Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Pleasant Pismo Experience

Pleasant Pismo Experience
zeller
Apr 24, 2000, 12:43 PM

Pleasant Pismo Experience

Yesterday I flew from Milwaukee to Boston with my Pismo in my lap. After about 30 minutes of typing out some reports, I decided to close my eyes and listen to some mp3's. Using a playlist in SoundApp, and setting the Pismo to deactivate the screen after one minute of idle, I turned the volume about three quarters of the way up, on headphones.

When I opened my eyes over an hour later, music still playing, I checked the battery status. According to the display, I still had over three hours left, and the display had said 3 hours ten minutes over an hour ago. I was stunned. Talk about low power consumption...

Just thought I would share,

Ben

Hewligan
Apr 24, 2000, 05:37 PM

yeah - I do the same myself some times - switch on some MP3 tracks and shut off the screen - the battery life span increases a lot. Why? Simple: The original "guess" number is based on how long the PowerBook will survive with screen on. When you switch the screen off this value is recalculated, but you cannot see it (probably doubles since the screen takes about half or more of the power during light CPU/peripheral usage). That is all - no magic, but a pleasant surprise!

Hewligan

Forum Links
Forum Rules