Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Multiple TCP/IP's?

Multiple TCP/IP's?
herbert68
May 3, 2000, 03:49 PM

My problem is a common one, I guess. How do I take out the pain in changing the work settings in the TCP/IP control panel to my cable modem settings at home - and then again back to the work settings next day? And this every work day?

There must be an easier solution! I'm on a Pismo 400, OS 9.04.

Thanks for your help.

[This message has been edited by herbert68 (edited 05-03-2000).]

zeller
May 3, 2000, 05:18 PM

Herbert,

You can use the "Configurations" menu in the TCP/IP control panel (Apple-K once you are in the control panel, or under the File menu) to create multiple sets of TCP settings. Use the Duplicate command to create multiple configuration sets, which you can rename and then alter to your satisfaction.

The Location Manager control panel and control strip panel allow you to switch active TCP/IP configurations with a single click. (Use the Help command for assistance, or ask in the MacOS forum for more info!)

Ben

herbert68  (op)
May 3, 2000, 05:47 PM

Man! Thank you, that's great! That's why we like Macs. Thanks again, Ben!

micha schraven
Mac Enthusiast
May 7, 2000, 05:01 PM

A big thx from me also, I was wondering about that possibility too. I play LANgames and have Isdn. Both required other TCP/IP settings. You did many people a favour!
"the only real centre of the universe is yourself"

Rocke Woelk
May 7, 2000, 05:32 PM

The same applies to changing other configurations as well. For example, your mail settings may differ for work. Once set up... Your location manager will automatically switch these mail settings in addition to your TCP/IP settings. A wonderful solution set provided by those Masters @ Apple.

------------------

Misha
Professional Poster
May 7, 2000, 06:06 PM

Don't forget about Remote Access, either. It's very practical to have a whole slew of dial-up numbers for your ISP entered for any possible location that you may find yourself at!

gmsmith
Forum Regular
May 8, 2000, 05:13 PM

What about Location Manager? This is a GREAT app that will allow you to set everything from your TCP/IP options to your TimeZone. It works in conjuntion with the built in multiple IP/Appletalk options.

Give it a look, it is very cool

Peace,
G

Forum Links
Forum Rules