Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > ~ The official Tiger buglist

~ The official Tiger buglist (Page 11)
Hinson
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 15, 2005, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by chabig
No. I did. COMMAND-double-click adjusts one column width to fit. OPTION-double-click makes all columns the same width adjusted to fit the widest content.

Neither of those do anything special for me--what gives?

WAIT... I just realized the problem. I'm talking about list view, not column view. Sorry for the confusion!

In list view, when you have name, size, kind, date modified, etc. In Windoze you can double-click the separator line between the column headings and the given column auto-sizes. Also, it's in this view that, in Tiger, when you hover over the separator between the column headings, the cursor doesn't properly change to the "resize" cursor until you actually click.

-Jay
( Last edited by Hinson; Jun 15, 2005 at 12:38 AM. )

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2005, 07:39 AM

Ahhhh.... list view. I agree with everything you said then.

Chris

moofman
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 21, 2005, 05:39 AM

I've got an external hard drive that perpetually spins now that I've updated to Tiger. It's a crappy casing, and I need to get a new one for the hard drive, but it's never done this before. I've had trouble with it jamming during heavy data moving, but it's absolutely useless right now, which sucks, because all my music is on it.

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2005, 06:38 AM

What brand is it?

moofman
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 21, 2005, 05:33 PM

As I said, crappy casing called "Smart-Drive". That's more than likely the problem, not Tiger. It's just never happened before

tie
Professional Poster
Jul 11, 2005, 01:00 AM

Spotlight can't search for decimal numbers, only integers. The Exposure time query (mapped to kMDItemExposureTimeSeconds) is therefore not too useful (I can search for photos with an exposure time of > 1 second, for example, but not < 0.25 seconds -- nor < 1/4 second). kMDItemAperture seems to be rounded to the nearest integer (e.g. f2.8 to f3) and works fine.

Edit: In fact, Spotlight can search for decimal numbers just fine, as one can tell either by using mdfind directly, or by editing the smart folder with a text editor. The problem is that the interface rounds to the next lowest integer (so entering < 0.25 will actually give you < 0 and thus no results.
( Last edited by tie; Jul 11, 2005 at 01:31 AM. )

pat++
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2005, 05:00 PM

does anyone manage to unminimize Quicktime movie windows once they are minimized in the Dock? Is this a new feature of 10.4.2 ? grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr....

SS3 GokouX
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 18, 2005, 07:12 PM

I've been unable to unminimize QuickTime movies since 10.4. Sometimes going to the Window menu and clicking the window from there gets it back on screen, but still leaves behind the icon in the Dock.

"And I will rule you all with an iron fist! You! OBEY THE FIST!" -Invader Zim

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2005, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by pat++
does anyone manage to unminimize Quicktime movie windows once they are minimized in the Dock? Is this a new feature of 10.4.2 ? grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr....
Problem here too, since 10.4.2.

mmintler
Forum Regular
Jul 28, 2005, 01:00 PM

I don't know if this is a bug... but I don't like the change. The search box at the top of a finder window used to filter the content of the folder you were in.... now it seems to work like spotlight..sort of.. this is bad UI.. We have the "find" command and spotlight-being able to filter folder content was very useful.

And spotlight is so slowwwwwwww... on my 1.3 G4 Powerbook with 756mg ram. Also, when you do a "find" and start entering your search words you have to wait after each letter for the system to catch up...ugggggggggggggg
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-
Albert Einstein

Magic Marc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 28, 2005, 02:05 PM

My Dual 800 Quicksilver is continually going to sleep when left unattended and failing to wake.

I have the energy saver panel set to Never. The Monitor panel set to Never and the Hard drive panel set to Never. The machine still goes to sleep. I have to restart it to wake it up.

System Specs:
I have a ATI Radeon Pro 9800, a Pioneer DVR 108, and 3 harddrives 2 WDC WD800BB and a WDC 1000BB-32C. I have removed a Matrox RTMac card as it doesn't work with Tiger.I have dual Envision 19 monitors and standard keyboard and a Microsoft 2 button scroll wheel mouse. I have Parliant's PhoneValet running 2.2 software. I have multiple USB hubs including a a powered USB 2.0 hub.

This problem prevents PhoneValet from working which is neccessary to my job.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Butch Hauke
Jul 28, 2005, 11:42 PM

Do you have the DivX decoder installed? I think the problem you're describing is caused by it's auto update files which are either in the system folder or library.

Butch
iMac Aluminum 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo/20"/4GB RAM
iPod touch 16Gb (Black Diamond) in an iSkin touch
AppleTV 40GB / Koss KSC-75

Butch Hauke
Aug 4, 2005, 07:50 AM

Just to confirm, on my iMac G5 running 10.4.2, this issue was caused by the DivX 5 component itself. If you've installed this component, you can confirm the fix by removing it from Library/QuickTime/.

Butch
iMac Aluminum 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo/20"/4GB RAM
iPod touch 16Gb (Black Diamond) in an iSkin touch
AppleTV 40GB / Koss KSC-75

ringmod
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 10, 2005, 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by Souljah
I had a perfectly running silent machine.
I installed Tiger on sunday and noticed a beeping coming from the case.

Found out that it's perfectly in sync to the second with the system's digital clock.

Read a few places that it's definetly caused by the power supply but few had any success getting rid of it.

I have been running this cpu since July 04 when I purchased it, on the Highest" setting in the Energy Saver preference panel with no problems.

So I set it back to "Automatic" but the beeping is still there, just a tad quieter but still damn noticable.

Anyone here have this beeping on a G5 before Tiger and managed to get rid of it?
Is it back?
http://venueserver.rcc.ryerson.ca/in...d=30&Itemid=40

i used the chud version - the first version didn't work for me. at first the option to disable naps was grayed out, but if you close system prefs and reopen it should be available. peace,

ringmod

tie
Professional Poster
Aug 25, 2005, 07:10 PM

Fun with the Dock:

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2005, 07:11 PM

Your Finder is trying to hide behind Safari.

gradient
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2005, 10:44 AM

My iBook's scrolling trackpad feature doesn't work in all programs - including iTunes, supposedly one of Apple's flagship apps. Most likely just a software problem, though, I suppose - maybe not OS related.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 26, 2005, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by gradient
My iBook's scrolling trackpad feature doesn't work in all programs - including iTunes, supposedly one of Apple's flagship apps. Most likely just a software problem, though, I suppose - maybe not OS related.
It definitely should work--it does on mine. The iBook simply sees the trackpad the same as a scrolling mouse. It it scrolls in one app it should scroll in all.

Chris

gradient
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2005, 01:47 AM

hmmm......

Boondoggle
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 1, 2005, 11:02 PM

Smart folders can't seem to find comments when you specify that the folder search for comments, even though it can find the comments in a "general" search.

Check it out here:

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?t=268094
1.25GHz PowerBook

i vostri seni sono spettacolari

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 2, 2005, 03:01 AM

I think I've discovered a new Tiger bug!

When I boot my PowerBook and go check the sound balance it's sometimes equal and sometimes totally shifted (like all the way to the left speaker). I can then re-center the balance and close the pref pane. Then I plug in my headphones and open the pane again. I will now sometimes get again a totally shifted balance. It's weird because it doesn't happen every time and after every reboot, but just sometimes. And at other times, it helps to unplug and plug in the headphones again. Strange. And it's certainly not been that way under any Panther version I had.

Does anybody else have that bug? It popped up on a clean Tiger install, too.

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2005, 04:19 AM

Well, you prompted me to check mine and make sure, and I found that mine was only a little shifted to the left.

Then I realized that I have another problem with sound...

1) I get no, absolutely NO system beep sound. Not when choosing one in the list, not when it actually happens.

2) Sometimes Flash sound doesn't work. Sometimes it does.

3) And most recent, RealPlayer all of a sudden doesn't have sound at all. It wouldn't be a problem is Monk Season 1 had been ripped in a better format... as long as it isn't WMV. (It worked fine the other day. No problems. In fact, it worked so freaking much better than Windows Media Player. I was impressed. Then all of a sudden it stopped playing sound. And nothing will bring it back.

grobbins
Sep 4, 2005, 09:58 PM

Sound problems on recent Mac hardware can often be fixed by launching Apple's GarageBand software once.

spiff72
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 4, 2005, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by grobbins
Sound problems on recent Mac hardware can often be fixed by launching Apple's GarageBand software once.
I have found that opening the "Audio MIDI Setup" program from the utilities folder and setting the intput and output sample frequencies to 44100 Hz does the trick, also. Opening Garageband seems to do the same thing (if you look at the setting in the Audio MIDI Setup program before and after opening Garageband). I don't have Garageband installed, so the Audio MIDI program is a lifesaver.
"Mac Daddy" - 15" MBP, 2.2 GHz Core i7, 8GB, 750GB HDD
"Mommy Mac" - 13" Macbook, 2.4GHz C2D, 2GB, 160GB
"Baby Mac" - 15" PB, 1.5GHz, 1.5GB, 80GB
64GB iPod Touch (4th gen)

spiff72
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 4, 2005, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by Simon
I think I've discovered a new Tiger bug!

When I boot my PowerBook and go check the sound balance it's sometimes equal and sometimes totally shifted (like all the way to the left speaker). I can then re-center the balance and close the pref pane. Then I plug in my headphones and open the pane again. I will now sometimes get again a totally shifted balance. It's weird because it doesn't happen every time and after every reboot, but just sometimes. And at other times, it helps to unplug and plug in the headphones again. Strange. And it's certainly not been that way under any Panther version I had.

Does anybody else have that bug? It popped up on a clean Tiger install, too.
My PB doesn't shift the balance around like you, but plugging in headphones and then unplugging them can cause problems where I lose all sound, or I lose sound on non-Apple apps. It seems to be related to the powerbook trying to switch to digital optical audio when the headphone jack is inserted. This seems to force the sample rates to 96000 Hz, which is apparently incompatible with some apps. See my other post above for a workaround.

I also see that when you remove the headphone jack, the contacts inside don't necessarily revert back to their original positions - this is usually the cause of the "no sound" condition. Inserting and then removing usually helps with this.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 5, 2005, 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by spiff72
I have found that opening the "Audio MIDI Setup" program from the utilities folder and setting the intput and output sample frequencies to 44100 Hz does the trick, also.
Strange. I tried that too, but right after setting those values, my sound balance was set to be all left only.

pliny
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2005, 09:22 AM

Tiger's default is to have IPV6 automatically configure. This was causing my computers to hang and crash on the browsers and some other internet apps, anybody else experienced this?

I just turned the ipv6 configuration to "off" and this has stopped the problem.
i look in your general direction

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 12, 2005, 02:55 AM

Here's a new one! (at least I think, didn't go back all the way to page one to check)

My man pages are gone! I can do a 'man anything' and it just says 'No manual entry for ...'.

Has anybody else lost their man pages? Or am I missing the obvious here?

jdalbec
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 3, 2005, 07:35 PM

After installing Tiger I found that my Pioneer DVR-106D Firmware 1.07 wouldn't umount after a period of inactivity and I would have to power-cycle the machine. An earlier message suggested the display energy saver might be at fault. I tried turning the display energy saver off but it didn't help. What fixed the problem for me was unchecking the "Put the hard disk(s) to sleep when possible" box. My guess is that the sleep logic in the OS gets confused and thinks the superdrive is a hard disk and tries to spin it down.

pat++
Mac Elite
Oct 22, 2005, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Butch Hauke
Just to confirm, on my iMac G5 running 10.4.2, this issue was caused by the DivX 5 component itself. If you've installed this component, you can confirm the fix by removing it from Library/QuickTime/.

Butch
Well spotted! removing the DivX5 component does fix the issue.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 24, 2005, 08:09 PM

My iBook also shifts the sound balance around.

Anyone worked out why yet?

Sharky K.
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2005, 04:32 PM

when you have a person in your jabber and(!) buddy list (in address book too) and you want to turn off "Always use this picture" in your jabber list from that person, then the AIM name of that same buddy is deleted in your address book and is not linked with the person in your buddy list... repeatable on different computers.

Sharky K.
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2005, 04:35 PM

double post, macnn server is doing strange

Scandalous Ion Cannon
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2005, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker
Preview:
In all other versions if I opened up a bunch of images in preview (so it shows them in a drawer) I could then move the original files to a different location in the finder. If I do this in Tiger Preview closes the window and all the images have to be re-opened in the new location.

Preview also used to let me take an image from the drawer and drag it to another folder (say on the desktop) or the desktop itself where it would make a copy of it. Now it is hit or miss. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't turning the cursor into a "no smoking sign" thing. Permissions are all correct. Also if you drag a thumbnail from the drawer to some parts of the screen it deletes the thumbnail from the drawer in a POOF but doesn't delete the file itself. Strange.

Safari RSS:
Smooth scrolling doesn't work in a RSS summary page.
Neither is fixed in 10.4.3
"That's okay, I'd like to keep it on manual control for a while."

ink
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2005, 10:08 PM

One can no longer specify an address for smb or afp network printers (you still can for LPR-ish printers; go figure...). The Finder still works great for file-sharing, but that feature was removed for printing in Tiger. I can't print from my Mac laptops anymore; under Panther and Jaguar it worked fine.

"Browsing" consists of showing only my Mac, and nothing else. Antisocial, to say the least.

Also a plea: Please don't force me to run Dashboard on my ancient 500Mhz iBook; it eats up RAM and barely works. I also never use Spotlight, so it's a complete waste of real-estate.

Rob van dam
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 25, 2005, 07:03 AM

After flicking through al 11 pages i just wanted to know if people actually submit these bugs or just post them here.
Apple an innovator in a world of Immitators.
And thats the bottom line!!!!!!!!!

drdkdover
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 7, 2005, 03:38 PM

We just upgraded to a new G5 and Tiger 10.4.3 at work. Many times a day I wish to click and drag fiiles to the upper (Hidden)part of a window, and it won't work.............Anybody have any tips on how to fix this annoying bug?????

Thinine
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2005, 04:33 PM

Dragging to non-visible parts of windows is sometimes touchy, since you have to get the cursor into a relatively small spot at the top of the file listing.

sesweitzer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 31, 2006, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by glyph
I don't know if this has been posted yet, but I've found and annoyance/bug in Finder.

I set a folder preference (permission) to 'no access' on a folder and when browsing the folder in column view, the 'Preview:' pane under 'Last Opened' reads: 'Fetching...' and remains that way. Similarly, if I select 'More Info' from this pane or from the 'Get Info' - in the Info box under 'More Info' reads the same - except it has the little spinning animated icon also. It just hangs there in the fetch mode.

it would be nice if it didn't hang there and instead said: 'access denied' or something like that.
Since this is the only place I found mention of this when I Googled "Last Opened" and "Fetching" I figured it would be a good place to leave my experience with this issue.

I was having problems with iTunes accessing the iTunes Library file over a network. It kept telling me the folder; file or drive was locked although I knew this was not the case. When I examined the file over the network (Get Info) I found that the "Last Opened" area was stuck in a "Fetching" mode with a spinning ball. Ironically, I could open this file and iTunes on the Host machine and there was no "Fetching" spinning ball when I opened it that way. After pondering this overnight, I decided that the file must be corrupted in some way so I duplicated it and the in the new file, the "Last Opened" area actually showed a date and not the "Fetching" ball. I then changed the names of the files so that my old file was labeled iTunes Library Copy and the new file was labeled iTunes Library. iTunes then accessed the file correctly over the network. The final twist came when I tried to throw away the iTunes Library Copy (the original problem file). I couldn't do it over the network but I could do it from the Host machine.
I hope this will be of help to someone someday.

threestain
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2006, 09:48 AM

has anyone else had this behaviour?

Whenever dialogue boxes spring up (when using an external mouse on my TiBook running 10.4.4) the pointer automatically moves to the highlighted one, which causes me to click in mistake a lot. I'm sure this didn't normally happen - only noticed it recently.

Anyone help?

spiff72
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 1, 2006, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by threestain
has anyone else had this behaviour?

Whenever dialogue boxes spring up (when using an external mouse on my TiBook running 10.4.4) the pointer automatically moves to the highlighted one, which causes me to click in mistake a lot. I'm sure this didn't normally happen - only noticed it recently.

Anyone help?

That sounds like one of the mouse options in Windoze. They call it "smart mouse moves" or something like this for Logitech products. Is there a setting for this in your mouse preferences? I don't use an external mouse on my PB, so I am not sure about the drivers/preferences.

threestain
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2006, 10:31 AM

nope nothing there, nor in universal access. its really irritating! Mouse is just a generic (free from drug company in fact)

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 1, 2006, 01:32 PM

Some bugs encountered with 10.4.4:

Some apps, namely Quicktime, iTunes, TextEdit; if a file is opened, then closed and moved to the trash, the application must be quit before emptying the trash. Otherwise a 'file is in use' message pops up.

Text Encoding: This is a bit inconsistent - with 10.4.4 many web pages don't honor my settings, forcing me to manually change the text encoding for each page.

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2006, 11:15 PM

Alright. I posted this at MacAddict months ago and never got a response, but it really bugs the hell out of me it's still happening...

These "Temp" files show up in EVERY Spotlight search. They're not real files. They don't actually exist. They will NOT GO AWAY! What the hell are they, where are they coming from? Has anyone else seen this?

They only seem to appear when Spotlight searches a certain partition. (The one named Files which contains my Text Files, Sound Files, Sites, Pictures, Music, Movies and Installers folders.)

I have a sneaking suspicion it's a corrupt Spotlight index of that partition. So I am trying to delete the index. How do I do that?

spiff72
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 2, 2006, 09:00 AM

I am not positive, but I think you can force spotlight to re-index your drive...

Go to the privacy tab of the spotlight preferences, and click the plus sign. Add the entire hard drive to the list (so it won't index it). Close out of the prefs, and then go back in and remove that hard drive from the list on the privacy tab. This should force it to re-index.

Dog Like Nature
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 2, 2006, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by spiff72
I am not positive, but I think you can force spotlight to re-index your drive...
All you need to do is remove a hidden directory at the root level of the volume. It's called ".Spotlight-V100".

You can run mdimport at any time to re-index.
╭1.5GHz G4 15" PB, 2.0GB RAM, 128MB VRAM, 100GB 7200rpm HD, AEBS, BT kbd
╰2.0GHz T2500 20" iMac, 1.5GB RAM, 128MB VRAM, 250GB 7200rpm HD

http://www.DogLikeNature.com/

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2006, 11:00 PM

You know, I tried deleting the hidden V100 folder and screw up my trash can. Now it constantly says it has files in it because it can't delete the non-existant hidden index folder. Bloody hell.

I'm following the instructions here to see if I can get them Temps out of there:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=301562

spiff72
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 2, 2006, 11:28 PM

Hey look at that! Those are the instructions I posted...

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2006, 04:32 PM

BTW, it worked. Adding and removing the drives destroyed all those phantom Spotlight entries. Thanks, guys.

syspro
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 17, 2006, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by LightWaver-67
I am perfectly aware that iCal needs to be running for the dock icon to be "aware" of the current date.
Since my original post, I must confess that as-of yesterday... it has started working again. I have NO IDEA what changed... but now the dock icon displays todays current date.

Quite odd.
Importantly, it did used to update once iCal was run and then KEEP that date until a reboot/logout would reset to Jul 17th (or launching iCal again after midnight or on another day would update it).

More importantly, in Tiger, it now updates and then reverts even sooner, after you quit iCal now - that's worse!

Most importantly, iCal runs an alarm checker/scheduler even when iCal is not running itself, so as long as you don't turn that off in iCal preferences, then it should be TRIVIAL for Apple to inlcude a simple icon updater to this daemon (although I don't see it as a running process at the moment - maybe it only runs if there's at least one alarm to remember, and I have none?)! - but you get the idea.

-------------------------
3 steps forward, 2 steps back
-------------------------

Forum Links
Forum Rules