulated PPC code for CS2.
Anyway, I haven't bothered to upgrade to CS3 yet. Eventually, perhaps

the comparison of CS2 and CS3 on the various Mac platforms is a great example of why it's critical that software is written natively for a computer, and why Mac games will always lag in performance to PC games.. which are optimized for windows, DirectX, and such... at least now we've got 1/2 the equation with Intel, but as long as developers make games (or anything else) for a PC then port it to a Mac, you'll never get your full potential out of your hardware.
Apple user since 1981

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 7, 2007, 07:55 PM

Mac Pro Dual 2.66 GHz
250 GB stock HD
5 GB RAM (2 x 2 GB Crucial RAM + 2 x 512 MB stock RAM)
nVidia GeFore 7300, 256 MB
Screen resolution: 1680 x 1050

------

38.4 seconds without restarting, and with Safari, Thunderbird, TextEdit open and iTunes streaming music over AirPort network.
35.1 seconds after restart.

ninahagen  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 11, 2007, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
38.4 seconds without restarting, and with Safari, Thunderbird, TextEdit open and iTunes streaming music over AirPort network.
35.1 seconds after restart.
As a point of education, can anyone tell me why there is so often a speed improvement after restart? Thanks...

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 11, 2007, 03:19 PM

Cleared caches/RAM?

I’m guessing most of the difference in mine had more to do with the other apps and music streaming running at the time I did the test first time around.

Macadvo
Forum Regular
Oct 16, 2007, 04:46 AM

Finally ran this speed test

Getting 31.87 seconds config below

Mac Pro 2.66
5 Gb memory
ATi X1900XT
1Tb RAID for scratch disk

I'm pretty pleased with that
Mac Pro Quad 2.66Ghz with 5Gb memory, 2.2Tb internal HDD, 750Gb external HDD and 30" Apple Cinema Display

ninahagen  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 16, 2007, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by Macadvo View Post
Finally ran this speed test

Getting 31.87 seconds config below

Mac Pro 2.66
5 Gb memory
ATi X1900XT
1Tb RAID for scratch disk

I'm pretty pleased with that
Yeah, that is a sweet time. Could you clarify your HD situation? From the post it looks as though you are using a 1TB exclusively as a scratch disc. Is that right? If so, what are your other discs?

Nisei
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 16, 2007, 09:04 AM

I'm kinda disappointed with the Mac Pro results. This machine is great for rendering but not a machine to reach blazing speeds in Photoshop. At least not for the price.

ninahagen  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 16, 2007, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Nisei View Post
I'm kinda disappointed with the Mac Pro results. This machine is great for rendering but not a machine to reach blazing speeds in Photoshop. At least not for the price.
Can you name a faster machine than a loaded Mac Pro in this test?

svtcontour
Forum Regular
Oct 17, 2007, 12:59 AM

Well this may not be relevant but I did score about 29 seconds on a Core2 Quad (Q6600) with CS2 in Vista of all things. Definitly wont be near as fast as an 8 core but seems to fall in between the 2.66 and 3Ghz dual dualcore for performance.

While apple does not have a single quad core machine right now, maybe they should for artists that dont have the large budget and dont need the extreme memory capacity of the Mac Pro.

So I think what Nisei was saying, is that compared to the Mac Pro (I'm sure he meant the quad core), some much cheaper machines are posting some really strong numbers.

Wonder how the Q6600 would do running in OSX and PS3. Hmmm I think it would be faster still. Maybe on par or besting the dual dualcore 3Ghz.

Can you name a faster machine than a loaded Mac Pro in this test?

Samanoske
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 17, 2007, 08:18 AM

Mac Pro 2*2.66 GHz
2*250 Raid 0 as scratch (not that i'll be used)
4 GB RAM (4 x 1 GB)
Screen resolution: 1920 x 1200

35 sec
.- OS X aDDICTED -.

ninahagen  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 18, 2007, 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by Samanoske View Post
Mac Pro 2*2.66 GHz
2*250 Raid 0 as scratch (not that i'll be used)
4 GB RAM (4 x 1 GB)
Screen resolution: 1920 x 1200

35 sec
Hi Samonosuke,
You are using 2 x 250GB HDs as a scratch volume, but hardware or software RAID?
What do you mean by "(not that it'll be used)?" Have you not activated the scratch volume yet?
What HD are you using for files, system & applications?
Did you set up the test right in terms of RAM, memory states and test on restart?
The reason I ask, is that you are at least 5 seconds slower than you could be (maybe more with the RAID0 scratch), and I wonder why.
Nina

Macadvo
Forum Regular
Oct 18, 2007, 05:09 AM

Yeah, that is a sweet time. Could you clarify your HD situation? From the post it looks as though you are using a 1TB exclusively as a scratch disc. Is that right? If so, what are your other discs?

The main OS hdd is the stock 250GB that came with the MP, the 1TB array is used to hold some data (Aperture Library, iTunes, Movies etc) and also used as a scratch disk for CS3.

In a few weeks I'm hoping to buy a third 500GB hdd to add to the array (making a three disk 1.5TB array). I also have a Lacie 500GB FW800 drive and a Seagate 750GB external hdd (using FW400 atm but once I get an eSATA card I'll switch it to that).

Seems like I can never have enough HDD space lol.

Alistair
Mac Pro Quad 2.66Ghz with 5Gb memory, 2.2Tb internal HDD, 750Gb external HDD and 30" Apple Cinema Display

tadd
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 18, 2007, 02:07 PM

53 sec

CPU: Core 2 Quad CPU @ 2.4Ghz
2GB of RAM 1.6GB available for Photoshop
250GB 7200 rpm SATA HD
nVidia GeForce 8500GT

MSWindows XP Pro SP2

Intrex Pro (locally built) generic PC
Photoshop v10 CS3
( Last edited by tadd; Oct 18, 2007 at 02:10 PM. Reason: forgot to mention it was a generic PC)

svtcontour
Forum Regular
Oct 18, 2007, 09:19 PM

has anyone gone from OSX into windows and tried the same test to see how much difference the OS itself makes? Just curious.
( Last edited by svtcontour; Oct 19, 2007 at 12:25 AM. )

ninahagen  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 3, 2007, 07:23 AM

I am really looking fwd to seeing results for the new iMac 2.6 Ghz as soon as anyone gets one... and especially for the new Mac Pro, but I will be able to test that for myself (hopefully within this decade... or next week).

QuadG5Man
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 5, 2007, 01:37 AM

Quad G5
320GB
4 GB RAM
cs3

38 seconds flat.
2002 Mac Mini i5 8GB 256GB SSD
2013 Macbook Air 4GB/128GB
iPad Mini A7 32GB

dankar