Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > Adding internal BT to G5

Adding internal BT to G5
t500
Forum Regular
Mar 3, 2005, 12:46 AM

Today on XLR8 there is a company that sells the Apple internal Blue Tooth modual for the G5 Power Macs. Has anyone installed this item? Can I use my Airport Antenna in the BT port on the back?

Can you change the boot drive (While Starting up) with a BT Keyboard? or do I have to plug in the USB one?

If I can do this internal card I may ditch the wires.

Jerr

southtdi
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 3, 2005, 03:54 PM

You can install it. If you have a little internal PC knowledge it isn't that hard to do you just need to take your time. Is this company selling the antenna too? The wring between the module and the back of the case is present on every single PowerMac G5. You just need to plug it into the card but first you have to remaove teh modem module so you can route the cable under it. After that mount the module, and screw it down then install the antenna.

Yoiu have to use teh BT antenna there is no way around it. Accessing another drive at startup i am not sure about. Maybe but I would keep a wired keybaord around just in case.
- TiBook 867mhz
- Rev. A Dual 2.0ghz PowerMac G5, 3 Gigs Ram, Dual Dell 24" displays.
- Imac G4 20" with 1 Gig of ram

southtdi
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 7, 2005, 02:29 PM

Just a FYI www.cgnusa.com carries the internal parts as well as the antenna for a very reasonable price.
- TiBook 867mhz

ThisGuy
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2005, 03:02 PM

anybody know how to tweak the internal BT for a PowerBook to fit in a G5?

t500  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 9, 2005, 08:13 PM

Thanks for the tip. I placed my order. I wish I would have knew about this sight first. I could have bought the kit with screws..

Anyay thanks again for the site, I'll keep that one in my bookmarks.

I know I've see someone mount an external BT dongle inside a Powerbook (or was it an ibook.) My power book came with it bulit in so I never followed up...Happy Hunting.

southtdi
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 10, 2005, 04:07 PM

Yeah, I was happy to find that site a while back. Was even happier when I found out they had the internal BT parts.
- TiBook 867mhz

t500  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 20, 2005, 01:21 AM

I just finished installing the Bluetooth adapter in my g5. It works great. I love the apple keyboard (wireless).i Cant wait to pick up a 2 button blue tooth mouse. I better go check the forums....

Forum Links
Forum Rules