Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > CPU stuck on 100% -no reason!?!?

CPU stuck on 100% -no reason!?!?
cyberwarrior
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 1, 2005, 01:54 PM

Hello!

I'm on a TiBook (screams of jealousy i know, i know!!) G4 1Ghz 512Mb 60Gb 64Mb. Updated to 10.3.9 a few days ago, and ever since -i think this was the event, the CPU at seemingly random times sticks on 100 utilisation. Activity Monitor reports, at the bottom with the picture, that indeed CPU = 100% used, mostly by the user. But, in the process window, there are no processes using anwhere near the reported amount of CPU.....? This can only be solved by rebooting.. any ideas as the sound of the fan is becoming somewhat infuriating!?

TIA.

ibook_steve
May 2, 2005, 12:21 AM

There has to be something using the CPU. Did you click "% CPU" to organize processes by CPU usage? That usage has to go somewhere. And how much hard disk space do you have free?

Steve

webb3201
Senior User
May 2, 2005, 02:37 PM

Have you tried logging in as another user to see if the CPU usage is the same?
Read my MacWebb column and other great Mac articles at Lowendmac.com

Owner of a MacBook Pro and various other Macs.

OldCodger73
May 2, 2005, 03:51 PM

Have you set Activity Monitor to show "all processes" rather than just "my processes"?
PM G5 Dual 2.5, 3.5GB RAM, 160GB & 250GB HDs, Formac 17" FPD, 20" Dell 2005FPW
TiBook 867 1GB RAM, 80GB HD, Formac 20" FPD
PM G4 Dual 450; 1.25GB RAM, 30GB & 80 GB HDs

cyberwarrior  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 4, 2005, 03:18 AM

Slightly embarrasing! I did not set the viewer to all processes..

I have been waiting for it to do it again before replying.. so now that it has, the guilty process is
lookupd it is a root process with 3-4 threads and using ALL of the spare processing power, so i have 100% constant utilisation.

When i was a PC chap (before i got my B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L PowerBook) i found Black Viper's website to be useful, where he describes the processes that are running so you can choose what to shutdown. Is there a similar optimisation guide for OS X? I have 57 processes running -this seems far too many, though i only have knowledge of Windows OS.. i am a 'power consumer' OS X user!

Many thanks.

Forum Links
Forum Rules