Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > EyeTV and XBMC

EyeTV and XBMC
as2
Mac Elite
May 15, 2005, 08:09 AM

I already have an XBox running XBMC that I use to stream music, videos and photo's to my TV in the living room over my AirPort network, but I am thinking of getting an EyeTV to record TV programs and watch TV on the new iMac i've ordered.

I was hoping to have the option of streaming programs I record in EyeTV to my XBox in the living room, but after speaking to a friend who has an EyeTV already I'm not sure how easy it will be.

I understand that EyeTV has some odd naming structure for recordings, with the recording name, info etc stored in an xml file.

I was wondering if anyone has thought about writing a Python script for XBMC that would parse the EyeTV's xml file, and then allow you to list the recordings by name on the XBox linking to the relevant recording, rather than searching through a bunch of folders and files with names like 0000000008353856/0000000008353856.eyetvr

The other thing, is, the files are saved in MPEG2 format, but given the extension eyetvr. Can XBMC even play these files?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated, as if it's possible I will be attempting to write a python script for the above.

If you have any ideas, suggestions, or experience with Python scripting and would be willing to help with this project then send me a PM.

Adam
[img=http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/1300/desktj.jpg]

trip
Forum Regular
May 15, 2005, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by as2
I already have an XBox running XBMC that I use to stream music, videos and photo's to my TV in the living room over my AirPort network, but I am thinking of getting an EyeTV to record TV programs and watch TV on the new iMac i've ordered.

I was hoping to have the option of streaming programs I record in EyeTV to my XBox in the living room, but after speaking to a friend who has an EyeTV already I'm not sure how easy it will be.

I understand that EyeTV has some odd naming structure for recordings, with the recording name, info etc stored in an xml file.

I was wondering if anyone has thought about writing a Python script for XBMC that would parse the EyeTV's xml file, and then allow you to list the recordings by name on the XBox linking to the relevant recording, rather than searching through a bunch of folders and files with names like 0000000008353856/0000000008353856.eyetvr

The other thing, is, the files are saved in MPEG2 format, but given the extension eyetvr. Can XBMC even play these files?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated, as if it's possible I will be attempting to write a python script for the above.

If you have any ideas, suggestions, or experience with Python scripting and would be willing to help with this project then send me a PM.

Adam
I have no experience in Python, as I only program in LISP.

However, I hear jobs is going to announce both the new 2 button mouse and a new airport express having a video out in early June. If this is true that should solve your problems.

xross your fingers.

edit: also, I wonder if there's a way to use VLC to XBMC from eye tv?
( Last edited by trip; May 15, 2005 at 02:01 PM. )
"The direct use of force is such a poor solution to any problem, it is generally employed only by small children and large nations". --David Friedman

as2  (op)
Mac Elite
May 15, 2005, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by trip
I have no experience in Python, as I only program in LISP.

However, I hear jobs is going to announce both the new 2 button mouse and a new airport express having a video out in early June. If this is true that should solve your problems.

xross your fingers.

edit: also, I wonder if there's a way to use VLC to XBMC from eye tv?
That sounds great, but the only reason I'm not buying an EyeTV Home is because i've got an XBox which does a perfectly good job anyway. I don't see the point of buying something else to do it.

trip
Forum Regular
May 17, 2005, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by as2
That sounds great, but the only reason I'm not buying an EyeTV Home is because i've got an XBox which does a perfectly good job anyway. I don't see the point of buying something else to do it.
I'm going to give it a whirl and make my xbox into a media center.

Q.

1. Did you use the x.b.i.t. ?
2. Any advice before I go for it ?
3. Think it's possible to use the logitech wireless bluetooth mouse (comes with USB bluetooth basestation) on the xbox?

Please and Thanks,
"The direct use of force is such a poor solution to any problem, it is generally employed only by small children and large nations". --David Friedman

as2  (op)
Mac Elite
May 18, 2005, 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by trip
I'm going to give it a whirl and make my xbox into a media center.

Q.

1. Did you use the x.b.i.t. ?
2. Any advice before I go for it ?
3. Think it's possible to use the logitech wireless bluetooth mouse (comes with USB bluetooth basestation) on the xbox?

Please and Thanks,
I used a cheap mod for my Rev 1 XBox, and although it required a steady hand with the soldering, was very straight-forward to do.

I would highly recommend getting an install DVD from wherever you get the chip, as it makes setting up things a lot easier.

Then I just installed XBMC and set it to auto launch when the chip was enabled.

I have the DVD remote for my XBox, and so use that to control the media center. The thing with using any USB device is that you need to get a port adaptor, and I'm not sure how many are supported unless you install linux (which I have not).

A couple of pieces of advice...

If you've got a friend who has modded their xbox already, speak to them and get them to help, or advise when choosing a chip.

Upgrade the internal HD if you can, as downloading programs to the internal HD fills it up quickly.

Don't mod your xbox if you use xbox live! It will get banned. I have 2 XBoxes, one as a media center, and the other for Live.

Hope that helps.

Adam

trip
Forum Regular
May 18, 2005, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by as2
I used a cheap mod for my Rev 1 XBox, and although it required a steady hand with the soldering, was very straight-forward to do.

I would highly recommend getting an install DVD from wherever you get the chip, as it makes setting up things a lot easier.

Then I just installed XBMC and set it to auto launch when the chip was enabled.

I have the DVD remote for my XBox, and so use that to control the media center. The thing with using any USB device is that you need to get a port adaptor, and I'm not sure how many are supported unless you install linux (which I have not).

A couple of pieces of advice...

If you've got a friend who has modded their xbox already, speak to them and get them to help, or advise when choosing a chip.

Upgrade the internal HD if you can, as downloading programs to the internal HD fills it up quickly.

Don't mod your xbox if you use xbox live! It will get banned. I have 2 XBoxes, one as a media center, and the other for Live.

Hope that helps.

Adam
Yep that does, I never knew there were install dvd's available - that would be much easier, and yes good idea to update the HD.

As for getting banned from xboxlive, I read the xbit chip comes with an addtional wire that when soldered in will allow you to switch to and from the new chip to the old.

Thanks,

Forum Links
Forum Rules