Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Duplicate entries in the 'open with' dialogue

Duplicate entries in the 'open with' dialogue
peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2007, 11:40 AM

OK, so I have a huge mess in my 'open with' dialogue. I've tried deleting the launch services files, and tried rebuilding the database with mainmenu. No luck - I still have two of every program in this menu.
Help!
( Last edited by peeb; Sep 20, 2007 at 11:58 AM. )

reader50
Administrator
Sep 20, 2007, 11:48 AM

Duplicates are usually different versions of the same program. ie - you update one partition to OSX 10.4.10, but leave another partition on 10.4.6 for safety. "Open With" will find both versions of the applications that got changed. Often, it will add the version number after the application name.

peeb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2007, 11:56 AM

Thanks - I looked, and I don't think this is it - here's a screenshot:

peeb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2007, 12:11 PM

I tried running this:
sudo /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Support/lsregister -kill -r -f -dump -domain local -domain system -domain user

in terminal - no joy.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2007, 12:51 PM

Does that Terminal command reset LaunchServices?, cause that's is what I was going to suggest, albeit using Onyx to do it.

peeb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2007, 01:27 PM

I've deleted Launchservices, as per the Apple Knowledgebase on this. no effect.

larkost
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2007, 02:41 PM

Do you have any soft-links pointing to those applications, or a folder with shortcuts to those applications? That might well confuse it into thinking there were two copies. And you don't have a second partition with a second OS on it do you? Or have you done an "archive and install" at some point?

LauchServices is very good at finding applications and adding them to its cache of applications available.

peeb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2007, 03:28 PM

The only thing I can think of is that I have a Super-Duper copy of my hard drive on an external drive. If launch services were adding those, how do I stop it?

zro
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2007, 03:46 PM

It also picks up any AFP mounts, I believe.

peeb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2007, 04:10 PM

I don't think I have any AFP mounts, and I have tried deleting the launchservices with the backup drive unmounted - any other ideas? It's driving me crazy!

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 20, 2007, 08:00 PM

Try unmounting the external HD, disconnect it, log out and back in and see what happens.

peeb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2007, 08:21 PM

Tried that - it does not seem to make any difference. Thanks though.

Moonray
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2007, 10:11 AM

And you did do a Spotlight search for these mysterious duplicates and tried to open something with the other app while the first is still running and it opens in the already running one and you don’t get another copy of the app started?

-

peeb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 21, 2007, 11:56 AM

Interesting - when I open something with the 'duplicate', it opens a new window, not another copy of the app. I cannot find any duplicates with Spotlight - I'm pretty sure I only have one copy of each, and no aliases.

It's odd though, it's not everything that is duplicated:
( Last edited by peeb; Sep 21, 2007 at 12:03 PM. )

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Sep 21, 2007, 12:10 PM

It's gotta be the apps on the external hard drive.

I'd try disconnecting the external, and then trashing the LaunchServices cache while it's not hooked up. Then reboot w/o the external and see what happens.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

peeb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 21, 2007, 12:21 PM

I have not connected the external in a couple of days, and have done that. No luck - I really don't think it's that, especially because the external has copies of everything, and this seems only to be duplicating some things. Also, if it were actually pointing to a different copy of the app on another drive, wouldn't opening something with it when that drive was not connected cause an error?
When I open something with the second copy, it opens a new window in the existing app.
Your brainpower on this is much appreciated.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Sep 21, 2007, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by peeb View Post
Also, if it were actually pointing to a different copy of the app on another drive, wouldn't opening something with it when that drive was not connected cause an error?
When I open something with the second copy, it opens a new window in the existing app.
Well, not necessarily, because it stores the bundle ID of the app as well as some other identifying information. So it's possible that if it doesn't find the app it's looking for by path, it would look it up by bundle ID and find the existing app. But of course if you did rebuild the LS database while the external wasn't connected, that should have got rid of any references to the apps on the external drive. Hmm...

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Forum Links
Forum Rules