Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Need an app for comparing documents...

Need an app for comparing documents...
krx
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 7, 2009, 02:16 PM

I am in the process of sorting thru all my old documents - many of which are duplicates or near duplicates. I'm wondering, is there a tool or app that can scan a folder containing multiple (ie, hundreds or thousands) of user-created documents and tell me which ones are duplicates? Also, is there an app that will allow me to compare two or more documents (eg, revisions of the same document) to see where they differ?

Thanks!

JKT
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2009, 02:58 PM

I've not used it, but Tidy Up! is one app that can search for duplicate documents. There are probably others. I think there is a CLI tool to compare similar documents but I can't recall what it is ... sorry.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 7, 2009, 03:21 PM

The CLI program is diff. It's included with OS X.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 7, 2009, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
The CLI program is diff. It's included with OS X.
Yea but if they're Word or some other heinous format, even trivial changes will have huge metadata diffs.

krx  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 8, 2009, 09:38 AM

Tidy Up! looks like it might solve the duplcates problem. I will give it a try...

What's the CLI program called? Or where can I find it?

Also still looking for a way to compare docs. I have a lot of unfinished writing projects. For example, I might have ten revisions of the same document some of which are almost identical. I'd like to be able to quickly see where they differ (highlighted or something) so I can consolidate them and eliminate superfluous stuff.

I know MS Word has something like this (think it's actually called "Compare Documents") but I'm wondering what else might be available.

Thanks for the input.

brettcamp
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 18, 2009, 03:27 AM

DiffFrontend.
But as noted above, with formatted text, you get lots of differences, to the point where it may not be useful. Word's file comparison ability is one of the few aspects of that app I miss, but it's certainly not worth using Word for. Hope you find a better text file comparer.

OreoCookie
Aug 18, 2009, 03:49 AM

OS X has a nice frontend for that, too, FileMerge (which I love). Unfortunately, as people have pointed out, it's useless for anything but text files.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules