Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 2nd 15 al and white spots AGAIN

2nd 15 al and white spots AGAIN (Page 2)
Thread Tools
PJW
Forum Regular
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: San Antonio
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 11, 2003, 07:40 PM
 
Just chiming in with my own problem. I've got a Rev. A 12" that has a small white spot in bottom middle part of the screen. I've only had the one so far, and I thought it was just because of the fact that I put it in my bag with all of my heavy college books. I've got in a sleeve, but the books might still be exerting enough pressure on it to cause some slight screen warping.
Your services as a citizen, we regret to inform you, are no longer required.
     
Adam Lynch
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Aug 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 11, 2003, 10:18 PM
 
On IBM ThinkPads that have been stacked in a pile. We have a few piles of old T20's at work, and the ones on the bottom have the exact same white spots people have described in this thread.

Just adding to the pile of comments.
     
mdewberry
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Sep 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 13, 2003, 12:42 AM
 
Originally posted by Lorinserbenz:
the difference in quality between the 17 inch and the 15 inch AL is VERY noticeable. They Keyboard on the 17 feels better and all of the keys are level unlike all three 15 inch Al's I had. I think the 15 inch Als were rushed into production.
Hey Lorinserbenz,

Funny you should mention that about the keyboard. I have sent my 15" Albook back three times for the keyboard (and also because of the white spots). The keyboard has way too much flex in it on the right side and is mushy. I thought the new keyboards were supposed to be more solid. As mentioned above, if they cannot fix the keyboard correctly and the white spots appear again, I will most likely push to upgrade to the 17" Albook. It will be worth the extra $400 to stop this aggrevation (and get a bigger screen that works!)
     
nit_etc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Oct 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 13, 2003, 06:50 AM
 
To all those who have these 'white spots': It is obvious that this a a major manufacturing defect. Even after repair, these spots seem to be reappearing. Please take the time to sign the following petition:

http://www.petitiononline.com/applelcd/petition.html

Thankyou.
     
Lorinserbenz  (op)
Forum Regular
Join Date: Apr 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 13, 2003, 04:44 PM
 
Originally posted by mdewberry:
Hey Lorinserbenz,

Funny you should mention that about the keyboard. I have sent my 15" Albook back three times for the keyboard (and also because of the white spots). The keyboard has way too much flex in it on the right side and is mushy. I thought the new keyboards were supposed to be more solid. As mentioned above, if they cannot fix the keyboard correctly and the white spots appear again, I will most likely push to upgrade to the 17" Albook. It will be worth the extra $400 to stop this aggrevation (and get a bigger screen that works!)
The difference in quality between the17 and 15 is VERY VERY noticable. The 17 feels solid whereas the 15 had flex and occasionaly made creaking noises while handling it. The keyboard did not feel solid on the 15 and the mouse button made a horrible clicking sound.
What disturbs me is my Rev A 17 unit had the same quality as the Rev B 17 I know have. I heard very few issues about the 17, maybe thats because it took so long to release. You would thinnk in the time it Apple to release the 1 new 15 it would be perfect.
     
jenmarsh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Oct 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 17, 2003, 02:44 PM
 
Originally posted by nit_etc:
To all those who have these 'white spots': It is obvious that this a a major manufacturing defect. Even after repair, these spots seem to be reappearing. Please take the time to sign the following petition:

http://www.petitiononline.com/applelcd/petition.html

Thankyou.
Signed it! Apple needs to do something about this!
     
WhtKnight
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Tucson, AZ
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 17, 2003, 04:11 PM
 
I just sent my Powerbook 15" back today to apple for a new screen. They also told me that if this is a major problem which it seems to be. Anyone who has posted something here please post it on the Apple website under support. They told me the more they know and have more incidents of it could be officially declared either a product replacement or instant fix. It would also lead to apple finding out why this happens. As in new top cover as well. They took mine back just ok and said yes we will fix it for you. If your machine is working properly just have them fix it. You don't need a new replacement
~Stephen
     
TimBray
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Oct 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 17, 2003, 05:46 PM
 
I have spots. I looked at the pix posted in the forum, and everybody's spots are in the same place, mine too. So this is definitely an upstream manufacturing screw-up. Gonna cost Apple a few bucks I'd think.
     
Nephron
Forum Regular
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 17, 2003, 10:52 PM
 
Count me as one. 3 white spots, and the right side of my screen is darker than the left

I have a service call in at Apple. Next week the computer goes in for a fix.

     
Rickag
Junior Member
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Arlington, Texas, USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 18, 2003, 12:01 PM
 
This is very disconcerting. I just ordered a 15" Powerbook on 10/16.

I hope the 7-10 days shipping does mean Apple is aware of the problem and has a solution.

Very curious that it doesn't appear in the 17" model. Wonder if the 15" screens were supplied by a different vendor?
Just waiting to be included in one of Apple's target markets.
     
mdewberry
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Sep 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 18, 2003, 12:25 PM
 
Originally posted by Lorinserbenz:
I did have to pay the difference, which at this point did not matter because I was tired of all the hassle, now my credit card is maxed
What bugs me is I had a 17 inch revA and NEVER had a problem. Build quality was excellent and the screen was perfect. i guess the 15 inch Al's are built in a different plant where the quality control is not good.
Hi Lorinserbenz,

Just received my 15"Albook back from Apple Care (they had it a week and a half). Here is what they did:
* replaced the keyboard (again)
* replaced the top area (where the palms rest) to help the keyboard sit flush
* replaced the LCD screen (for the white spot issue)
* replaced the hard drive (I have no idea why - they would not tell me)

Well, the keyboard is even worse!! It is still very mushy around the same area (between the I-M keys and H-L keys, however the page up/down/left/right keys are bubbled, and you can actually here them pop into place when I press them. This is awful!!!! I cannot deal with the poor quality of this product anymore. Not to mention, when Apple Care replaced the hard drive, they did not configure it with IDVD, Quickbooks, Omni Graffle, etc. Total incomplete job. I am so frustrated with always getting excited about my Powerbook coming back from Apple Care, and having things continually wrong with it.

I am going to call Customer Relations on Monday, and plead for either an upgrade to the 17", or a refund and I will go back to a Dell. I am hoping that they will work with me on the 17".

You were so right in your message about the quality of the 15"Al. Very disappointing job by Apple!!!!!!!!!!!
     
Hal9000.1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Oct 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 18, 2003, 12:34 PM
 
I've had the same problem on an 867 Ti. I called support to see if they could offer some insight into the problem, but to no avail. I will be sending it back this week or so, to probably get it back with the same problem. Since I bought my PB right before the release of the new Al15, I am sure the modified displays, have some moisture problem (as the problem gets worse as the days progress).
     
hl_keyboard
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Boston, MA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 18, 2003, 02:37 PM
 
I have the same 4 whitespots in the diamond shape around my screen, and will bee stopping by the Apple Store tonight to see if there is a fix. Untill today i thought it might have been something I did wrong but now I'm pissed. This needs to be resolved or I'm going back to PC's, I didn't buy a VPR matrix because of all the problems and the equally mushy keyboard, and it was only 1000 bucks for a 2.2ghz 15 inch.

I paid double for better, not same.
Thanks in advance.
     
machem
Forum Regular
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Great Central Valley
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 18, 2003, 03:24 PM
 
Y'know, I just don't get this "there is a defect with the PB so I'm going back to a Wintel machine" attitude.

That will sure teach you.

If you are that ready to go back to a Win machine, run, don't walk. And be happy. Don't forget to not write.

I understand frustration with defects on a brand new machine (really, I do), but this attitude just makes no logical sense.
     
RealMac
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Dallas, TX
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 18, 2003, 03:52 PM
 
I wiped all my data off my 2nd 15" 1GHz unit and got a replacement without any cost to me. I truly hope this is the last time I have to go back to the Apple store for a repair.

The store is close to my house and the genii there were very understanding.

As a bit of background:

PowerBook 1 - Airport extreme connector damaged. Card would not properly sit in the socket. Came back to the store the day after I purchased it.

PowerBook 2 - White Spots. Thought they were going to send it in repair for a new one, but I got a replacement!

I'm on my third replacement powerbook (made each of the returns within 10 days of my original / replacement). Otherwise the machines would have needed to get shipped out.
It is in the moments of decision that your destiny is shaped.
www.therealmac.net
MBA Graduate, Creative Thinker, Nice Guy
     
C-Bear
Forum Regular
Join Date: Aug 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 18, 2003, 03:53 PM
 
Originally posted by machem:
Y'know, I just don't get this "there is a defect with the PB so I'm going back to a Wintel machine" attitude.
Agreed. While there is definitely a case of RevisionA-itis with the new 15"s and the appropriate ensuing complaints, I'm starting to catch the distinct whiff of trolls every so often.
When the wine is bitter, become the
wine
     
art_director
Professional Poster
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Minneapolis, MN U.S.A.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 18, 2003, 04:44 PM
 
after reading this thread i took my 15" AL to the apple store to check out the three white spots on my screen. they are in the exact same places as those in one jpeg earlier in this thread. a pleasant fellow the genius bar told me it needed to be sent in for a new screen. he said they call the white blotches "pooling" and that it could be the screen and or the video card. if the video card is involved they would need to replace the logic board since the video card is soddered to it.

i also told him i have not been able to start up from a CD. he helped me reset the open firmware bu that did not resolve the problem. he assured me apple care would look into the problem when it's in for the other repairs.

is this a bummer? sure, but i'm not going to swear off apple because there are a few glitches. face it, folks, this is a rev a machine. anyone knows that can mean a hicup or two. relax, apple care will take care of eveything. and don't let this spoil the apple experience.
     
elvis2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Jan 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 18, 2003, 06:09 PM
 
Originally posted by C-Bear:
Agreed. While there is definitely a case of RevisionA-itis with the new 15"s and the appropriate ensuing complaints, I'm starting to catch the distinct whiff of trolls every so often.
That combined with the very high standards of Mac users. The typical joe buying a Toshiba might ignore issues that Mac users would hang Steve jobs for.

Macs are purchased by many for build quality and aesthetic value. So when a new highly anticipated machine fails to deliver - even slightly - expect complaining.

That said - my 15" is perfect on Day 2. And I'm very impressed with Panther. I expect this machine to last 2-3 years, so it better stay perfect!
     
elvis2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Jan 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 18, 2003, 06:13 PM
 
Originally posted by art_director:
[B]he said they call the white blotches "pooling" and that it could be the screen and or the video card. if the video card is involved they would need to replace the logic board since the video card is soddered to it.
No way its the Mobility 9600, otherwise we would be hearing the same things about new 17" machines. I've seen "pooling" from a video card -- and this ain't it. When from the video card you would see splotches of blurriness, not these whitespots. And besides, it only occurs on analog connections.
     
PoisonTooth
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Oct 2002
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 18, 2003, 06:32 PM
 
Originally posted by machem:
Y'know, I just don't get this "there is a defect with the PB so I'm going back to a Wintel machine" attitude.

That will sure teach you.

If you are that ready to go back to a Win machine, run, don't walk. And be happy. Don't forget to not write.

I understand frustration with defects on a brand new machine (really, I do), but this attitude just makes no logical sense.
Um, there's no other OSX choice, so if someone is unhappy with Apple hardware or has doubts as to its quality, the only other alternative is to look at x86.

In other news, because of all of the 15" problems, I'm holding off my purchase of a 15" PB, a dual G5, and a cinema display. I'm dumping a ThinkPad T40 in the process, which is a VERY well-built machine. I have no intetion of getting into a laptop rife with revision one problems, thanks very much.
     
technohedz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Jul 2000
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 18, 2003, 07:42 PM
 
I don't have a 15" and my 12"al doesn't exhibit the white spots, but my pismo has developed what looks like the same type of spots, only on the top of the screen. The fact that people receive new machines that develop them could point to a few things. As does flexing the back of the screen. As I can't tell if the spots are on the front of the display I'd make one recommendation for people who receive new machines (and it can't hurt). Clean the screen w/ a soft cloth using nothing but distilled water if you have to. I'm thinking that if some of these are on the surface it could be late damage from residual manufacturing/shipping chemicals or it could be emitted chemicals (I think it was the mirror door g4's w/ the strong smell for weeks).
     
WhtKnight
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Tucson, AZ
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 18, 2003, 09:50 PM
 
Originally posted by mdewberry:
Hi Lorinserbenz,

Just received my 15"Albook back from Apple Care (they had it a week and a half). Here is what they did:
* replaced the keyboard (again)
* replaced the top area (where the palms rest) to help the keyboard sit flush
* replaced the LCD screen (for the white spot issue)
* replaced the hard drive (I have no idea why - they would not tell me)

Well, the keyboard is even worse!! It is still very mushy around the same area (between the I-M keys and H-L keys, however the page up/down/left/right keys are bubbled, and you can actually here them pop into place when I press them. This is awful!!!! I cannot deal with the poor quality of this product anymore. Not to mention, when Apple Care replaced the hard drive, they did not configure it with IDVD, Quickbooks, Omni Graffle, etc. Total incomplete job. I am so frustrated with always getting excited about my Powerbook coming back from Apple Care, and having things continually wrong with it.

I am going to call Customer Relations on Monday, and plead for either an upgrade to the 17", or a refund and I will go back to a Dell. I am hoping that they will work with me on the 17".

You were so right in your message about the quality of the 15"Al. Very disappointing job by Apple!!!!!!!!!!!
Ok well first off they will not configure your system back to how you sent it in. They do not have your restore CD, which you can simply put back in and restore your system. The agents in Apple Care have a basic install CD. As for the keyboard well from what I can recall they could have replaced the hard drive because I believe it sits under that portion of the keyboard. As for the keys being bubled. Thats something they shouldn't have overlooked,and honestly the product is not poor quality. It is definetly higher quality then a dell by any means and you know everyone at some point in time has to deal with a rotten apple (no pun intended) once in a while. Hell my original iBook that I sent in to get fixed because of a bad LCD, they lost it. So they sent me a new one that was faster and more frills since the iBook went through a revision. Just have some patience
     
RGray02
Junior Member
Join Date: Sep 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 18, 2003, 10:59 PM
 
Wait, before everyone declares the latest powerbooks an abysmal failure, I think that I should relate my experience. Especially since these things get blown WAY out of proportion, and a single bad experience tends to outweigh hundreds of good experiences. I can see this because i only seem to post when I have problems.

I picked up a 15" 1Ghz model last saturday, and I have had absolutely NO problems whatsoever. Ive done a pixel check last week when I first received it, and another since Ive read this post, and I just dont see this problem. Ive also looked at my keyboard, and I havent found anything wrong either, in fact, I'd have to say the build quality of this powerbook is WAY higher than my old Wallstreet G3. Maybe Im lucky, I dont know, but I think that people holding off on it for this defect might be making a mistake. Im sure the RevB models will have some other problem, every machine does.

On another note, I dont usually pack up my powerbook and tote it around, so I dont end up closing the lid all too often. I dont even put the machine to sleep.

This thread was overly negative, especially for machines that I believe are very worthy of dollars. Hopefully, I wont have problems in the future, otherwise Ill join in on this thread.

just my two cents.
http://www.****microsoft.com - "Free your mind, and your OS will follow"
     
gregorypierce
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Oct 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 18, 2003, 11:12 PM
 
I'lll throw in my 2 cents here as well. Clearly it appears that Apple had some issue early in the processing of the new 15" 1.25s somehow and i think that had a lot to do with why the 'second' shipment was so incredibly late. I picked mine up from an Apple store last week and it has had no issues of any kind with either white spots or latch issues. It does have one dead pixel and another which seems to be dead sometimes and not other times.

I'll wait for a while to take this one back to the Apple folks to take a look at the screen. I want them to make sure they get the kinks out before I give it to them for a week or so.
     
machem
Forum Regular
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Great Central Valley
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 18, 2003, 11:13 PM
 
Originally posted by PoisonTooth:
Um, there's no other OSX choice, so if someone is unhappy with Apple hardware or has doubts as to its quality, the only other alternative is to look at x86.
Ummmmmmm... there are other machines out there, other PowerBooks. My point is that you're throwing the baby out with the bathwater. "I didn't really want that PowerBook anyway! So there!"


In other news, because of all of the 15" problems, I'm holding off my purchase of a 15" PB, a dual G5, and a cinema display. I'm dumping a ThinkPad T40 in the process, which is a VERY well-built machine. I have no intetion of getting into a laptop rife with revision one problems, thanks very much.
That's the attitude I would expect. I think it's OK now anyway, like I said, suckers like me have exposed the bugs and made things safe for suckers like you.
     
elvis2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Jan 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 19, 2003, 12:44 PM
 
Originally posted by elvis2000:

That said - my 15" is perfect on Day 2. And I'm very impressed with Panther. I expect this machine to last 2-3 years, so it better stay perfect!
Meant to say "impressed with Jaguar" -- no Panther yet!
     
alkol
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Oct 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 19, 2003, 12:58 PM
 
Very curious that it doesn't appear in the 17" model. Wonder if the 15" screens were supplied by a different vendor? [/B]
I don't want to discourage you, but my 4-months-old PB 17" has 3 white spots. I'm not too concerned about them, since they are mostly seen on a pure white background and really stick out if you look at a certain angle, about 30 degrees.

The CPU was killing me with some high-frequency whistle for several days. It helped to run something CPU-consuming to get rid of it. Finally, I realized that I had some stupid game in the background which was apparently the reason.

So don't run your 1GHz G4 at 32.5% CPU utilization )

The last, but probably the most noticeable issue is the Alu screen frame scratching the body around the keyboard, when closed. After 4 months I ended up with some not-so-good-looking grey stains around the screen, but they don't grow anymore.

Apart of that I'm totally happy
Alexei
     
filmmaker2002
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 19, 2003, 02:59 PM
 
Well, I got my FOURTH Powerbook today (Apple will be hearing from me) after my thrid one had a screw lodged in the rear casing and of course dreaded white spots. According to the guy at the store, Apple will be recalling the 15" screens and replacing them for customers who want a replacement. Apparantley, Apple is well aware of the situation and is addressing it hopefully..
It's just an ordinary day and it's all your
state of mind, at the end of the day, you
just gotta say it's alright!
     
ebernet
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Oct 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 19, 2003, 04:04 PM
 
I have a new 15", and it has the white spots...
However, so did my tibook.
I don't think it is an LCD defect, but rather how it is mounted in the unit. You can send it in 50 times, but the problem will always come back until they come up with a different mounting method.
Instead of us badgering Apple, and sending in our units to have nothing constructive done, and waste their money - we wait until they figure a way to mount the screen so as the pressure on the screen is equal everywhere. Once they have resolved the issue, they will fix ours, and not have an issue with future ones. Until then, we are just wasting our time (and going without powerbooks). Give it a few weeks - it will shake out, and they will take care of us all.
Eytan
     
dchiang
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Sep 2000
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 19, 2003, 04:17 PM
 
My TiBook (Gigabit Ethernet, Mar 2002) has several white spots also....they developed after several months. I thought it was due to normal use and it didn't occur to me to get it repaired. Have other TiBook users observed these also?
     
PoisonTooth
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Oct 2002
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 19, 2003, 05:13 PM
 
Originally posted by filmmaker2002:
Well, I got my FOURTH Powerbook today (Apple will be hearing from me) after my thrid one had a screw lodged in the rear casing and of course dreaded white spots. According to the guy at the store, Apple will be recalling the 15" screens and replacing them for customers who want a replacement. Apparantley, Apple is well aware of the situation and is addressing it hopefully..
Cool news. I'm ready to pull the trigger on a new PB, a dual G5, and a cinema display, but I'd like to see how the PB display issues shake out. Plus, I'll get Panther installed by default, and that's not a bad thing.
     
jcam
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: NY
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 19, 2003, 05:34 PM
 
Well guess what...yet another PB 15 customer with white spots. I had 3 of them and they formed over the past 2-3 weeks I think. I receved my new powerbook end of Setptember. Today I brought it back to the Apple store near me and they said they would ship it back to Apple for repair. I would likely receive it back by the end of the week. Honestly, I thought they were my fault but after my reading MacNN I learned better.

By the way do you all realize that there are no business briefcases available for the NEW 15 PB? I bought a beautiful leather brief from INCase Designs...but the sleeve is too tight. Then I went to the Apple Store and tried one from Brenthaven....also too small.

Any suggestions for a clean brief that's not too bulky...preferably leather?
     
offbalance
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Oct 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 19, 2003, 06:40 PM
 
well it's good to hear apple is aware and addressing the white spots because...i finally got the spots!! woohoo!! it was only a matter of time. it's been just under 2 weeks and the typical diamond shape is starting to form. yeah life is good....
     
rhigginbo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Los Angeles, CA USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 19, 2003, 08:55 PM
 
When Apple outsourced the manufacture of the 12" and 17" machines, the results were quite good. The rumour is that Compal Electronics of Taiwan are making the 15" machines. Is the same company making the 12" and 17" Powerbooks? From what I have been reading on the board, I doubt it.
     
Chunderkat
Junior Member
Join Date: Aug 2000
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 19, 2003, 09:04 PM
 
my sig other and i each received our pbs on oct 9th and since then my unit has 3-5 spots, and hers has 9+!

we both have case numbers and are getting ours replaced, but we have to wait until monday morning as the department that handles DOA is closed over the weekend.

good luck to everyone.

does anyone know how the DOA works? Do we have to send in our current computers in first before we get our replacements? i'd hate to be without a pb for a few weeks.
     
machem
Forum Regular
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Great Central Valley
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 19, 2003, 11:01 PM
 
Originally posted by Chunderkat:
my sig other and i each received our pbs on oct 9th and since then my unit has 3-5 spots, and hers has 9+!

we both have case numbers and are getting ours replaced, but we have to wait until monday morning as the department that handles DOA is closed over the weekend.

good luck to everyone.

does anyone know how the DOA works? Do we have to send in our current computers in first before we get our replacements? i'd hate to be without a pb for a few weeks.
DOAs --- sometimes they will ship you a new one when they get a shipping number of your sendback. You get Apple's account number and drop it off with FedEx or Airborne. Of course, if there are production delays as there seem to be right now (wonder why?), it will take a while.

I just got mine back from repair, so far so good (it has only been three days), but I was without my machine exactly one week, which included three days waiting for parts. The shipping speed when repairs are involved is very good, especially compared to the recent Airborne fiasco.

I believe FilmMaker2002 is on his fourth machine from straight exchanges. I'm happy I got a repair. I'll be happier in two or three weeks if I have no sign of spots returning.
     
iSilver
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 20, 2003, 03:01 AM
 
Apple sales/tech support people continue to deny that there is a problem with the white spots.

I spoke to a Tech support chap about this white spots issue; I told him about the Apple Forum on this topic (which is over 150 posts long) and he told me he hadn't heard of the issue. I suggested that I would email him a URL to the forum but he said he already had one - how could he have a link to this forum but not have heard of the issue??

I was waiting for Panther to be released before I buy my 15" but at this rate I may end up with that Sony Vaio - and that's certainly not the top of my list ...
     
art_director
Professional Poster
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Minneapolis, MN U.S.A.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 20, 2003, 09:02 AM
 
Originally posted by elvis2000:
No way its the Mobility 9600, otherwise we would be hearing the same things about new 17" machines. I've seen "pooling" from a video card -- and this ain't it. When from the video card you would see splotches of blurriness, not these whitespots. And besides, it only occurs on analog connections.
only repeating what an apple rep told me.
     
mdewberry
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Sep 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 20, 2003, 04:49 PM
 
Originally posted by iSilver:
I was waiting for Panther to be released before I buy my 15" but at this rate I may end up with that Sony Vaio - and that's certainly not the top of my list ...
Hi iSilver,

After three shipments of my 15" ALpb to AppleCare to fix the keyboard and the screen from white spots, I have finally given up (the keyboard still stinks). The Genius at the Apple store allowed me to trade up to the 17" pb with a far superior keyboard and screen. (it did cost me $400 but the quality difference is quite noticeable).

FYI - careful with the talk of going to a Sony Vaio. There is a member here named Machen who is quite defensive about Apple computers, and will call you a troll for even mentioning the possibility of going with a PC over an Apple... god forbid! We are just talking about computers here, right?

All kidding aside, if you have the extra $400 - go with the 17", and you will have a nicer machine without the issues (growing pains) of the new 15".

Good luck!

Mike
     
jsd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Orange, CA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 20, 2003, 05:06 PM
 
I had the white spots and took my machine in to the Apple Store to have it looked at. They didn't want to swap it but they recommeded a nearby repair shop. I got mine back from a rush repair job today. The servicer actually completely broke the display on the first repair (the backlight wouldn't light) but they were able to correct that issue.

I have heard that the problem can recur even on replaced screens. I hope this does not happen, because it's terribly difficult to go running around getting my computer fixed. I missed class today because of it!
( Last edited by jsd; Oct 20, 2003 at 06:43 PM. )
     
machem
Forum Regular
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Great Central Valley
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 20, 2003, 05:39 PM
 
Originally posted by mdewberry:
Hi iSilver,

FYI - careful with the talk of going to a Sony Vaio. There is a member here named Machen who is quite defensive about Apple computers, and will call you a troll for even mentioning the possibility of going with a PC over an Apple... god forbid! We are just talking about computers here, right?

All kidding aside, if you have the extra $400 - go with the 17", and you will have a nicer machine without the issues (growing pains) of the new 15".

Good luck!

Mike
If you are talking about me, you are mistaken. I never called anyone here a troll. I did say recently that I don't understand someone's disappointment with the build quality of a 15" AlBook turning into a threat to go back to a PC. If you really prefer a PC to an Apple, more power to you. You know what you want, which is more than I can say about more people.

If you want to find people cursing any mention of PCs in this (or any other mac-centric) forum, you merely need to spit. I am not one of them.

Cheers
     
spatterson
Mac Elite
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Reno, Nevada
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 20, 2003, 09:53 PM
 
Originally posted by iSilver:
Apple sales/tech support people continue to deny that there is a problem with the white spots.

I spoke to a Tech support chap about this white spots issue; I told him about the Apple Forum on this topic (which is over 150 posts long) and he told me he hadn't heard of the issue. I suggested that I would email him a URL to the forum but he said he already had one - how could he have a link to this forum but not have heard of the issue??

I was waiting for Panther to be released before I buy my 15" but at this rate I may end up with that Sony Vaio - and that's certainly not the top of my list ...
Talked to a guy at the Apple store today and he said that he was told not to speak about it...Hum...Anyways he told me to talk to the Mac Genius about it...however there were about 5 people ahead of me. Next time I head over there I will pick their brains.
     
mdewberry
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Sep 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 20, 2003, 10:17 PM
 
Originally posted by machem:
If you are talking about me, you are mistaken. I never called anyone here a troll. Cheers
Whoops, Sorry Machem! I mistook you for someone else in this very long post!

Actually, a Dell is the last place I want to go. I just spent the evening walking around Comp USA and Best Buy, and the PC laptops that are out there just can't measure up to the PB.

I did get frustrated with the problems of the 15", but LOVE the new 17"!
     
machem
Forum Regular
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Great Central Valley
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 20, 2003, 10:39 PM
 
'saright. My wife has a Dell laptop (3100? 6100 Inspiron?) that her job gave her. I sat at it last night to proofread something for her. It felt tall and high. Well, it was.

To give credit where credit is due, XP is more user-friendly than any Win9x-2000 previous.

My wife doesn't touch the Dell unless it is work-related, though. She has a 12" iBook for her fun use.
1.25GHz 1024M SD 15" AlBook
     
Chunderkat
Junior Member
Join Date: Aug 2000
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 20, 2003, 10:52 PM
 
took all day, but after taking with apple for 4 hours, backing up files, packing up my pb, and my fiancee's and finally driving computers to fedex,

two new powerbooks are on the way.

i can't do this again. i'm a student, and i can't afford to spend an entire day which could have been used studying to mess around with returns. i did manage to coax a hundred bucks discount off of each pb.

on or before 11/3 is the official word, (7-10 cause of CTO), but they said that since it's a replacement, these two machines should be bumped to the head of the line. we'll see.
     
edwardsx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Johnstown PA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 27, 2003, 02:41 PM
 
I received a 15" aluminum powerbook two weeks ago from an unknown person as a gift. I have one big white spot on the screen and did not know that others were haveing the same problem. Could someone tell me where to call Apple (phone number)to get this thing fixed.

edwardsx
     
kentuckyfried
Senior User
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Bay Area, CA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 27, 2003, 06:32 PM
 
Hey guys...

Anybody attempt to seek a full refund for this repair issue yet?


I just noticed that mine has the dreaded white spot disease on friday when I started loading up an off-white page at work and noticed the bright spots. I will be sending in my 15" for the first time.

to be honest, it's not such a big deal to keep sending this thing back in just as long as you have somebody waiting at home to great Mr. Airborne. It's not such a big problem really, but if I've paid $2200, I sure as hell want to get as close to perfect as possible. To do otherwise is like buying a car with an obvious dent.
I'm PRAYING I won't have to go through 4 or more mailing iterations.


Sad. I was so thinking that the 15" would be similar to the 12" and 17" brothers, I could ignore the curse of the Rev. A machine. I've already gotten burned on my BW g3.
Now I know, and knowing is half the battle!
     
art_director
Professional Poster
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Minneapolis, MN U.S.A.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 27, 2003, 06:54 PM
 
Originally posted by kentuckyfried:
Hey guys...

Anybody attempt to seek a full refund for this repair issue yet?


I just noticed that mine has the dreaded white spot disease on friday when I started loading up an off-white page at work and noticed the bright spots. I will be sending in my 15" for the first time.

to be honest, it's not such a big deal to keep sending this thing back in just as long as you have somebody waiting at home to great Mr. Airborne. It's not such a big problem really, but if I've paid $2200, I sure as hell want to get as close to perfect as possible. To do otherwise is like buying a car with an obvious dent.
I'm PRAYING I won't have to go through 4 or more mailing iterations.


Sad. I was so thinking that the 15" would be similar to the 12" and 17" brothers, I could ignore the curse of the Rev. A machine. I've already gotten burned on my BW g3.


yes, i tried for the refund and apple gave me the middle finger. they've also declared an inability to estimate when i will get my machine back. i brought my machine in on october 19. originally i was told last wednesday, october 22 would likely be the return date. today is october 27 and nada. the repair status for my machine says "no information available".

btw, i also asked for a brand new machine. again, the middle finger.

this is mighty weak customer service, imo.
     
kentuckyfried
Senior User
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Bay Area, CA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 27, 2003, 07:42 PM
 
I'm not surprised they gave you the middle finger. They're not the same Apple of the 80's...today, they're all about being professional, and about business. For this kind of circumstance, they really should be offering refunds b/c these kind of flaws are not acceptable.



Originally posted by art_director:
yes, i tried for the refund and apple gave me the middle finger. they've also declared an inability to estimate when i will get my machine back. i brought my machine in on october 19. originally i was told last wednesday, october 22 would likely be the return date. today is october 27 and nada. the repair status for my machine says "no information available".

btw, i also asked for a brand new machine. again, the middle finger.

this is mighty weak customer service, imo.
Now I know, and knowing is half the battle!
     
Sakino
Senior User
Join Date: Jan 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 27, 2003, 08:13 PM
 
Well as I posted in my other thread, I am now on my second powerbook. Apple decided to be a ****up and send me another 15 inch powerbook with white spots. Yes I am NOT HAPPY....
     
 
Thread Tools
 
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:28 AM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2017 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.,