Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Nintendo Wii

Nintendo Wii (Page 49)
Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 25, 2006, 11:24 PM

Wii Wish You a Merry Christmas

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Dec 26, 2006, 02:40 AM

So how does this whole Wii Friend code thing work? If you add someone, do you have to send them a separate email and let them know to add you or will the system do that for you?

Mine's 1053 2386 3678 1540 if anyone wants to mess with this feature.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 26, 2006, 11:05 AM

To exchange messages, you have to be in one another's address book. I really wish they would include a user's Wii Code with a user's Mii, then you could add someone, fire your Mii, and the receiver could use your Mii to add you to their address book.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Calimus
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 26, 2006, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by RAILhead View Post
To exchange messages, you have to be in one another's address book. I really wish they would include a user's Wii Code with a user's Mii, then you could add someone, fire your Mii, and the receiver could use your Mii to add you to their address book.
If they were going to do it that way, you wouldn't even need to send a Mii. It could just be that you add them and it sends a message to their Wii asking to approve and add you on theirs. Essentially the same thing you described, but goes against their "strangers are dangerous" philosophy. Personally I don't really mind because I don't play any games online more than an hour or two a week anyway, so I don't care if it's just random people I play against in mario cart DS for example. But I can certainly see how flawed it is in comparison to the 360 way of doing friends though.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 26, 2006, 02:34 PM

Friend codes = teh retarted
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 26, 2006, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Calimus View Post
If they were going to do it that way, you wouldn't even need to send a Mii. It could just be that you add them and it sends a message to their Wii asking to approve and add you on theirs. Essentially the same thing you described, but goes against their "strangers are dangerous" philosophy. Personally I don't really mind because I don't play any games online more than an hour or two a week anyway, so I don't care if it's just random people I play against in mario cart DS for example. But I can certainly see how flawed it is in comparison to the 360 way of doing friends though.
Yes, what you're saying would be just as easy -- I just like seeing a Mii drop from the sky, bounce, and then I get to figure out who it is.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 26, 2006, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Friend codes = teh retarted
It's fun for me and my nephews and niece since we're so far away from each other.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Dec 26, 2006, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by RAILhead View Post
It's fun for me and my nephews and niece since we're so far away from each other.
Yes but wouldn't a unique ID of your choosing be better than a 16 digit friend code?

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Dec 26, 2006, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
Yes but wouldn't a unique ID of your choosing be better than a 16 digit friend code?
Not really, because the ID isn't of your choosing. That's the problem with name-based ID systems: you're bound to whatever others have already chosen. If they have the name you want, then it's off to add a numeric code or some other silly thing to the end or beginning or whenever.

By tying the ID to something immutable but meaningless, you're free to go by whatever handle you want. ICQ understood this, as did the telephone system and the HFS+ filesystem. As far as this goes, name-based systems like XBox Live are a step back, not forward.

Or, to put it another way: what if your ability to be contacted by telephone was tied to your name, rather than a number? I doubt I'd hear many arguments that this would somehow be better than the number-based system in use today. Why would online communications be any different?
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 26, 2006, 05:55 PM

I can't believe you're seriously arguing that a 16-digit string of random numbers is better than a user-selected name.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 26, 2006, 06:01 PM

I'd rather take name + a 4 digit number than a 16 digit one

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 26, 2006, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Millennium View Post
By tying the ID to something immutable but meaningless, you're free to go by whatever handle you want. ICQ understood this, as did the telephone system and the HFS+ filesystem.
Excellent point: When was the last time you had to type in an HFS+ file ID in order to access a file on your Mac's hard drive?
Chuck
___

Gamoe  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 26, 2006, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar² View Post
I'd rather take name + a 4 digit number than a 16 digit one
I think there's a good compromise somewhere in the middle there. What of a user-chosen name with in addition to a second, Nintendo-created part with multiple options (like an e-Mail domain), so various people could use their first names. For example:

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

Alternatively, the ending could be a country designated code (such as .us, .ca, .uk, etc) , so there could be even more same-name variations.

But I dunno. Just an idea. But, either way, I haven't found it a big issue thus far. Sure, the first time it's pretty disconcerting, because it's different, but afterwards you just get the hang of it, and it's not a problem.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 26, 2006, 06:20 PM

It doesn't bother me that much, simply because I only have to enter it once when I add someone.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 26, 2006, 06:36 PM

I would have preferred a server-side solution.

1. sign up with WiiConnect24 (handle etc)

2. Log onto Wii connect on your console...."sync" your Wii with WiiConnect24.

3.Have to option to add,remove, block anyone on your buddy-list (just like IM)

4. Have the ability to have multiple log-ons (upto 3 maybe)(MacOSX multi-user experience comes to mind)...but then of course, you'd need a HDD.

5. Disconnect with WiiConnect24, sell your console, get a new one(different color, what-have-you)....and resync to your account.

I think the current model is too "client-side-heavy" meaning it's way too dependant on your Wii's ID (hardware).

jokell82
Professional Poster
Dec 26, 2006, 08:42 PM

Not really, because the ID isn't of your choosing. That's the problem with name-based ID systems: you're bound to whatever others have already chosen. If they have the name you want, then it's off to add a numeric code or some other silly thing to the end or beginning or whenever.

By tying the ID to something immutable but meaningless, you're free to go by whatever handle you want. ICQ understood this, as did the telephone system and the HFS+ filesystem. As far as this goes, name-based systems like XBox Live are a step back, not forward.

Or, to put it another way: what if your ability to be contacted by telephone was tied to your name, rather than a number? I doubt I'd hear many arguments that this would somehow be better than the number-based system in use today. Why would online communications be any different?
So you're saying we should get rid of our email addresses and just send messages to our IPs? Ooh! Or maybe our computers MAC addresses!

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 27, 2006, 05:55 PM

I got my replacement straps today. I asked for 4 straps even though I only have 2 controllers. I figured I might as well get some extras in case I got some controllers in the future that were made before the new straps were in place or something. But for some reason, Nintendo sent me two packages with the same contents, so now I have 8 straps. Maybe I'll put them on my PSP, DS and Gameboy. The part that connects to the controller is thicker, but still kinda thin looking to me.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 27, 2006, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by icruise View Post
I got my replacement straps today. I asked for 4 straps even though I only have 2 controllers. I figured I might as well get some extras in case I got some controllers in the future that were made before the new straps were in place or something. But for some reason, Nintendo sent me two packages with the same contents, so now I have 8 straps. Maybe I'll put them on my PSP, DS and Gameboy. The part that connects to the controller is thicker, but still kinda thin looking to me.
but but but..... then you wont have any excuses when that PSP "accidentally" falls to it's death.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Dec 29, 2006, 10:05 AM

I've bought a Classic Controller today, and downloaded Mario 64. I bought the controller in exchange for a 3rd party gamecube controller because the GC cable wasnt long enough to go across the room comfortably. So for now I'm not getting any GC stuff until I get a wireless controller sorted out. I asked about using a Wavebird with a Wii in the shop today and was told that theres been reports of interference problems between Wavebird and Wii, and that its not recommended to get a Wavebird or any wireless GC pad. So is anyone here using a Wavebird or 3rd party wireless Gamecube pad (if there is one) with their Wii, any problems?

Also, whats recommended for Gamecube games, any must haves out there. I'd be looking for GC exclusive or Nintendo licenced games, as I had a PS2 until I got the 360 so I know most of the multi format games from before.
( Last edited by ajprice; Dec 29, 2006 at 11:42 AM. )

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 29, 2006, 10:11 AM

GC?

Metroid Prime, Zelda, Eternal Darkness come to mind as cream of the crop.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 29, 2006, 10:21 AM

heise online - 23C3: Nintendos Wii als perfektes Hackerziel

"The Wii is an ideal target for hackers" jubilated XBOX-hacker Michael Steil at the 23rd Chaos Communication Congress.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Dec 29, 2006, 10:23 AM

So you're saying we should get rid of our email addresses and just send messages to our IPs? Ooh! Or maybe our computers MAC addresses!
Not at all, but just as the Internet's e-mail and addressing systems is built from names on top of (theoretically) immutable identifiers, so should any naming system used by the Wii.

You know, sort of like this.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Dec 29, 2006, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
Also, whats recommended for Gamecube games, any must haves out there. I'd be looking for GC exclusive or Nintendo licenced games, as I had a PS2 until I got the 360 so I know most of the multi format games from before.
It obviously depends on the type of games you like, but I wholeheartedly recommend the following:

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
Tales of Symphonia
Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
Mario Power Tennis (as long as you turn power shots off)
Animal Crossing
The Legend of Zelda Collector's Edition
Mario Kart: Double Dash!

I still need to get Pikmin 2, but what I've played of it is good.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

zro
Mac Elite
Dec 29, 2006, 10:48 AM

Not at all, but just as the Internet's e-mail and addressing systems is built from names on top of (theoretically) immutable identifiers, so should any naming system used by the Wii.

I see no privacy policy there. I see no policies of any kind. I hate when some nameless, wholly unaccountable dude comes up with a better way to do something than the company that instigated it.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Dec 29, 2006, 10:57 AM

All that site does is find a way to circumvent the ridiculously long and completely unrememberable (yeah, I made it up) Wii code. Why not institute a system like that directly on the Wii to make it easier for everyone?

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Dec 29, 2006, 11:04 AM

16 digits is unrememberable? I recognize that it takes a little more effort than, for example, a phone number, but it isn't that difficult.

I do admit to being somewhat disturbed about benmii's lack of privacy policies (you'll note that I don't use it either). I meant only to use it as an example of how a name system can be layered on top of unique IDs to make things easier to remember while retaining the ability to choose any handle you want.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Dec 29, 2006, 11:10 AM

I've bought a Classic Controller today, and downloaded Mario 64. I bought the controller in exchange for a 3rd party gamecube controller because the GC cable wasnt long enough to go across the room comfortably. So for now I'm not getting and GC stuff until I get a wireless controller sorted out. I asked about using a Wavebird with a Wii in the shop today and was told that theres been reports of interference problems between Wavebird and Wii, and that its not recommended to get a Wavebird or any wireless GC pad. So is anyone here using a Wavebird or 3rd party wireless Gamecube pad (if there is one) with their Wii, any problems?

I've played Super Smash Brothers on a Wii with three other people, all of us using wireless Gamecube (nintendo brand I think) controllers, and we didn't have the slightest problem.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Dec 29, 2006, 11:29 AM

16 digits is unrememberable? I recognize that it takes a little more effort than, for example, a phone number, but it isn't that difficult.

I do admit to being somewhat disturbed about benmii's lack of privacy policies (you'll note that I don't use it either). I meant only to use it as an example of how a name system can be layered on top of unique IDs to make things easier to remember while retaining the ability to choose any handle you want.
I've yet to meet anyone who knows their Wii number. Either they have it written down or they have to look it up and email it to me later. I'm the same way - I have absolutely no idea what my wii number is.

That's a problem if you want to add someone to your Wii.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 29, 2006, 11:56 AM

Sixteen digits is a lot more than humans can normally remember without some sort of memory aid or practice. A phone number is pushing the upper limit — and frankly, I don't think anybody would argue that phone numbers are an ideal UI that everything else should strive to emulate anyway. There's a reason why my parents didn't name me #208409217243924.

At any rate, 16 digits is a hell of a lot harder to remember than, say, "Chuckit" or "Millennium."
( Last edited by Chuckit; Dec 29, 2006 at 12:38 PM. )
Chuck
___

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 29, 2006, 12:22 PM

I asked about using a Wavebird with a Wii in the shop today and was told that theres been reports of interference problems between Wavebird and Wii, and that its not recommended to get a Wavebird or any wireless GC pad.
That's the first I've heard of that, and I haven't had any trouble with a Wavebird. Even if there was "interference" I assume he means interference between the wireless Wii controllers and the Wavebird, but since you basically never use them at the same time, I don't see how that would be an issue.

Yes. Yes it is. Phone numbers are, for all intents and purposes, 7 digits, since the area code isn't something that changes with every number you use (assuming you mostly call people in your area, which I think is true for most people). But beyond that, a phone number is something that you use in your everyday life. Even the most active Wii user is unlikely to use their friend code nearly as much as their phone number. By the way, Millennium -- do you have your Wii code memorized?

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 29, 2006, 12:33 PM

I can't believe you're seriously arguing that a 16-digit string of random numbers is better than a user-selected name.
That's fanboys for ya.

Not to mention a Wii game already uses a SEPARATE code making it worse.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

jokell82
Professional Poster
Dec 29, 2006, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
That's fanboys for ya.

Not to mention a Wii game already uses a SEPARATE code making it worse.
They've already said that that is due to the interaction with the DS, and having to use DS-compatible friend codes.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 29, 2006, 05:51 PM

They've already said that that is due to the interaction with the DS, and having to use DS-compatible friend codes.
I don't care what the reason is. It was a stupid idea on the DS and everyone hated it and it was idiotic to carry it over to the Wii.

quattrokid73
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 29, 2006, 06:11 PM

anyone know when they are launching DS integration on the Wii? I can't wait to use my DS with my Wii for demos and online playing. I downloaded the trial web browser and am very impressed. I wonder if they will release a wireless keyboard to compliment the Wiimote.

Adam
MBP 2.4, 2gb, 8600GT, 120gb 7200rpm; white iPhone 3G

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 29, 2006, 06:51 PM

I've bought a Classic Controller today, and downloaded Mario 64. I bought the controller in exchange for a 3rd party gamecube controller because the GC cable wasnt long enough to go across the room comfortably. So for now I'm not getting any GC stuff until I get a wireless controller sorted out. I asked about using a Wavebird with a Wii in the shop today and was told that theres been reports of interference problems between Wavebird and Wii, and that its not recommended to get a Wavebird or any wireless GC pad. So is anyone here using a Wavebird or 3rd party wireless Gamecube pad (if there is one) with their Wii, any problems?

Zelda Windwaker
Metroid Prime 1 & 2
Resident Evil 4
Rogue Squadron
Rebel Strike
Eternal Darkness (very involved)
Prince of Persia (1,2 & 3) (non exclusive)

Gamoe  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 29, 2006, 08:14 PM

I asked about using a Wavebird with a Wii in the shop today and was told that theres been reports of interference problems between Wavebird and Wii, and that its not recommended to get a Wavebird or any wireless GC pad. So is anyone here using a Wavebird or 3rd party wireless Gamecube pad (if there is one) with their Wii, any problems?
I got two Wavebird Controllers so I could play GameCube games and I've had no problems so far, even with both of them working at once.

I recommend Time Splitters: Future Perfect as a fun, first-person shooter, and Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door as a fun, colorful Mario RPG, though it may be a little simple for some people.

Here's GameSpot's Top GameCube games.

ink
Mac Elite
Dec 30, 2006, 12:45 PM

Metroid Prime 1 (2 is OK)
SSX-3
Super Smash Brothers (only if you plan on 3+ players)
Resident Evil 4 (awesome)
Wind Waker
Lego Starwars 2
Soul Caliber 2
Paper Mario is fun, but stay away from Mario Sunshine

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 30, 2006, 01:01 PM

Well, Mario Sunshine isn't a bad game, it's just a big letdown compared to previous games in the series. I'd certainly recommend the Virtual Console version of Mario 64 above Mario Sunshine.

The Harvest Moon series is good if you like that kind of thing.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 30, 2006, 04:20 PM

Well, Mario Sunshine isn't a bad game, it's just a big letdown compared to previous games in the series.
I thought it was bad in general. Every puzzle had the same solution... spray water on it. Repeat.

That aside the art direction was super ugly but what did it for me was the extremely small boring levels. Each level walk half the size of many of the ones from Mario 64 and bland.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 30, 2006, 05:20 PM

Is it just me, or is that fishing line or something attached to his strap and not the actual cord? My cord does not look like that. In any case, he was really swinging that thing hard.
Remember when I made this comment about that YouTube video where the guy had his strap break? Since I have my replacements now, I decided to see how hard it was to break one of the old straps. It took quite a lot of force to do it, and I tried some quick sharp pulls in addition to steady pressure. It was hard enough to break that I can't imagine it ever happening from the force of the remote flying. But since we know that it did happen, this makes me think that the problem wasn't thin straps per se, but rather genuinely defective straps in some cases.

Anyway, there is in fact something that looks like fishing line inside the white fabric cover of the cord, and that was what I was seeing in the video. The actual strap doesn't look like that, but the inside does.

quattrokid73
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 30, 2006, 08:03 PM

do any of you know if the component vid cables actually make a noticeable difference on an HDTV? im considering the purchase, but they are pricey and dont want to waste money.

Gamoe  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 30, 2006, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by quattrokid73 View Post
do any of you know if the component vid cables actually make a noticeable difference on an HDTV? im considering the purchase, but they are pricey and dont want to waste money.
They were worth it for me. I don't see as many jaggies (though there are reports to the contrary) and the colors are definitely more saturated, more vivid-- even in GameCube games. I don't know if it's exactly the difference between night and day, however.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 30, 2006, 09:43 PM

they make it look less horrible.

Gamoe  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 30, 2006, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
they make it look less horrible.

quattrokid73
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 30, 2006, 11:36 PM

lol im not bothered so much by it because its the gameplay that i enjoy about the wii...for intense graphics i use my 360.

Philip J. Fry
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 30, 2006, 11:57 PM

I love my Wii. Nothing else to contribute!

zerostar
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2006, 12:36 AM

My ID is 1785 5152 2638 5946

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Dec 31, 2006, 10:58 AM

They'll get you 480p: not as much of a boost as some here would like, but a boost nonetheless.

blackbird_1.0
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2006, 03:29 PM

I love mine as well. No, if I could get the remote to work with my MacBook...
Apple II GS | Powerbook 165 | iMac Rev. A 96mb RAM| iBook G3 500mhz, 128mb RAM | Power Macintosh G5 1.6ghz, 2.25gb RAM | Black MacBook 2ghz, 2gb RAM | iPhone Rev. A 8gb HD

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 31, 2006, 08:54 PM

Hey, the VC has Toe Jam & Earl now! I loved that game back in, like, 1992.
Chuck
___

Forum Links
Forum Rules