Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > logging into another mac by wireless connection ?

logging into another mac by wireless connection ?
trip
Forum Regular
May 9, 2005, 01:20 AM

So I ordered a new iMac G5. I'd like to put my old iMac into my basement with the AE base station (connected by cable) while my new G5 connects wireless. Now let me know if this seems ok.... Then I'd like to be able to log into my old iMac from my new one and control it without having to ever go into the basement. So do I need software or something to log into the old mac ?

Please and Thanks.
"The direct use of force is such a poor solution to any problem, it is generally employed only by small children and large nations". --David Friedman

trip  (op)
Forum Regular
May 9, 2005, 10:57 AM

oK I figured out Apple Remote Desktop will do the Job, but I what is the difference between the application and the client. The client is supposedly incuded with Tiger. Yet the Application sells for $299 US. Will the client alone do what I need it to do ? Ok I know it's obvious I don't know much about networking, but any help will do....

Also: are there other cheaper soultions ? I did a quick search on google, yet didn't come up with anything.
"The direct use of force is such a poor solution to any problem, it is generally employed only by small children and large nations". --David Friedman

Forum Links
Forum Rules