Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Interest in Eudora replacement?

Interest in Eudora replacement?
Hobbes
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 23, 2007, 07:33 PM

For many years Eudora was one of the best email clients on the Mac platform. Very few, if any, other email clients had the features, power, and speed of Eudora. Unfortunately, Qualcomm slowly started abandoning the project. The end result was an outdates interface, aging filters, and very little effective integration with OS X. Now Qualcomm has decided to "migrate" Eudora to the Thunderbird code base. Unfortunately, an extension that modifies Thunderbird to "act" like Eudora is a far cry from the program so many have used for so long.

So the question is: Is there interest among the Mac community for a third-party replacement to Eudora? Is there interest in a program that will duplicate all the features and power of Eudora, while at the same time improving in the areas that Qualcomm never did?

Bear in mind, this would not be a program to compete with Apple Mail. This would be for email power users, users who receive tens of thousands of emails and need the power that Eudora once provided.

Any input?

Moonray
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2007, 11:52 PM

Are you considering writing an Eudora replacement?

Long years ago I used Eudora too and hesitated a good time before I switched to Apple Mail. Then after getting used to it I had no probems with some weirdnesses of Mail, most of them got fixed sooner or later but it was always working. Eudora’s OS X integration and and interface was already poor then and soon I did not miss all these cranks and levers any more because they weren’t necessary. I don’t know how much mail Mail can handle, but I think enough for small businesses and more.

Maybe you could list up a few details you have in mind that you’d miss without Eudora.

-

Hobbes  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 24, 2007, 12:29 AM

I'm fully at home using Mail too. I actually switched to Mail a couple of years ago. But I was always hoping that Qualcomm would eventually get off their butts and actually update Eudora properly. Although I like Mail, its always struggled with the volume of mail I get. I have one mailbox that has 50,000+ messages in it.

So in the back of my mind, I had always held out the hope of switching back to the Cocoa version of Eudora.... once it was released. Now that that's not going to happen, I can't help but wonder if there's a market for a program that picks up where Eudora left off.... the Power User's Email Program.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 24, 2007, 12:46 AM

Mail is missing several important features, but Thunderbird is an excellent, well behaved email client. This, coupled with the add-on functionality makes me wonder what it is missing that Eudora has?

Moonray
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2007, 12:49 AM

How many mails can a power user read or write a day? And what percentage of Mac users would be such power users? I think the market share is rather small there, and for really big solutions, there's really professional software like Novell GroupWise or alike.

-

P
Aug 24, 2007, 06:38 AM

Eudora is sort of the vi of email clients. It really isn't more powerful than any other client (and it's been a long time since it was) and it works in a fairly contrived way, but those who got used to email apps working that way think everything else works backwards.

Don't get me wrong - this doesn't mean that the people who loved Eudora are idiots. I feel that way myself - except for Clarie Emailer 2.0, an app that was killed by Apple when they reabsorbed Claris. Looking back now, it wasn't really more powerful than the competition, but it did what it should with a minimum of fuss. That's worth a lot.

The idea to transition Eudora to Thunderbird isn't really a bad one. What is needed for Eudora users is an app that looks like Eudora. Featurewise, most current apps are as powerful, it's just that Eudora power users don't know where to find their features in other apps. If there is anything missing in Thunderbird that was there in Eudora, such a transition would show it and Thunderbird's developers will have a chance to improve their application.

zro
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2007, 10:28 AM

Here's your e-mail client for "power users." Bare Bones Software : PRODUCTS : MAILSMITH

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 4, 2007, 10:57 AM

The Eudora developers from QUALCOMM are building a new version of Eudora based on Thunderbird:

Penelope - MozillaWiki

Download here if you wish: Index of /download/eudora/mac/8.0/

Moonray
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2007, 01:04 PM

Yes, that was the complaint that started the thread.

-

Phinnea
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 20, 2007, 06:04 PM

I'd be very interested in an e-mail program that offered the Eudora features I love.

1) Ability to search anywhere. Fast. Thunderbird insists you specify where you want to search subject, from, body, etc.

2) Copy and paste a list of email addresses from Excel or another program without having to add each person as an individual contact.

3) Send again. I have to email a bunch of people, but I'm limited to 25 at a time. In Eudora I just do send again, change the To: field and the next batch gets the message.

I love Thunderbird's junkmail filter, and ability to keep separate email accounts separate, but having downloaded the new 'Eudora' it looks to me like Thunderbird renamed.

Groupwise! Ha! It's awful.

philm
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2007, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Phinnea View Post
I'd be very interested in an e-mail program that offered the Eudora features I love.

1) Ability to search anywhere. Fast. Thunderbird insists you specify where you want to search subject, from, body, etc.

2) Copy and paste a list of email addresses from Excel or another program without having to add each person as an individual contact.

3) Send again. I have to email a bunch of people, but I'm limited to 25 at a time. In Eudora I just do send again, change the To: field and the next batch gets the message.

I love Thunderbird's junkmail filter, and ability to keep separate email accounts separate, but having downloaded the new 'Eudora' it looks to me like Thunderbird renamed.

Groupwise! Ha! It's awful.

Mail.app does (1) and (2) I think. I don't quite understand (3), but Mail.app has a Send Again feature like Eudora.

Forum Links
Forum Rules