Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Amex refunding iPhone buyers

Amex refunding iPhone buyers
CIA
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2007, 06:23 PM

I just got off the phone with Amex, called the buyer's protection number (1-800-297-8019). They said "Things are changing quickly, we will forward your claim to someone to review it, you should know within 2 weeks."
The operator mentioned the $100 Apple credit and was unsure if I would get my refund for the $200 difference. His tone didn't sound promising. He also mentioned they have been inundated with calls.
I bought two 8GB iPhones on launch day, 6/29. Total was $1,280.06. (Tax was 6.85% here in UT, added $82.06 to the $1,198.00 total.)

Other people who were quick on the gun and called immediately yesterday seemed to get the money back, including tax, quickly. I don't know if anyone had the credit actually posted yet, since it takes 48 hours, but early callers seemed to have better luck.

Anyone else having luck with this?
Work: 2008 8x3.2 MacPro, 8800GT, 16GB ram, zillions of HDs. (video editing)
Home: 2008 24" 2.8 iMac, 2TB Int, 4GB ram.
Road: 2009 13" 2.26 Macbook Pro, 8GB ram & 640GB WD blue internal
Retired to BOINC only: My trusty never-gonna-die 12" iBook G4 1.25

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 7, 2007, 06:40 PM

So you are after your $200 AND the $100 Apple credit?
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

CIA  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2007, 08:56 PM

Heh, both would be nice, but I'd prefer the money back from Amex over a credit with Apple. Any refund I get from Amex is going to pay down my Amex bill anyway lol. My Amex card has a new iMac 2.8Ghz machine on there that needs to be paid for. 8-).
Work: 2008 8x3.2 MacPro, 8800GT, 16GB ram, zillions of HDs. (video editing)
Home: 2008 24" 2.8 iMac, 2TB Int, 4GB ram.
Road: 2009 13" 2.26 Macbook Pro, 8GB ram & 640GB WD blue internal
Retired to BOINC only: My trusty never-gonna-die 12" iBook G4 1.25

sph
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 7, 2007, 09:48 PM

I just tried this with Citibank. They confirmed that I do have price protection and they would credit me the full $200 but they only extend the price protection for 60 days from date of purchase. So since I bought the iPhone on 6/30, the day after it came out, and Apple cut the price on 9/5, I'm screwed by 5 days...They said I could appeal it and try to submit the claim anyway, but I'm not holding my breath.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 7, 2007, 10:32 PM

Before the announcement of the rebate, I called Bank of America, but apparently they don't have price protection for their cards.

loveanh
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 8, 2007, 10:15 AM

I was on hold for 1.5 hours with Amex last night. The CSR took my info and claim and said they would have a decision within two weeks.

plamparello
Sep 10, 2007, 02:08 PM

What AMEX card are you talking about that still has price protecting. From what I know, that benefit had been removed?
plamparello

theDreamer
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 10, 2007, 02:18 PM

Mastercard World edition has this, I am attempting to get a refund from them.
They it would be likely, but they said they need certain things. Such as:
~First source advertisement of price drop, or current price which would show a difference in price from what I paid.
~Also sent over a bunch of forms that are going to take awhile to fill out.

While it may be a pain, but if I get the money back I get the money back. If not I always can get the 100 dollar gift card from Apple.

Forum Links
Forum Rules