Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Beggars & Begging: When Do You Give?

Beggars & Begging: When Do You Give?
Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
May 16, 2005, 01:49 PM

Check out this ad that asks you to send money to a college student.

Would you send money?

Or would you send advice?

Or both?

When do any of you actually give money to someone? Someone on a street corner or someone who is with a legitimate charity?

brapper
Professional Poster
May 16, 2005, 01:52 PM

I give money to street beggars only when I'm caught with jingling pockets...

Randman
Posting Junkie
May 16, 2005, 01:56 PM

I prefer to give money to charitable organizations. Too many people would take money and buy drugs or liquor or gamble with (assuming they're not scamming).
Now, I have given money when outside the US, in places like China and Vietnam (until you get swamped by kids begging for money and you just have to get away from them).

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
May 16, 2005, 01:57 PM

I don't give to street beggars. Baltimore has signs in shop windows explaining that the last time they did a study, they found that none of the beggars were homeless or hungry, they were just looking to get cash for drugs or alcohol. This is easy to test for: when they say they're hungry, tell them you'll bring them a sandwich. They'll scoff.

tooki

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 16, 2005, 02:03 PM

In Berlin, I almost never give anything. It's almost 100% certain that they spend it on drugs or alcohol.

For anybody who is hungry, there are free soup kitchens that provide lunch and dinner for ANYONE. So they can't tell me they're hungry. At the best, they are lazy...

-t

kikkoman
Senior User
May 16, 2005, 02:04 PM

help me! i'm 100K+ in debt

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
May 16, 2005, 02:06 PM

"I prefer to give money to charitable organizations. "

yup because if you give it to anybody else they might buy crack with it. the crack dealer makes money which he uses to abuse other laws like abducting women in columbia, killing rival gang boss's children and the like.

and that college girl is dumb. when i started college i had a credit card but i understood how it worked to a tee. they taught me how that stuff worked in my High School economics class. Further more, percentage rates and the like are further explained with my counselor when i was applying for loans.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 16, 2005, 02:11 PM

Yes, how did she get $17,000 IN DEBT?

WHAT/WHICH credit card company extended her that much?

Seriously, someone out there (college student perhaps) tell me if that is possible - without someone co-signing? I'd really like to know. Because when I was in college the most they gave was like $200 or $500 or maybe $1000 to a college student without a co-signer.

Or are the credit card companies so desperate and greedy now that they are giving out that kind of credit to college students?

Randman
Posting Junkie
May 16, 2005, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Cody Dawg
are the credit card companies so desperate and greedy now that they are giving out that kind of credit to college students?
yes.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

gururafiki
Grizzled Veteran
May 16, 2005, 02:17 PM

If I see someone begging, I'll bring them food, not money.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 16, 2005, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by from website
I have tried numerous sources, even working three jobs!
Yeah, but for how long ?

-t

invisibleX
Mac Elite
May 16, 2005, 02:37 PM

I give based on effort. Wear brand-new cargo pants? $0. Grime under finger-nails, worn out shoes, coat that screams hand-me-down from a hobo, $1.

I think my system is fair. If you're going to basically scam people you gotta put in that extra mile.
-"I don't believe in God. "
"That doesn't matter. He believes in you."

-"I'm not agnostic. Just nonpartisan. Theological Switzerland, that's me."

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 16, 2005, 02:53 PM

I give based on effort. Wear brand-new cargo pants? $0. Grime under finger-nails, worn out shoes, coat that screams hand-me-down from a hobo, $1.

I think my system is fair. If you're going to basically scam people you gotta put in that extra mile.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 16, 2005, 05:37 PM

I give 'em food stamps, never money.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Albert Pujols
Mac Elite
May 16, 2005, 05:43 PM

Atleast in India some of the beggars give you a show, I love throwing money at snake charmers. I used to give beggars the spare change in my pocket, until I went to France and I saw the same damn lady in the metro every day begging for money. She was always wearing somthing different. Thats when I realized some beggars are scum bags.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 16, 2005, 05:46 PM

Hehe, beggars in the metro, that's a special treat.

I remember that 6 or 7 year old kid from somewhere in Eastern Europe, playing his accordion in the Berlin subway. It was horrible, he couldn't play at all, he just hit the keys and made noise. People gave money so he would stop

-t

ReggieX
Professional Poster
May 16, 2005, 05:48 PM

I don't give money to anyone, screw 'em. The occasional street musician if they're playing something I like. This girl has any number of ways out of her problem, but is too stupid to do them. I got myself out of $17,000 in debt a year or two ago.
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 16, 2005, 05:55 PM

I just go on my gut. If they seem like honest down-on-their-luckers, I'll cough up the cash (especially if they're verifiably about to do the thing they're asking for money to do, like buy a sandwich).
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

ghporter
Administrator
May 16, 2005, 09:19 PM

Cody, I hate to be the first to tell you this, but credit card companies are predatory and vicious. They prey on college kids who know ZILCH about managing their money, and they help them get so far into debt they they might never see daylight. This type of marketing is evil, pure and simple. It's also legal, unfortunately.

I might give the girl in the ad money just because she's honest about it. I don't give to beggars on the street-never-because there are far too many social services available for just about any of them to be as bad off as they claim. Like tooki says, money in a street beggar's hands almost always goes to drugs and booze.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

tooki
Admin Emeritus
May 16, 2005, 09:52 PM

I got my first credit card offer (preapproved my butt!) when I was 12.

At my school (a state university), the plastic bags at the bookstore come pre-loaded with ads for magazine subscriptions and credit cards (and acne cream, LOL!).

At my previous school (a private college), there were credit card applications in little displays by the students' mailboxes.

It's pervasive.

tooki

TailsToo
Mac Elite
May 16, 2005, 10:09 PM

Yes, how did she get $17,000 IN DEBT?

WHAT/WHICH credit card company extended her that much?

Seriously, someone out there (college student perhaps) tell me if that is possible - without someone co-signing? I'd really like to know. Because when I was in college the most they gave was like $200 or $500 or maybe $1000 to a college student without a co-signer.

Or are the credit card companies so desperate and greedy now that they are giving out that kind of credit to college students?

This happens all the time! It's easy to get credit today.

andi*pandi
May 16, 2005, 10:35 PM

my college credit card was $800, without a co-signer. I panicked whenever it got over $200. Either she signed herself up for 15 credit cards and is a dumbass, or her parents co-signed for her. Either way, I don't really blame the cc companies. Read the fine print folks.

And gh, don't send her money--there is no way to know that this isn't just a virtual twist on the streetbeggar scam.

ASIMO
Mac Elite
May 16, 2005, 10:59 PM

I give gum.
I, ASIMO.

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
May 16, 2005, 11:14 PM

i never just give money to a moocher on the street...it is either going to just be spent on booze/drugs or it is just another scammer. i've seen several reports of these "pathetic" looking beggars going home to big tv's and expensive apartments/condos. giving to the right charitable org ensures that your help goes where it is really needed.

i have however on occasion tossed some of my loose pocket change into a busker's case...at least they are trying to do something and some of them are quite talented.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

ryaxnb
Grizzled Veteran
May 16, 2005, 11:30 PM

I'd give food, no way money unless I saw the guy there multiple days, with proper lack of good clothes, shoes, etc.
Trainiable is to cat as ability to live without food is to human.
Steveis... said: "What would scammers do with this info..." talking about a debit card number!

ReggieX
Professional Poster
May 16, 2005, 11:36 PM

I had a hard time getting my first credit card, even after university and a few years steady if unremarkable employment. Not until I took out some student loans to take another course did I even get a "yes."
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

trip
Forum Regular
May 17, 2005, 12:33 AM

A beggar once came up to me at the train station and asked for money to buy food. So i went into the store (right aside) and bought $6 worth of food then gave it to him. He even thanked me. Then he went to everyone else at the train station trying to sell the food for money. Nice.

For years I always refused to give beggars money due to this and convinced myself it was better to donate to a fund that would spend the money appropriately, only I never actually gave any money and it was just another thing on my list list of things to do I never got around to doing. Last year I finally set up an automatic monthly withdrawl of $35 from by bank to the charitable fund. Feels so much better saying no to beggars now.
"The direct use of force is such a poor solution to any problem, it is generally employed only by small children and large nations". --David Friedman

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 17, 2005, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter
Cody, I hate to be the first to tell you this, but credit card companies are predatory and vicious. They prey on college kids who know ZILCH about managing their money, and they help them get so far into debt they they might never see daylight. This type of marketing is evil, pure and simple. It's also legal, unfortunately.

I might give the girl in the ad money just because she's honest about it. I don't give to beggars on the street-never-because there are far too many social services available for just about any of them to be as bad off as they claim. Like tooki says, money in a street beggar's hands almost always goes to drugs and booze.
People who are too dumb to realize that they're going to have to repay those loans, with excessive interest added, really deserve what they get. By the time you're in college you should possess a modicum of common sense. Individuals who choose to overextend themselves in that manner get little sympathy from me.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Cipher13
May 17, 2005, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777
In Berlin, I almost never give anything. It's almost 100% certain that they spend it on drugs or alcohol.

For anybody who is hungry, there are free soup kitchens that provide lunch and dinner for ANYONE. So they can't tell me they're hungry. At the best, they are lazy...

-t
Speaking of lazy, heh... all of the bums you see in Sydney simply lay there with a sign explaining their situation. I appreciate the fact that they're not talking to people, bothering them, but FFS, they don't even get off their ass.

I'm sorry, but nothing justifies laying there all day. There are programs which let you do things like sell magazines for a small amount of money. Do that.

No situation is helpless unless you make it so.

And no, I don't give money. If I gave "just a dollar" to every person who asked me, I'd be out a bloody fortune.

badidea
Professional Poster
May 17, 2005, 08:23 AM

The last time I gave money to a beggar was when this guy here in Hamburg gave me a freestyle Rap while walking next to me for about half a mile -> he really earned it and he was way better than most of the crap I see on MTV!

PurpleGiant
Mac Elite
May 17, 2005, 08:57 AM

It really isn't hard to manage a credit card. I had one at 18, I managed not not rack up debt. No-one showed me how to use it either. Aren't I clever?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 17, 2005, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by PurpleGiant
It really isn't hard to manage a credit card. I had one at 18, I managed not not rack up debt. No-one showed me how to use it either. Aren't I clever?
Yeah, it certainly does not take a nuclear physicist to figure credit out.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

ghporter
Administrator
May 17, 2005, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac
People who are too dumb to realize that they're going to have to repay those loans, with excessive interest added, really deserve what they get. By the time you're in college you should possess a modicum of common sense. Individuals who choose to overextend themselves in that manner get little sympathy from me.
Taking advantage of people who have far too much going on in their lives (you DO remember being 18 and on your own for the first time, don't you?) is not only deplorable, it's bad business. It actually reduces what the credit company gets as a return when they have to resort to collection agencies and courts to get anything. If I was a shareholder (I don't invest in companies like that), I'd raise a stink about it. NOBODY deserves to be taken advantage of just because they're young and uneducated.

You may be able to rob him, but you can't cheat an honest man. A person who's looking for something for nothing is ethically challenged anyway, and that makes the con artist's job easier... But NONE of the credit card offers I've seen that are aimed at college students are a con-they're deceptive and full of rhetoric that makes it hard to find the VERY fine print, and they are aimed at people who do not have enough life experience to be able to discriminate between a good deal and a legal scam. The people who DO know the difference are the ones that recycle the ads and offers without ever reading them.

Originally Posted by badidea
The last time I gave money to a beggar was when this guy here in Hamburg gave me a freestyle Rap while walking next to me for about half a mile -> he really earned it and he was way better than most of the crap I see on MTV!
It sounds like you found more of a street performer than a beggar. In contrast to begging, I think musicians and other street performers-the ones that actually perform, not just stand there with an instrument-are working for what they get. I could go broke on a nice day in Jackson Square in New Orleans, because there are SO MANY performers doing such good work. And a block away there are bums who just ask for money...it's sad.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

hart
Senior User
May 17, 2005, 01:57 PM

thought this was a revival of this old thread:

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...ghlight=begger

milf
Mac Enthusiast
May 17, 2005, 02:06 PM

It depends on the situation. Half the times I know my money is going to waste, but other beggars come across as genuine and in serious need of help. If I have the time, I prefer the food route as others have mentioned, but living in DC I haven't the time to pick-up food for everyone I come across. And even if they do use the money for alcohol, let them at least enjoy themselves. They're obviously in a rough situation (for whatever reason) as it is and a few dollars out of my pocket won't break the bank and any inkling of guilt is off my shoulders. This world needs more generousity.
Just my $.02 :-)
Ti Powerbook 1Ghz w/ Superdrive ......and lovin' it! :)

badidea
Professional Poster
May 17, 2005, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
It sounds like you found more of a street performer than a beggar.
He didn't look very healthy and wealthy, that's why I would still call him a beggar...
However, I only give if they do something for it!
One time it was nothing else than one of the worst lies I have ever heard - I had to laugh and that's why this guy "earned" his money!

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
May 17, 2005, 03:43 PM

I can't afford to give. Heck, I'm rather poor believe it or not, but I'm not anywhere begging. (yet).
Why do you guys/gals think I'm on here so much? I'm at the library piggybacking on their broadband, looking for work while posting in these forums. The second I get a job, I'm outa here. Not that I won't miss MacNN... I'd probably post now and again, but nowhere near what I do now.

Oh, almost forgot, send money!

RobOnTheCape
Senior User
May 17, 2005, 05:39 PM

I was coming up from the subway at Kenmore Square in Boston, and at the top of the stairs were a few guys "bummin change". All had a cup or something shaken them or what not. I dug down and grabbed a few quarters from my pocket and once at the top of the stairs dropped them into the nearest guys DunkinDonuts coffee cup. Coffee splashed out onto the guys overcoat. He started getting indignant on me with "hey man..." I replied "you're on a coffee break from bummin change and you're giving me grief?" Food bank got my quakers ever since.

solero
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 17, 2005, 06:29 PM

I give a fixed monthly amount to an organization which promotes growth in the 3. world.

I don't give to organizations that works with Western "lifestyle" diseases.
I don't give to any religious groups.
I don't give to beggars - but to street performers (if I'm entertained)
I wouldn't give to a college student (i'm a college student)

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
May 17, 2005, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by kikkoman
help me! i'm 100K+ in debt
will you take a check?

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2005, 08:05 PM

Isn't it interesting that I posted this thread...and then Nathan from www.helpnathan.com happened to come to our Mac forum.

you guys have too much time! I go to work and come back to see all of this info about me including where i work lol...

I don't have any other website with a G3 and monitor like someone said earlier today...I'm not sure what that's about.

once and for all, I'm not beggin...I just wanted to let people know my site is there if they WANT to help...how is that stealing??? go to my house ...talk to my landlord lol.... it's all true what I've said!

*sigh*
So, should we give Nathan some $$$?

andi*pandi
May 17, 2005, 09:26 PM

appt insurance is only $100/yr.

andi*pandi
May 17, 2005, 09:46 PM

appt insurance is only $100/yr.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2005, 10:09 PM

That's good advice for him, andi*pandi.

A lot cheaper than begging.

Spliff
Mac Elite

Originally Posted by ASIMO
I give gum.
I did that once because I didn't have any change. The homeless dude got really pissed at me. For months afterwards, every time he saw me on the streets in Toronto he'd scream at me. Once I was in a restaurant on Bloor Street, eating at a table next to the window. This bum saw me and started pounding on the glass. Restaurant staff chased him away, but not before he gave me the finger.

I'll never give gum again.

trip
Forum Regular

So, should we give Nathan some $$$?

Absolutley...

NOT!

WTF is with people these days ? Like oh poor me - my car is year old. Can eveyone donate so I can keep up witht the Jones's ? Puullease... give me a break. There are real poor people out on the street. help the 'Have Nots' not the needy. He obviously has a roof over his head and access to a computer to make a fancy webpage.
"The direct use of force is such a poor solution to any problem, it is generally employed only by small children and large nations". --David Friedman

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2005, 10:23 PM

Well, he should give us a police report file number and then I'll donate some money to him out of the goodness of my heart.

HOWEVER, I've been up since about 8:00 AM doing some technical writing and here it is at 10:22 PM EST and I'm STILL working. Work is the way out of life's problems every time. Plus, it builds self-esteem. Begging and borrowing doesn't.

n8r2000
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 17, 2005, 11:46 PM

I was robbed on 01/15/05 (I've had limited computer access since, hence the delay in creating the site)

my report file #HL126882

please no more personal info posted here...

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2005, 11:47 PM

We're not going to post anymore personal info, don't worry.

Hey, thanks for the police report!

BTW, welcome - REALLY WELCOME - to MacNN! You kind of got a hazing coming into this joint, I suppose. But the folks around here are all usually really great - usually.

n8r2000
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 17, 2005, 11:53 PM

I'm curious because I can't seem to find any info online about my report...is there a database somewhere? I'm sure it's quicker to just call but I'd be interested in seeing what it said about my incident. If someone knows where and if posting it would allow everyone to see my personal info, please send it to me in a PM instead

thanks Cody...I wish you could speak for everyone when you say "we're not going to post anymore personal info, don't worry"

Forum Links
Forum Rules