Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > One less reason to need Flash on my iPhone - Google Analytics app

One less reason to need Flash on my iPhone - Google Analytics app
JKT
Professional Poster
Mar 6, 2009, 12:19 PM

Flash - iPhone, iPhone - Flash. It seems that never the twain shall meet. One of the major drawbacks of this is that you can't access Google Analytics via mobile Safari because the site is dependent on Flash. However, there is a really nice app available which is, in many ways, actually better than viewing Analytics on the web - just learnt about it at Macworld today:

http://www.macworld.com/article/1392...?lsrc=rss_main

Fwiw.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Mar 6, 2009, 05:34 PM

I hate everything Flash. I want it to just die.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2009, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
I hate everything Flash. I want it to just die.
I don't know of a better way of delivering video content via the web. What do you have against video?

Moonray
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2009, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by boy8cookie View Post
I don't know of a better way of delivering video content via the web. What do you have against video?
He has nothing against video. Video worked fine on the web before Flash came. And then everyone jumped on it with the result of tons of low quality clips everywhere.

-

JKT  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 9, 2009, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by Moonray View Post
Video worked fine on the web before Flash came.
That's news to anyone who used the web before Flash - like it or not, but Mac users could not watch a vast amount of video on the web because it was WMV encoded and/or DRMe'd. Even though Flash is less than ideal on the Mac, at least it removed control of video delivery from Microsoft and Real who were determined to lock you into (or out of) their systems.

I have absolutely nothing against Flash - it does what it does and works well enough. It could be better on the Mac, could use less CPU, etc. but at least it is a write once, works everywhere solution (except the iPhone). Until Flash appears on the iPhone (if it ever does), I am sick of not being able to use sites that absolutely require it. The app I posted a link to at least lets me use one Flash dependent site that is mission critical for me on my iPhone. I hope that in the not-too-distant future, I'll be able to use all the others too.

Forum Links
Forum Rules