Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Overly sensitive Pismo/Bronze keyboard?

Overly sensitive Pismo/Bronze keyboard?
zeller
May 12, 2000, 03:12 PM

Hello,

This relates to my Powerbook Firewire "Pismo." Have any other Powerbook Firewire (or Bronze, which has the same keyboard, right?) owners experienced the following "problem" with their built-in keyboards:

Occasionally, when typing, the keyboard registers a single key as having been pressed twice (or pressed and held), even though I know that I did not press the key in question more than once, nor did I hold the key down long enough for the computer to register a repeat. For every ten or fifteen minutes of serious typing, this happens about once.

This is not really a serious problem, but it is sort of annoying. I am guessing one of three things is happening:

1) The keyboard is very sensitive, and thinks that I am holding the key down long enough to warrant a repeat.
2) There is some sort of funky software bug inside the OS.
3) I am getting old and senile and really am pushing the keys too long, or my hands are really jittery.

Questions:
1) Does anyone else have this problem?
2) Is there any software solution that turns off the "key repeat" feature? i.e. if I hold down the "a" key for ten seconds, can I only get one "a" to appear on the screen as opposed to a whole line of them?

Thanks in advance,

Ben

Misha
Professional Poster
May 12, 2000, 03:58 PM

I had this problem. It was annoying, especially since it seemed to always happen when I pressed command-w, closing multiple windows when I only wanted to close one.

It turned out that CopyPaste was the culprit. Perhaps some system extension on your Mac is also the blame.

You can slow (or disable) the key repeat feature in they Keyboard control panel. I don't think that will help, though.

Good luck finding the culprit!

tooki
Admin Emeritus
May 13, 2000, 02:02 PM

I have the same problem with my Pismo, and it is not the fault of some system extension. Instead, I have noticed when it happeds, though: when you type a letter right as the system tries to access the hard drive it types the letter once, and then as soon as the drive has responded, it gets typed again. It's annoying, but I don't know gow to fix it. Seeing as how it sounds like a software issue more than hardware, it would be interesting to see if the same phenomenon occurs when using an external keyboard.

I'll keep you posted on my discoveries.

tooki

zeller  (op)
May 14, 2000, 10:14 AM

Thanks to both Misha and Tooki.

Turning off key repeat didn't help at all, as Misha thought. If I can get my hands on an external keyboard, I will do a little test as well.

Thanks again,

Ben

Forum Links
Forum Rules