Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Our Archives > General Archives > Delicious Monster > iphone sdk

iphone sdk
anyrandomthing
Feb 1, 2008, 01:42 AM

So now that the iphone sdk comes out shortly, and DL2 will be completed soon (eh), it seems plausible DM could spend a little time after the release and related riots to put some iphone related library apps together.

I don't know about you, but I think a really simple iphone optimized library (this could potentially just be done with a modified html export) would be awesome. Further, if they could let you use the iphone camera as scanner, hook up to itunes, sync data back over to DL.

i think wil mentioned the sdk on his blog a couple months ago, but i havent heard anything since. anyone else have some bright ideas?

illitrate
Feb 1, 2008, 02:56 AM

using the iPhone camera in the same way as the iSight would be genius

collide007
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 24, 2008, 08:40 AM

Or any mobile phone for that matter, and why stop at syncing, maybe it would be possible to incorporate a phone's bluetooth capability and use the camera as a bluetooth scanner hooked directly to your mac.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 24, 2008, 07:02 PM

Uhm, I don't see the appeal of having DL on an iPhone.

Except, of course, you'd need to brag about your library outside of your home

-t

CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 24, 2008, 11:57 PM

It would be cool to scan books at the store straight into a "wish-list" library.

auribe14
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 25, 2008, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Uhm, I don't see the appeal of having DL on an iPhone.
Umm, for the rest of us with many, many books (CDs, etc.) and not a photographic memory? To be able to easily see what we own already?

Granted, full DL might be overkill, but something very searchable and DL-pretty would be good. And I like the mobile wish-list adding idea.

anyrandomthing  (op)
Feb 25, 2008, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by CaptainHaddock View Post
It would be cool to scan books at the store straight into a "wish-list" library.
Agreed.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 26, 2008, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by auribe14 View Post
Umm, for the rest of us with many, many books (CDs, etc.) and not a photographic memory? To be able to easily see what we own already?
I just dont' see the point.

Why do you need a list of all your books with you at all times ?

-t

Galley99
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 27, 2008, 12:55 AM

I just dont' see the point.

Why do you need a list of all your books with you at all times ?

-t
So you don't buy the same thing twice?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 27, 2008, 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by Galley99 View Post
So you don't buy the same thing twice?
I have hundreds of books, but it never happened to me before. But maybe I'm just different. OTOH, I buy my books online anyways, so I would have access to DL.

-t

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 28, 2008, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by auribe14 View Post

Granted, full DL might be overkill, but something very searchable and DL-pretty would be good. And I like the mobile wish-list adding idea.
The Web sharing feature of DL 2 seems like it might do what you want.

(Usual disclaimer: I'm not affiliated with DM in any way, just in case anyone was wondering. I moderate other forums on MacNN.)
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

auribe14
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 28, 2008, 11:42 PM

Don't know how searchable that is.

illitrate
Mar 1, 2008, 04:55 PM

I have hundreds of books, but it never happened to me before. But maybe I'm just different. OTOH, I buy my books online anyways, so I would have access to DL.
-t
yeah, well i have thousands of dvd and i've got about 50 duplicates where i've seen a dvd on sale in a shop and i think i've yet to buy it, so i get it then when i get home, i realise it's already on a shelf
or i pre-order something months before release, then see it in the shop on release day, check the webstore to see if i've got it ordered, can't find it so i buy it - but then i discover it was in the post and arrives two days later
having my DL library in a simple format but quickly searchable would save me a lot of effort in sending items back, and wasted money for the ones where i just end up with 2 copies

obviously, i've not got the brilliant memory that you have, but anyone else like me who can't memorise our entire collections, it'd be useful to have it on the phone

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 1, 2008, 05:05 PM

Funny enough, I'm having a much harder time knowing what movies I've seen (or not) than books that I've read.

It might have to do with the fact that movies get "consumed" more than books. Reading a book is a more engaging, active and time-consuming task than just watching a movie. Therefore, it "sticks" more to your memory.

-t

TravisReynolds
Mar 5, 2008, 02:04 AM

i read online about the sdk, i heard that most apps will be out by summer and it wont include flash
From the one, and Only Travis Reynolds. You stay classy San Diego

64stang06
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2008, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by TravisReynolds View Post
i read online about the sdk, i heard that most apps will be out by summer and it wont include flash
Not to mention, one app running at a time only, which will quit when you switch to something else.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

k squared
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 8, 2008, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by 64stang06 View Post
Not to mention, one app running at a time only, which will quit when you switch to something else.
I'm not sure what the big deal is. The iphone already does this. Only Mail, Phone, and SMS are allowed to have background processes running, I believe. If this forces developers to write better applications, so be it.

And I've never had a problem with this: notes, music store, safari, camera -- all pick up exactly where they left off with out loss of data. Write an application meant for the iphone and not a desktop, and there shouldn't be a problem.

This is a big deal because some people what to make it a big deal, increasing hits to their websites.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Mar 8, 2008, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by k squared View Post
I'm not sure what the big deal is. The iphone already does this. Only Mail, Phone, and SMS are allowed to have background processes running, I believe.
This sounds like a good argument for allowing processes to run in the background.

If this forces developers to write better applications, so be it.
Uh…what? How would this force developers to write better applications? This seems like saying, "If this creates world peace, so be it."
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

64stang06
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2008, 08:49 PM

I'm not sure what the big deal is. The iphone already does this. Only Mail, Phone, and SMS are allowed to have background processes running, I believe. If this forces developers to write better applications, so be it.

And I've never had a problem with this: notes, music store, safari, camera -- all pick up exactly where they left off with out loss of data. Write an application meant for the iphone and not a desktop, and there shouldn't be a problem.

This is a big deal because some people what to make it a big deal, increasing hits to their websites.
My complaint is this (and I may be the only one, so be it): My old Sony Ericsson phone was able to have AIM running in the background while I was on the phone or doing other things. And for the record, I never once had an issue with the phone software while doing all of that.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

Forum Links
Forum Rules