Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Few Questions from a Mac Newbie...

Few Questions from a Mac Newbie...
Pr0c32
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 3, 2005, 02:07 AM

1. What is a Pismo? I see the word around here and I'm not sure what it is...

2. How do I prevent the Powerbook from heating? I sit with it in bed a lot and it seems to heat quite often.

3. For those who have Tiger, how much better is it than Panther and is it worth purchasing?

ericssonboi
Dedicated MacNNer
May 3, 2005, 02:30 AM

1. Pismo is one of the older PBs... The one before the Titanium series.. i beleive they are equiped with G3's.

2. What PB do you have? Download ActivityMonitor.. to see how much the CPU is being used... as long as its not always at 100% .. then your ok. PBs have been known to be a little hot..

3. Its for its features ... read up on it more from other users..
15" 2.33 MBP 2GB Ram, 120GB HD - Main Rig

bstone
Mac Elite
May 5, 2005, 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by Pr0c32
1. What is a Pismo? I see the word around here and I'm not sure what it is...
Also called the Powerbook Firewire. First Powerbook to come with dual USB and dual Firewire, lacking SCSI. Shipped with a G3 processor clocked at 400 or 500mhz.

Has a cult following. Features include very upgradable (RAM, HD, processor, Airport, DVD burner), dual expansion ports.

Very sleak design. I wrote an article on it, here
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

cyberwarrior
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 5, 2005, 05:04 AM

2. If the laptop is on the bed covers then you are insulating it on the bottom, where a huge amount of the heat is normally dispelled. Place it on a hard surface like an A4 hard-backed note pad. I put mine on my black & red when in bed! (wow, that could be a new partnership slogan..)(c) just in case

urrl78
Mac Enthusiast
May 5, 2005, 08:51 AM

Since you are a newbie I would stick with Panther for a while. It is just as dependable and practically as fast in most situations. I am a longtime user and am still waiting for a viable reason to switch. Untill there is a considerable speed increase in performing tasks (not just opening applications) I will stick with Panther.

KenDallas
May 5, 2005, 11:02 AM

Well... I only have a suggestion for number 2 on your list.

I myself use my new Powerbook in the bed quite a bit and had noticed that the bottom got very hot. After doing some reason and learning that no single process was keeping the CPU hot I realized that in general Powerbooks run hotter than their PC counterparts. Since I had moved over from the PC side, initially it bothered me.

Having said that, most of the time I use my Powerbook on a desk so its not that much of an issue, and for times when I have to have it in my lap I have found a great product... here is a link to their page. I have very much enjoyed using iLap and highly recommend to anyone.

http://www.raindesigninc.com/ilap.html

Forum Links
Forum Rules