Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > post your site

post your site
nashstradamus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 29, 2005, 02:19 AM

post your site in this thread and list the tools you used to accoplish it with and a little background on it if you want. i really would like to start a personal site just hosting stupid pages on things i find intereting, pictures, blog... you get the idea.

id possibly like to look into a career in web development if is as easy as it sounds on a mac. i'd like to see what you guys are capable of to kinda get an idea of what my learning possibilities are with my new powerbook thanks to anyone who posts

Buck_Naked
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 29, 2005, 11:08 AM

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 29, 2005, 04:06 PM

mikecosentino.com

css edit and subethaedit.

just a blog, a very simple board, and photos/flash/drawings/etc.

not _too_ sure of the current design. will be going back to the drawing board soon.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 29, 2005, 04:10 PM

My portfolio, trying to cure some IE bugs with it though.

http://www.bitflydesign.com

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

genevish
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 29, 2005, 05:36 PM

Click the image in my sig for the site. I just throw on anything that I find interesting. The photos are automatically pulled from iPhoto using myPhoto (I host this site on my home computer.) Check the About page for info on most of the site. I started adding a "Why Mac?" page, but it's kinda crappy. I also set up a test site for the Mothers group my wife belongs to (I volunteered to do web development for it).

There's more hidden stuff there I can't remember right now (and I can't SSH to the site from work.)
Scott Genevish
scott AT genevish DOT org

Phil Sherry
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 29, 2005, 07:07 PM

it's reachable through my sig.

i threw the site together when i was writing the book mentioned in the sig, and i really should go back and tidy a few things up. i just don't have any time to spare, what with a day job, side projects, writing another book, partying, etc.

moodymonster
Mac Elite
Mar 31, 2005, 02:20 PM

my first site:

http://www.mobilegamefaqs.com/

uses PHP, MySQL for the backend, bit of javascript and CSS for the frontend (as well as HTML). The menu is done in Flash and dyamically generated for each page based on information PHP supplies into Flash.

created using

subethaedit: http://www.codingmonkeys.de/subethaedit/

freeway (at first): http://www.softpress.com/en

cocoaMySQL (MySQL GUI): http://cocoamysql.sourceforge.net/

If you install the dev tools from the OS X disc, this does somthing that allows you to grab PHP (I used this one: http://www.entropy.ch/software/macosx/php/ ) and MySQL and install them. Once you've done this you can run the mac as a fully fledged webserver and test your sites out - pretty cool.

doing web stuff on the mac is pretty easy and there's lots of stuff out there for the programming parts.

BTW all on a PB

megasad
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 3, 2005, 01:59 AM

Originally posted by nashstradamus:
post your site in this thread and list the tools you used to accoplish it with and a little background on it if you want. i really would like to start a personal site just hosting stupid pages on things i find intereting, pictures, blog... you get the idea.
My Comic Book Library has been online for nearly six years now. Started out using Notepad in Windows 95, now it's BBEdit in OS X. Full details of what I use are on the about page.

I taught myself HTML by looking at the code of other websites and playing around in Notepad. I've yet to try Dreamweaver or GoLive or any other WYSIWYG editor; they seem too complicated. I finally bothered to "learn" XHTML a few weeks ago, and now the comic book library is all compliant XHTML and CSS and such. However, I still use tables for layout, rather than pure CSS, and I know this is not good, but I really dislike how CSS boxes overlap each other, rather than gracefully and dynamically changing size.

Much more work has been produced on PCs than on Macs, but that probably has more to do with moving out of home, leaving school, getting a job and a lady, not having anywhere near the amount of free time to waste on website tinkering that I used to... than anything else.

And whilst I'm here, if anyone knows why the Sign button on my guest book only changes appearance in Safari, not a single other browser, even though it is 100% compliant XHTML, I'd appreciate you telling me.
( Last edited by megasad; Apr 3, 2005 at 02:05 AM. )
BayBook (13" MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD) // BayPhone (iPhone 4, 32GB, black)

Synotic
Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2005, 10:56 AM

Originally posted by megasad:
However, I still use tables for layout, rather than pure CSS, and I know this is not good, but I really dislike how CSS boxes overlap each other, rather than gracefully and dynamically changing size.
Of course it depends on how you code it; I'm sure your tables didn't automatically resize and move around by themselves without a little help . Seeing as I just woke up and don't have anything to do yet, I figured I'd mess around and try to ease your site into using but <div>s and <p>s and all that. 45 minutes later, I came up with this. I developed it solely in Safari; I checked it later in Firefox and it seemed to work. IE:mac 5 and MSIE6 mostly rendered it, except for the navigation, although I wasn't too sure about the technique I was using when I did it. But anyway, that's what you get with little to no testing . At least you can see some of the things that did work: putting blocks of text in paragraphs, the header (mostly), the footer, etc... I have an idea how the navigation could be achieved and perhaps be a bit more cross-platform; I don't know that it'll work, but I could try if you're interested. The reason it isn't straightforward is because CSS isn't too great with 100% vertical-heights. But with a little creative background-color use, you can achieve the same visual effect. So hopefully you see that CSS isn't that inflexible .

MacAtak
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 4, 2005, 02:30 AM

I just bought macatak.net today and threw up a little ditty.

Here's a portfolio of some pages I designed or helped design.

I use SubEthaEdit for all my coding, its pretty much the best text editor ever.

Photoshop and Illustrator for images.

Transmit for FTP

I think that about covers it.

Thus, creating the most ginormous can of whoop ass the world as ever seen.

Mooga2
Forum Regular
Apr 4, 2005, 07:18 PM

What a geekfest we have going on here!

It's always a pleasure seeing sites created by other Mac users. I especially dig the designs by Mike Cosentino and Bitflydesign.

To add to the mix, my website is rasteroids.com.

Layout created using: Dreamweaver
CSS created using: TopStylePro(pc). Great program, keeps the look consisten with the "dark" side.

PHP created using: PageSpinner, the best under-rated Macintosh Application around.

FTP with Transmit.

- Moo!
"He only has one look... it's like I've been taking crazy pills!"

megasad
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 5, 2005, 05:52 PM

Originally posted by Synotic:
Of course it depends on how you code it; I'm sure your tables didn't automatically resize and move around by themselves without a little help . Seeing as I just woke up and don't have anything to do yet, I figured I'd mess around and try to ease your site into using but <div>s and <p>s and all that. 45 minutes later, I came up with this. I developed it solely in Safari; I checked it later in Firefox and it seemed to work. IE:mac 5 and MSIE6 mostly rendered it, except for the navigation, although I wasn't too sure about the technique I was using when I did it. But anyway, that's what you get with little to no testing . At least you can see some of the things that did work: putting blocks of text in paragraphs, the header (mostly), the footer, etc... I have an idea how the navigation could be achieved and perhaps be a bit more cross-platform; I don't know that it'll work, but I could try if you're interested. The reason it isn't straightforward is because CSS isn't too great with 100% vertical-heights. But with a little creative background-color use, you can achieve the same visual effect. So hopefully you see that CSS isn't that inflexible .
Thank you very much! I've shall have a chance to look over your code properly this weekend, but you seem to have done what I thought was impossible; when I make the text larger, it doesn't overlap with all the rest. Why do webite desginers do that? It's a stunningly un-user-friendly thing to do; make it impossible to read your website for people who need large text on their screen so that they can read it. Anyway, as I said, thank you.
BayBook (13" MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD) // BayPhone (iPhone 4, 32GB, black)

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 6, 2005, 05:35 PM

www.nathanredman.com

html & photoshop

nothing on there but my blog that i update maybe twice a week - have to make more time for making some pages.

oh yeah - wordpress for blog

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
May 28, 2005, 04:57 PM

http://www.owlboy.com/ - Blog

• Wordpress 1.51

• Simple PHP Gallery 1.1

• Photoshop 7.01

-Owl

KeyLimePi
Mac Elite
May 31, 2005, 09:48 AM

I'm futzing with a couple sites. The first (as seen in my sig) is www.crabsandbeer.com. The second is www.cruisercontrol.com. Both are sort of 'works in progress,' but are done using:

BTW, I can't take credit for designing either site. Crabs&Beer was designed by my friend & co-creator, and the FJ Cruiser site was based on a design idea someone posted here a while back.

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2005, 08:32 PM

http://homepage.mac.com/jpalmeda/

• Adobe Photoshop 7.0.1
• Nvu 1.0 PR, TextEdit
• Blog powered by iBlog

Stelex
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 17, 2005, 10:48 AM

www.vk4dx.net www.vkcc.com www.dj2mx.com

Frontpage 2003 on Windows
macromedia Fireworks for graphics

Also www.vk4dx.net/mac/

Rapidweaver

I'm a new Mac user, since Jan 2005 so getting there slowly and revving up the DW MX engine ;-)

Phil Sherry
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 17, 2005, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Stelex
I'm a new Mac user, since Jan 2005 so getting there slowly and revving up the DW MX engine ;-)
Yeah, "slowly" is the only way you'll be revving DW MX on a Mac.

PianoMan
Jun 18, 2005, 10:58 PM

http://www.plasticrank.com/

it's still in development, as you can see i don't have a banner title and there are a few issues regarding positioning in IE for win, but other than that it's almost there.

i handed coded the xhtml and css in bbedit until the free trial ran out, then i used textwranger, haha.

i used photoshop to mess about with the pictures on the site.

any feedback, good or bad would be very much appreciated.

quietjim
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 19, 2005, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by mdc
mikecosentino.com

css edit and subethaedit.

just a blog, a very simple board, and photos/flash/drawings/etc.

not _too_ sure of the current design. will be going back to the drawing board soon.
I really like your site, mdc. Nice clean design, loads fast...good job!

Mine is our church site http://www.unitedcongregational.org/
Timex Sinclair . IIe > SE > 6100 >
520c > Pismo > PB 15.2 > MacBook Pro 15.2 2.5 GHz

quietjim
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 19, 2005, 12:22 AM

woops-- forgot the other part of the question: tools. i use Macromedia Studio MX, CSEDit and Subethanet. We've bought GoLive but haven't used it yet.
Timex Sinclair . IIe > SE > 6100 >
520c > Pismo > PB 15.2 > MacBook Pro 15.2 2.5 GHz

LiquidGuy
Jun 19, 2005, 12:42 AM

http://www.digitalrgb.com

Done last year. W3C Valid, if that means anything on a flash site.
Tools: SwishMax, TextEdit, VirtualPC

Currently riding the CSS/XHTML wave. Lovin' it.

CallumM
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 19, 2005, 04:36 AM

http://www.staticreality.co.nz/

site for my web development business..

using SubEthaEdit and CSSEdit for the majority of my coding requirements.

E's Lil Theorem
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2005, 04:29 PM

www.sexytummies.com

Tools:
  • Dreamweaver 2004 MX
  • Photoshop 7
  • Fetch 4
  • TextEdit

A friend of mine did the JS menus using some software, but I'm not sure what the name of it is. Oh, and I listed Dreamweaver, though I only used one of the templates that came with the demo version. Now I used TextEdit for any and all changes.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2005, 01:45 AM

http://www.amake.us
  • Front page blog powered by NanoBlogger
  • HTML, PHP, and CSS written with SubEthaEdit
  • The good graphics were done by much more talented people than I, and the bad ones were done in Gimp.app
  • FTP handled by... ftp! Learn about .netrc to automate transfers

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2005, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by quietjim
I really like your site, mdc. Nice clean design, loads fast...good job!

Mine is our church site http://www.unitedcongregational.org/
thank you very much. i appreciate that a lot.
did you see the new stuff exclamation mark feature?

will show up when you come to the site and there is new stuff and there is a smaller one on the new stuff. javascript and cookies.

sorry for the self advertising, i just love that feature. (and it took me forever to get working)

matrix_x
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 25, 2005, 11:57 AM

www.freerollz.com

It is an online poker freerolls schedule I created a few months ago. It lists poker freerolls from most of the major online poker rooms. I created it because I enjoy online poker but am too cheap to every deposit real money... so I wanted a lits of the freerolls (since they are free) and when/where they are so I can play whenever I have spare time and am in the mood.

It has grown like mad over the last three months... and now gets piles of hits every day
It is better to remain silent and be considered a fool... then to open your mouth and remove all doubt

SS3 GokouX
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 29, 2005, 06:49 PM

http://navi.mine.nu/new3/

New layout for my current site, which is just a blog, some pictures, and artwork. I've been working on the new layout (and its various evolutions) for over a year now, which had been way too long. It looks fantastic in Safari, and is 99% of the way in Firefox... Win/IE devours it and spits it back up. It would be easier if I had a PC to test with.

"And I will rule you all with an iron fist! You! OBEY THE FIST!" -Invader Zim

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 29, 2005, 09:17 PM

@ss3 gokouX, sleight is a javascript for transparent .png files for ie. there is also sleight_bg, for transparent .png images that are in css backgrounds.

not sure if it will help your ie hassels. just thought i'd tell you, just in case.

m a d r a
Mac Elite
Jul 4, 2005, 12:43 PM

links to mine are under my sig; "work" is my company site and "play" is my 'railing against the world' blog type thing.

i use photoshop for the image creation, dreamweaver MX for doing the rough layout, BBedit or subethaedit for cleaning up the horrible code dreamweaver writes and for writing PHP and javascript stuff, CSSedit for writing my stylesheets and transmit for uploading it all to the web.

... oh. and the obligatory "blog no-one ever reads" is done using wordpress.

amiesue
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 5, 2005, 09:02 AM

http://www.creativelymac.com

Dreamweaver MX and a template to start... alterations to the CSS, etc as I am learning more, but whoo I have been neglecting this.... it is need of some serious updating!

Have had a lot of issues with IE and the CSS, etc, so been trying to clean some of that up - now it's time to get back to some new content.

Also use BBCLONE for statistics (http://bbclone.de/) and it is great! I highly reccomend this just to see what drives traffic to your site.

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2005, 08:45 PM

---> <---

Just my personal site, wanted a place to show off my photos (and I'm working on getting some more real design work up there, but I'm still just a student ). The "myth" theme for the site is just a silly pun on my name I came up with one night.

I used GoLive CS (now using CS2 which handles my valid XHTML/CSS a lot better) for my development environment, though I coded most of the XHTML by hand. I used the CSS editor to write my style sheet file, though I also worked on the source a little by hand.

Photoshop was used to produce all of the graphical content. I used the PNG format for almost all the layout graphics, and in fact a lot of the time the files turned out as small or smaller than they would have using JPEG of GIF, which would have looked worse!

The site's as modern and standards compliant as I could get it. I tried to avoid the use of tables wherever possible and was mostly successful, though ended up having to use them in a few places (probably fairly appropriate ones). I added the PNG hack from the If IE doesn't work sticky thread (the only part of my CSS file that doesn't validate!) to get them to display correctly in IE6 and earlier. The only part of my XHTML 1.0 Strict code that doesn't validate, that I'm aware of, is some JavaScript code. I put a lot of effort into getting it all to validate.

Of course I tested the site on every browser I could get my hands on (Safari, Firefox, Opera, IE5 for Mac; IE6, Firefox, Opera for Windows; don't have access to Linux or mobile browsers, though I ensured it was readable without the style sheets) and did a LOT of frustrating tinkering with the code to get it to display as best I could on them all. I'm subtly using some text-shadow on some text, so the site looks best in Safari (I like its rendering the best anyway), or whatever other browsers are supporting that attribute these days.

I didn't need to do all of what I did, but the site is my pet project and I wanted to go all the way. Sorry for the long-winded response, maybe some of what I said could be helpful.
( Last edited by Apfhex; Jul 5, 2005 at 08:59 PM. )
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 6, 2005, 12:19 AM

@Apfhex,
nice photography

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Jul 6, 2005, 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by mdc
@Apfhex,
nice photography
Thank you
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

tiffer17
Forum Regular
Jul 6, 2005, 03:31 AM

I am currently working on a new design for my personal blog. This is what I have so far. It was made entirely from scratch in SubEthaEdit and Photoshop. I'm not completely happy with it yet, and I still have some bugs to work out as well.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Jul 6, 2005, 04:11 PM

http://www.joshuazimmerman.com

I just use MoveableType 3.15 for blogging, as well as some basic html skills, some fun html exporting from iPhoto, and Ecto for posting blogs. CyberDuck does my ftping.

jersey
Senior User
Jul 11, 2005, 11:08 PM

gone
gone

i used golive to build the site and imageready to do the very minimal flash

she used golive, dreamwear and flash

host them both out of the house.
( Last edited by jersey; Jun 23, 2010 at 03:02 PM. )

TheMosco
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2005, 12:20 AM

http://mike-m.org/mambo

Very much a work in progress. I adapted a html template from http://intensivstation.ch/ with some custom graphics and mambo php. The Polls module will soon be replaced with a gallery module.

I used bbedit, photoshop, illustrator. Please, Post some comments on what you like/don't like. I am not sure if I like the green heading or not.h

If anyone can help, check out this thread to help.
( Last edited by TheMosco; Jul 12, 2005 at 09:12 AM. )
AXP
ΔΣΦ

spatterson
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2005, 06:57 PM

I swore I allready posted in this, but my message isn't here...

Its a Table nightmear right now http://www.scottpatterson.us

I am currently developing a flash based site, in favor of CSS positioning

Forum Links
Forum Rules